What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Need Advice On Picking First Hot Tub  (Read 5037 times)

Monk

Need Advice On Picking First Hot Tub
« on: April 28, 2006, 01:27:16 am »
Hello,

The wife and I are now "empty-nesters" and have decided to purchase our first hot tub. Truth be told, we had no idea there were so many choices! We have spent the better part of 2 months looking at and researching everything we can. Tonight, during another search I found this website. I have spent more time than I want to admit reading posts here :)

Like I said, we are alone, so we are not in need of, nor do we desire a large hot tub. We will not be hosting hot tub parties so there is no need to buy the "Biggest and the best".

After an exhaustive search, we have narrowed the field to the following choices:

1. Marquis Retreat
2. Hot Spring Jetsetter
3. Thermospa Lexington
4. Jacuzzi J-220

The Marquis is highest on our list. The dealer was far and away the most helpful and did not pressure us. In fact, he told us to make sure we wet tested every model we were interested in and wanted us to make an educated purchase, even if it meant buying from another dealer.....That impressed us both.

So, does anyone have an opinion on any of the above mentioned hot tubs? If so, I would love to hear the good, bad and ugly.

Hot Tub Forum

Need Advice On Picking First Hot Tub
« on: April 28, 2006, 01:27:16 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Need Advice On Picking First Hot Tub
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 02:06:58 am »
1, 2 and 4 are all very worthy, you can't go wrong with any of them and you'll find people here who have them. I'd just scratch #3 off the list if it were me.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chemmie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 07:38:21 am »
My advice is to listen to the dealer and wet-test them.

We recently went into the showrooms and thought we wanted one model.  After wet-testing EVERYTHING, we ended up getting a completely different model that wasn't even on our short-list.

You really never know until you try it out.

J._McD

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 08:31:03 am »
#1 as you describe your introduction, buy the Marquis and get into Hot Water, you will love it.

It is an excellent product and it sounds like you have a professional dealer who is interested in helping you find the right tub, of course he is confident he has what you are looking for.

If you wanted to add something to the mix, I would suggest that you look at the ultimate empty nester, silver set, kids are out of college Hot Tub for two, the D1 Dupree Bay.  

What ever you decide on you are going to own it for a very long time, so of course you want to buy the right one.  I would simply say buy the Marquis, but look at the Dupree Bay.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 08:55:50 am »
I agree with the others that the Marquis and the Hotspring are the better tubs on your list.  Each offering a lounger and standard seating, and a decent variety of jets for the class of tub.

The Jacuzzi although a decent brand. The 220 is simple round tub, that would be fine for a bit of hot water or get togethors. but offers very little for therapy.

Thermospas:  I think you'll find that although some folks are happy with thier spas, the pricing and sales tatics  make this tub a crap shoot.  To me, it looks very uncomfortable.  I think you'd be best served sticking with a quality local dealer, and with a tub you can wet test.

I belive these tubs are all 110v?  To me this is a concern if you are in a cooler climate, and the tub will be placed outside.  with a 110v set up, you will not be able to run the pumps and the heater at the same time.  - just somehting to be aware of -

Additionaly, although the majority of the time it wil be you and your wife in the tub,  sometimes it nice to invite a few friends, or just have that little extra room for yourself, and personaly would recomend at least a 4 person tub if you have the room for it.  

And I strongly echo  Chemmie's thoughts on wet testing.
(funny,  I had the same expereince,  I wet tested and ended up buying a different spa than what was even on my list.  I also think Chemmie and I ended buying the same tub. :)  )

For what's worth, I'd also take a soak in a few models outside your price and size,  if only as a reference point.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 09:09:07 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

RPG

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 09:28:40 am »

Welcome to the board and may your stay be long and fruitful!

I will simply echo the sentiments of the previous posters and encourage you to try out spas #1, #2, and #4 for yourself and then follow your heart.  Choice #3 might present a wee problem as they do not offer a physical product for you to see and touch.  Your other choices are all wonderful spas which will fill your life with joy for many years to come!

Enjoy the journey. :)

The Spa Fairy

blizzard

• Always gettin in to HOT water
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 09:47:06 am »
I am for a larger tub even though for the most part only two will be using it because it gives you more room to stretch out jand just have your own space if you want. We have a 6 to 8 person tub and normally only two are in it at the same time.  

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 10:08:04 am »
yes, 1,2,&4 are all good choices.  You could fit 4 in the Marquis Retreat if necessary.  The Retreat can also be wired 220v, so you would be able to run the jets and heat at the same time if you opted to have the 220v circuit run.  

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 10:18:26 am »
I am for a larger tub even though for the most part only two will be using it because it gives you more room to stretch out jand just have your own space if you want. We have a 6 to 8 person tub and normally only two are in it at the same time.  

That was our thinking also.  Our tub is huge.  91x91.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 11:19:35 am »
There could be a misunderstanding about hydrotherapy and spas.  A larger tub has more stations that hit different parts of your body.  All tubs work best with only a few people in them at a time.  If you have the space, and the money, consider larger tubs as well as the smaller ones.  As far as brands go, the Marquis, HotSpring, and Jacuzzi are all from reputable companies.  The dealer is critical to the whole sale.  I would suggest you wet test a few different tubs at the Marquis dealer you are comfortable with and pick the one that works best for you.  I would move to the other brands only if you are not comfortable with any of the Marquis spas that you try.  The reason I say that is too many choices can confuse the issue.

Regards,

Bill

hymbaw

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 11:35:48 am »
1, 2, & 4 all good tubs from reputable companies. I suggest throwing Sundance into the mix(I am a dealer, after all) and wet testing them all. Pick the one you liked best and you cant miss.

A couple of possibilies from our line

People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Monk

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 01:00:09 pm »
Thank you each for your replies and suggestions.

A few things I forgot to mention is that money is an issue. We need to stay at less than $4500. That being the case, the playing field gets reduced quickly.

Also, we plan on starting out with a hot tub that is 110V, but can convert to 220V down the road.

As mentioned, we simply will not have guests using our hot tub. so we are not interested in a large model.. This would be a waste of space and cost as far as we are concerned.

I am still leaning on the Marquis Retreat. It wet tested like a dream and we both liked the non-pressure salesman. Unlike our experience at 2 other dealerships where they not only bragged about their product, but they also bad mouthed the other brands. That to me signals a lazy salesman who will say anything for a sale. That turned us both off.

We feel that is you can't say anything good, keep it too yourself, because people like us will move on to another dealer.

Thanks again for you help in our quest.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 01:05:52 pm »
As mentioned all the spas you have looked at excluding the one you can only be told about but cannot actually see are good choices. If you have wet tested and like the Marquis than go for it. Over all you are looking at good spas by good company's.

Vanguard

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 01:10:50 pm »
Check out the Solana line of spas from Hot Spring.  The SX is a bit smaller than the Marquis, but it does have a Moto Massage and three seats.  It is a 110 spa.  Be sure to wet test it if you can.  Most dealers will probably have to fill one for you to do that, but it is a very comfortable spa.

Check out the link.

http://www.solanaspa.com/showroom_sx.html
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 09:41:49 pm »
little impartial to the jetsetter, but go with the dealer who makes you feel the most comfortable. good luck.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 09:41:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42