What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: First shock... I'm Shocked!  (Read 13582 times)

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
Re: First shock... I'm Shocked!
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2006, 12:35:03 am »
The glass in the middle: This is bottled drinking water. Half a teaspoon of dichloride - it´s still crystal clear.  

Problem solved - just fill it up with Dasani and you're good to go!!  ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2006, 12:35:03 am »

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2006, 07:28:03 am »
Thing is, I don't think we have as efficient chemicals as you guys over here. And it's hard to find, too.

I'll just have to improvise as I go. Right now I have the Super-Flock product in it, Hopefully that catches the iron before it oxidizes.

I will do chlorine after bath, and shock with MPS next time.  :)

Here we go again. One bath in the new water last night - water yellow this morning.. >:(

This time I added no No Scale product. I trusted the Super Flock to catch the metals in the filter. On the new refill I will add No Scale.
Perhaps the Super-Flock did some good? Look at this filter:

At least the filter cleaner product was good...

Just took ten minutes of soaking, and then a hosing with fresh water to get it back into shape.

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2006, 07:28:49 am »

Problem solved - just fill it up with Dasani and you're good to go!!  ;)

I gave Evian a call this morning. ;)

CraigW

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2006, 03:57:32 pm »
2 suggestions for you..

1) Do you have a water softener or water treatment system of some sort on your well? If so, try using water from the softener (if you aren't already). You can add calcium to bring the hardness back up. This is what I do, since we have a very high iron content. Some will disagree with this method, but I've been using it for 3 yrs with no problems. My dealer said no problem given our well water.

2) I have seen people mention hose end filters to use when filling that are supposed to remove iron and other minerals. Not sure where to get them, but that might be an option also.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 03:58:34 pm by CraigW »

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2006, 08:59:26 pm »
2 suggestions for you..

1) Do you have a water softener or water treatment system of some sort on your well? If so, try using water from the softener (if you aren't already). You can add calcium to bring the hardness back up. This is what I do, since we have a very high iron content. Some will disagree with this method, but I've been using it for 3 yrs with no problems. My dealer said no problem given our well water.

2) I have seen people mention hose end filters to use when filling that are supposed to remove iron and other minerals. Not sure where to get them, but that might be an option also.

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice.

Problem is - I already got that.
I have a filter like this right after the pump. The water then goes into a filter with activated carbon. And it still does this. Amazing, isn't it?
I think I may have to renew the activated carbon, when I think about it. But still, the other filter should remove the iron...

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2006, 01:19:25 pm »
Somehow I have been skipping over this thread until now. Sorry.  BonnieBelle gave you the right answer.  You have iron in your water and when you hit it with chlorine this rusty color is what happens.  You need to remove the iron.  The best way to do that is to hire a filtration company to come out to your place with a bank of high grade carbon filters.  Here in Florida this costs maybe $30.00 or so for a pool.  There are chemical options, too, but you would have to check with a pool and spa chemical dealer for specific recommendations as I don't know what is available there.  

Regards,

Bill

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2006, 07:54:22 pm »
So I've been running on the same water for over a week now.

No. Shock. Yet.   And no yellow water.

But today something happened. The water got very cloudy, but still with a nice fresh color.  
I poured in some "Bright & clear" and lowered the pH to 7.0.

I also put some MPS in there....let's see what happens.
I'm not really sure if the dose was considered a shock or not - och put in six teaspoons. And I don't know if it's buffered MPS. I'm really flying by the seat of my pants right now.  :P
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 08:45:44 pm by KarlXII »

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2006, 12:48:09 am »
Karl, got this from the University of Conn. coop Extension Service.
Symptom                            Cause              Treatment

Water clear when drawn,            Dissolved iron or    Water softener (less than 5 mg/L of
reddish-brown or black particles   manganese.              iron)
appear as water stands; reddish-                  Aeration (less than 25 mg/L of iron).
brown or black stains on fixtures                  Oxidation/Filtration (less than 15
or laundry.                                      mg/L of iron plus manganese).
                                         Chlorination-Filtration (greater than
                                         10 mg/L of iron).

Water contains reddish-brown        Iron particles from   Raise pH with neutralizing filter that
particles when drawn; particles   corrosion of pipes    also filters particles.
settle out as water stands.        and equipment.

