What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Low Blood Pressure  (Read 8338 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Low Blood Pressure
« on: April 26, 2006, 06:10:01 pm »
Just had a fella cancel his deposit on a Sovereign.  He called his doctor to get a prescription to eliminate his sales tax and the doctor told him his blood pressure was too low to even use the spa.  The doctor told him he would pass out and drown.  That's a first. ::)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

Low Blood Pressure
« on: April 26, 2006, 06:10:01 pm »

salesdvl

Re: Low Blood Pressure
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 06:53:56 pm »
That's what Little Tykes tells people to say after they've got 'em under the Big Top.   ;D
Measure once, cut twice.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 06:56:53 pm »
If I call Mr. T tonight and he's crying.....I'll assume the worst. :(

Terminator

anne

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 09:52:35 pm »
What condition did he have to lead him to look for a perscription? :-/
Dance like nobody's watching

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 10:04:19 pm »
low bank balance syndrome
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

anne

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 01:58:39 am »
That is probably true of more tub "prescriptions" than I want to know :P
Dance like nobody's watching

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 10:54:12 am »
What condition did he have to lead him to look for a perscription? :-/

Bad back, I believe.

Terminator

Wisoki

• YEEEEEEhaw
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 10:58:18 am »
I'd have called him on that lie in a heart beat.Hot water raises blood pressure, it is recommended for people with high blood pressure to use the spa a lower temperatures so as not to dangerously elevate their BP, so how low is your BP? If his doctor really did say this I can only refer to Georg Carlins observation that by process of elimination, there IS a WORST doctor in the world, the bad news is somebody's got an appointment with him tomorrow. Evidently Terms customer.

Just had a fella cancel his deposit on a Sovereign.  He called his doctor to get a prescription to eliminate his sales tax and the doctor told him his blood pressure was too low to even use the spa.  The doctor told him he would pass out and drown.  That's a first. ::)

Terminator

If you like it and you want it BUY IT!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 12:44:50 pm »
He's coming back to return the 220V subpanel I gave him when he left his deposit.  They're here!

Fast forward 15 minutes....

They just left and I believe they are telling me the truth.  The doctor has her scared.  He still wants one but she doesn't want him to die.  They are very nice people, but they are getting bad medical advice from some quack instead of listening to my expert opinion. ;D

They live at small private lake community and 3 of their neighbors are customers of mine, so I'll be able to keep tabs on them, just in case. ;)

Oh well, another lady I talked to last week DID get a prescription for a Jetsetter she wants to buy, so all is not lost.  My family won't go hungry tonight.

Terminator

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 01:49:14 pm »
Frank, as I understand it (I think I have a copy of the article somewhere on my home computer), initially your blood pressure does increase when you get into a spa, but rather quickly the heat causes your blood vessels to dialate theyby lowering your blood pressure.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 01:54:00 pm »
Yep, that's right...
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 01:54:53 pm »
I have sold tubs to folk with high and low BP. Their doc just tells 'em to keep the temp down around 99-100 and never go in alone.

Those limitations have spoiled if for some, but most go ahead.

BTW - I am looking for a doctor in town to whom I can send people like that. I will pay the office visit, and they get a second opinion. My doc is a hot tub fan, and I think I may start by calling him. He has told me on several occasions that hypertense people can enjoy a tub with the limits mentioned above, but that it is not universal.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

fatman

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 01:56:02 pm »
I'd have called him on that lie in a heart beat.Hot water raises blood pressure, it is recommended for people with high blood pressure to use the spa a lower temperatures so as not to dangerously elevate their BP, so how low is your BP? If his doctor really did say this I can only refer to Georg Carlins observation that by process of elimination, there IS a WORST doctor in the world, the bad news is somebody's got an appointment with him tomorrow. Evidently Terms customer.

It is not a lie. Not even close. The doctor was definitely looking out for the best interest of the patient on this one. Warm temperatures will lower your blood pressure. When the body is exposed to warm temperature your veins vasodilate thus lowering your blood pressure. The opposite happens in cold temperatures. When the body is exposed to cold, your veins constrict.

Brookenstein

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 01:58:19 pm »
My BP is typically 90/50 (sometimes gets to 100/60) and I haven't died yet.   :)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 02:01:57 pm »
from an article in Pool and Spa News (date unknown):

Your body's first reaction to being immersed in hot water is to try to get back to its normal temperature by pumping the heart faster, so as to bring blood to the surface and, normally, disperse extra body heat into the air. This causes a temporary increase in blood pressure.

But because spa water is maintained at a high temperature -- and because water is one of the most effective conductors of heat - the blood being carried to the body's surface is warmed, rather than cooled. The longer the soaker remains in the spa, the more times the blood cycles through the body -- and the deeper into the body the warm temperature is carried. Studies have shown that immersion in a spa maintained at 104 degrees can raise the core body temperature to 102 degrees Fahrenheit in less than 20 minutes.

After a few minutes, the warm blood causes the blood vessels to dilate, lessening the resistance to blood flow and dropping the blood pressure. As the body goes through this process, several benefits are enjoyed -- most of which are enhanced further by the jet action:

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 02:01:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42