What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Seeking Advice on a Hot Tub Skin  Problem  (Read 5855 times)

Snowbird

• What did he say?
Seeking Advice on a Hot Tub Skin  Problem
« on: April 19, 2006, 12:47:25 pm »
What a bummer.  I am having a skin reaction only on my left leg between my knee and ankle after sitting in the hot tub.  If I stay out of the tub the reaction will go away and everything will be fine after a few days.

Here is what happens.  The skin gets very itchy.  Somehow water is retained under the skin so that if you press down on, it does not spring back but stays depressed.  If there are cuts on other breaks in the skin, they will not heal.  Instead they will ooze.  Finally, if I persist in going in the tub the skin will turn darker in the lower third of the leg and water retention increases.

We both shower before we go in and after we get out.  Then I rub the area down with alcohol followed by a medicated lotion.  This temporarily stops the itching, but the only thing that reverses the process is staying out of the tub.

Our tub uses an Ozonator, Nature2 stick and MPS (Activate).  My dealer said that she has never had anyone report an adverse reaction to this treatment but she has had some reports of rashes from bromine and chlorine.  But this is not a rash.

I suspect that the copper in the mineral stick may be the culprit but I have no way of telling other than to change the tub to bromine or chlorine.  I would be interested in hearing from anyone else that has had a similar reaction or knows about someone else that had it and what was done about it.  The last thing I want to hear is to avoid the hot tub.  There must be some other way.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Hot Tub Forum

Seeking Advice on a Hot Tub Skin  Problem
« on: April 19, 2006, 12:47:25 pm »

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
Re: Seeking Advice on a Hot Tub Skin  Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 12:58:56 pm »
"Our tub uses an Ozonator, Nature2 stick and MPS (Activate).  "

Is chlorine in the picture anywhere?  If not, I would guess you are not killing the harmfull bacteria and that is causing the problem.  

And as far as I can tell from the Sunpurities (Sundance's version of Nature2), they are filled with silver and zinc.

You can use the same system you are using now and just make sure you:

Get the chlorine level to 3-5ppm when you are done using the spa

and

Never go more than 4 days without getting the chlorine level up to 3-5ppm.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 01:01:28 pm by SerjicalStrike »

RPG

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 01:34:19 pm »

You poor, poor dear!

I know a man who has the exact same symptoms as you.  His doctor told him he had developed psoriasis and that the hot water was aggravating his condition.  He prescribed him a topical cream that has greatly improved his quality of life and he is able to use the spa once more.

I wish you well!

Hugs and Kisses
The Spa Fairy

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 03:01:31 pm »
Sounds a bit like pitting edema which could be caused from a variety of medical problems, perhaps something vascular, although not sure why it would be on just one leg. In any case might want to discuss with your doctor.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 03:32:28 pm »
Snowbird, it does sound like a bit more going on than a skin rash. The darkening and fluid retention would concern me. Didn't you just have an issue with you water?  I know you said you shower before and after you use your tub, I am wondering if you are removing ALL the protective oils from your skin and the hot water and abrasive action of the jets are causing some kind of infection. Alcohol will also dry and irritate your skin. I think you need to see a doctor. Maybe you can get some of that topical cream, I would just be careful, obviously something topical happened to our fairy friend!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 03:33:48 pm by Bonibelle »
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 03:59:36 pm »
I would see a doctor and not use the tub before you do.

Cuts that ooze and discoloration is serious IMO.

I wouldn't fool around with it - this isn't a case of dry skin!!

Good Luck!

PS: As has been mentioned - where's your sanitizer?

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 05:41:56 pm »
That does sound like a form of edema.  I, too, would suggest seeing a doctor.  I know you're a big guy (6'7") and if your weight is up, you may be experiencing precursors to Type II Diabetes.  Go to the doctor and get your blood sugar checked.

I truly hope you get well and you can get back to enjoying your spa. :)

Chris O
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Vanguard

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 08:00:04 pm »
For sure make sure you are keeping up on a sanitizer.  I won't go in a public hot tub because of the possibility of something like this.  

How long has it been since you drained your spa and started fresh?  That might be something to consider.

I agree with the other folks about the doc.  Get the skin cleared up, sanitize the water, if not drain and refill, then try again after all these other things are done.

Good luck and get well.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 08:52:35 pm »
Thanks for your concern and advice.  We get an annual checkup every February.  All my tests were good - no diabetes, cholesteral is good etc etc.  Went to a dermotologist for this and she was not inspiring.  She had no reaction at all to the hot tub.  She advised me to wrap the leg to keep pressure on the leg to push the water out (I did) and gave me salve to rub on (I did that too).  These didn't do anything.  But as soon as I stayed out of the tub it all went away by itself.

I will stay out of the tub until I return from vacation on May 4th.  It should clear up in 3 or 4 days.  Once it is I will go in the chlorinated pool and see what happens.

If nothing happens, I will go back in the tub on May 5th.  If it comes back I will go right to a new dermo who has hot tub experience.

My dealer said that I didn't need to add anything other than the Activate.  2 oz after each use and 4 oz shock once a week.  That and the ozonator and chem stick would be all I needed.  Am I missing something?

I changed water on Apr 5 and the dealer replaced the defective ozonator shortly thereafter.  Our water has been crystal clear and all tests spot on ever since.  I test for mps, pH and TA.  

By the way, the Spa Fairy thing is really scary.  Term, is that your alter-ego?  ;D

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Seeking Advice on a Hot Tub Skin ÊProblem
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 09:13:54 pm »
Read the instructions that come with Nature2.  If water not cloudy, they claim you can just use MPS (Activate) BEFORE eah use, plus an MPS shock.  If I were your dealer, I would advize you to use chlorine at least for your once a week treatment.  
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Snowbird

• What did he say?
Re: Seeking Advice on a Hot Tub Skin ÊProblem
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 10:39:31 pm »
Read the instructions that come with Nature2.  If water not cloudy, they claim you can just use MPS (Activate) BEFORE eah use, plus an MPS shock.  If I were your dealer, I would advize you to use chlorine at least for your once a week treatment.  

HTD, I just re-read the directions and you are correct.  But changing now may ruin my chance to find the answer.  When I get back with no problems I will change to adding Activate before soaking and will try the tub.  If the problem returns I will do the dicholor treatment and see what that does.  You may have found the answer.  Thanks

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 01:40:08 am »
Snowbird,

You need to use a sanatizer. Go to docs site and click on the FAQ button and then open the Vermonter FAQ.

http://www.rhtubs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/config.pl

My dealer said that I didn't need to add anything other than the Activate.  2 oz after each use and 4 oz shock once a week.  That and the ozonator and chem stick would be all I needed.  Am I missing something?

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

anne

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 01:54:19 am »
I agree with those who have said that this is likely more than just an allergic reaction. You need a sanitizer. It does sound like edema, and could be serious. Be demanding of your dermatologist if you have to.
Dance like nobody's watching

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 09:08:12 am »
By the way, the Spa Fairy thing is really scary.  Term, is that your alter-ego?  ;D

The "properties" of the Spa Fairy picture (personally, I think he's kind of cute  :P) list the following URL:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b206/EastTexasSpa/d3eea495.jpg

Hmmmm...  "East Texas Spa" ??

BUSTED!

Looks like the "Spa Fairy" is OUT of the closet....  ;)

Drewski

8)
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 07:54:08 am »
I brought this thread back up because I am wondering how Snowbird is dealing with his problem and if he has a diagnosis. We haven't heard much from him.
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 07:54:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42