Water contains reddish-brown        Oxidized iron,      Particle filter (if quantity of oxidized
or black particles when drawn;        manganese, or both    material is high, use larger filter than
particles settle out as water        due to exposure of    in line, e.g. sand filter).
stands.                           water to air prior to
                         tap.

Reddish-brown or black slime        Iron bacteria.      Kill bacteria masses by shock treat-
appears in toilet tank or from        Manganese bacteria.   ment with chlorine or potassium
faucet.                                                 permanganate, then filter; may re-
                                         quire continuous feed of chlorine or
                                         potassium permanganate, then filter.

Reddish or black color that        Colloidal iron,      Chemical oxidation with chlorine or
remains after 24 hours.           manganese, or both.   potassium permanganate.
                         Organic-complexed

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 12:49:51 am by galen »

sunnydee

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2006, 09:37:04 am »
Just curious...do you use a Nature 2 stick? I have alot of metals in my well water and found that the stick does not work for me. My water would turn green. On intial fill I add "metal out"...run filters and wait 48 hrs before adjusting ph and adding  dichlor. After lots of trial and error this works for me. Once in a while I will use Sea Clear clarifier if the water looks cloudy. Other wise I shock weekly with MPS and add dichlor every evening after use. So far, so good. By the way, my water has very lo calcium out of the tap so I adjust that as well. Good luck. :) P.S. Be sure to clean your filters after waiting the 48 hrs after metal out.

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2006, 08:17:20 am »
Karl, got this from the University of Conn. coop Extension Service.
Symptom � � � � � � � � � � � � � �Cause � � � � � � �Treatment

Water clear when drawn, � � � � � �Dissolved iron or � �Water softener (less than 5 mg/L of
reddish-brown or black particles � manganese. � � � � � � �iron)
appear as water stands; reddish- � � � � � � � � �Aeration (less than 25 mg/L of iron).
brown or black stains on fixtures � � � � � � � � �Oxidation/Filtration (less than 15
or laundry. � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �mg/L of iron plus manganese).
 ï¿½ � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �Chlorination-Filtration (greater than
 ï¿½ � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �10 mg/L of iron).

Water contains reddish-brown � � � �Iron particles from � Raise pH with neutralizing filter that
particles when drawn; particles � corrosion of pipes � �also filters particles.
settle out as water stands. � � � �and equipment.

Water contains reddish-brown � � � �Oxidized iron, � � �Particle filter (if quantity of oxidized
or black particles when drawn; � � � �manganese, or both � �material is high, use larger filter than
particles settle out as water � � � �due to exposure of � �in line, e.g. sand filter).
stands. � � � � � � � � � � � � � water to air prior to
 ï¿½ � � � � � � � � � � � �tap.

Reddish-brown or black slime � � � �Iron bacteria. � � �Kill bacteria masses by shock treat-
appears in toilet tank or from � � � �Manganese bacteria. � ment with chlorine or potassium
faucet. � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � permanganate, then filter; may re-
 ï¿½ � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �quire continuous feed of chlorine or
 ï¿½ � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � � �potassium permanganate, then filter.

Reddish or black color that � � � �Colloidal iron, � � �Chemical oxidation with chlorine or
remains after 24 hours. � � � � � manganese, or both. � potassium permanganate.
 ï¿½ � � � � � � � � � � � �Organic-complexed
 ï¿½ � � � � � � � � �

This really tells me that I need to fix my tap water filter system.
I must get a service guy to look at it.

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2006, 08:20:08 am »
Just curious...do you use a Nature 2 stick? I have alot of metals in my well water and found that the stick does not work for me. My water would turn green. On intial fill I add "metal out"...run filters and wait 48 hrs before adjusting ph and adding  dichlor. After lots of trial and error this works for me. Once in a while I will use Sea Clear clarifier if the water looks cloudy. Other wise I shock weekly with MPS and add dichlor every evening after use. So far, so good. By the way, my water has very lo calcium out of the tap so I adjust that as well. Good luck. :) P.S. Be sure to clean your filters after waiting the 48 hrs after metal out.

Thanks.  Thats just about how I've been treating it the last  1.5 week. Hope it stays under control. :)
Wow. I just ordered at mineral stick, but I haven´t used one yet. Perhaps it no good idea then...?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2006, 08:20:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42