What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: new status  (Read 4824 times)

dswslp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
new status
« on: April 28, 2006, 04:03:18 pm »
wow i just realized i'm now a junior member!! pop the corks.  actually i saved soooooo much on my xl 1100 gulf coast that i paid for a cruise for 4  with the difference

Hot Tub Forum

new status
« on: April 28, 2006, 04:03:18 pm »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: new status
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 04:08:44 pm »
Did they have hot tubs on the ship?  Were they in ground ones?  Did the water appear to be maintained?

Where did ya'll go?

One of my customers goes on about 6 cruises/year.  He's a UPS driver and he organizes group cruises, so he gets to go free.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

dswslp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
?Re: new status
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 04:13:54 pm »
honestly their were 3 or 4 on the ship but always filled with young kids we shyed away from them.  how would you maintain tubs with constant use including young kids?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 04:17:49 pm »
I'm gonna find out Sunday.  We're having my daughter's  birthday party at the store.

I thought about just going ahead and draining the spas and filling them back up with pee so the kids won't have to worry about doing it.

Terminator

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 04:18:18 pm »
The last cruise I was on refilled the spas twice a day with filtered sea water.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

dswslp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2006, 04:33:22 pm »
boy the forum is slow today.  if i'm not mistaken isn't gulf coast rated 5 stars??  Maybe all those people selling them from garages are chipping in to pay forthe rating. just  a thought

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 04:45:05 pm »
The last cruise I was on refilled the spas twice a day with filtered sea water.

How were the spas heated?  It seems like it would take a long time between refills.

Terminator

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 05:00:42 pm »
I haven't a clue, but they seemed to be almost instantly hot... Maybe they ran the water through the engines cooling system before it reached the spas?

The spas and the pool were only full when the ship was in port. They would drain them when the left and refill when they got into the next port. I think maybe the one indoor spa, for adults only, was left full all the time.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 05:18:52 pm »
Now that you have achieved this great status, take a look at your post so far. Out of 20, 13 are to praise the XL1100 or occasionally make a remark about HS.  (A couple of threads started about the Gulf Coast.)  Given this it isn't hard to see why some might be skeptical about your presence here.

Take a look at the posts of the other consumers here and see how they participate without their brand coming to the forefront in a majority of messages. You have a right to be proud of your purchase and happy to share the word, but I would recommend toning it down slightly and particpating in other threads as well.   And buy all means if someone wants info about Gulf Coast, we will have you here to help them.  And for me,  I've got packing to do, see you all in a week.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 05:32:06 pm »
I have put tubs on two dive boats and several private boats over the years. No Cruise ships yet... The private boats all got HotSpring spas, but the dive boats ended up with custom units which were very much like an in-ground tub. Both were made of plywood with a heavy fiberglass encapsulation.

The dive boats both had large diesel generators. We put a heat exchanger and a 12KW electric heater on each tub. They could draw water from the tub (for when it was full), the freshwater tanks on board (never really all that 'fresh' on these particular boats) or seawater. I don't recall where the filter was in all of this - but the water went through the heat-exhcanger first, which by itself was able to put out very hot hot water. That's quite a feat when you condiser that the water in the ocean around here can hit 48 degrees during a cold snap, and seldom gets real warm at all once you get away from the shore. If the tub was full and running, they sometimes had to go and bypass the heat exchanger or the tub would overheat.

The water would leave the heat exchanger and go next through the electric heater. If the water was above the set point the heater stayed off. It simply had a thermostat like most of these units do.

The jets had their own pump which sat right next to the tub with a pair of safe suctions and very few fittings. There was a ring of plumbing with jets all the way around the tub, and it kicked butt. I sat in it once in my wetsuit and still got a good massage on my whole back.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
Re: ?new status
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 05:41:59 pm »
honestly their were 3 or 4 on the ship but always filled with young kids we shyed away from them.  how would you maintain tubs with constant use including young kids?

I've found in the past that trips around our anniversary are pretty much kid free  :D ;D :D ;D.  Spring Breaks are over and everyone is pretty much buckling down for the remainder of the school year. Plus many people are done with their winter vacations and not ready for the summer one yet.   I'm hoping anyway.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 05:54:28 pm »

I've found in the past that trips around our anniversary are pretty much kid free  :D ;D :D ;D.  Spring Breaks are over and everyone is pretty much buckling down for the remainder of the school year. Plus many people are done with their winter vacations and not ready for the summer one yet.   I'm hoping anyway.

Good for you. This way, when you go out to the hot tub you won't have any of those pesky 21 yr old college girls hanging out in their skimpy bikinis.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 06:14:09 pm »

Good for you. This way, when you go out to the hot tub you won't have any of those pesky 21 yr old college girls hanging out in their skimpy bikinis.

Keep in mind their may be some legal babes, who didn't got to college, and at my age 30-45 looks young.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 06:14:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42