What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Well, I just dunno what to do!  (Read 5741 times)

Whiskeyjack

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Well, I just dunno what to do!
« on: April 20, 2006, 06:50:06 pm »
We're looking to buy a tub. My wife is partially disabled with degenerative disc disease, and I have arthritis and type 2 diabetes. Our vets say that a tub would be of benefit to each of us.

We live a goodly distance from most retailers. We have a small,  long time D1/Jacuzzi shop about 20 miles from us. The next closest is probably the largest retailer of Hot Springs brands in the state--about 75 miles distant. The Jacuzzi and Hot Spriings group's warranties seem comparable and a little better than the D1. Both stores will deliver the distance and service under warranty with no mileage charges.

We're interested in a small 4 passenger tub with no lounger. We've been quoted these prices: $5500 on a J-325, $6195 on a Tiger River Sumatran, and $7300 on a Hot Springs Prodigy. Being retired, money is a factor, but not a deal killer even for the most expensive. I wouldn't be adverse to paying a greater price for a better product that would be cheaper to run and maintain. That's why I'm not buying from Home Depot.

With her age and infirmities, my wife is pretty reticent about wet testing. A problem, I know. Any knowledgeable advice would be appreciated.

Hot Tub Forum

Well, I just dunno what to do!
« on: April 20, 2006, 06:50:06 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Well, I just dunno what to do!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 07:30:35 pm »
All good choices.  Are you concerned about bucketed type seating or more open seating.  The Sumatran may be the most open.

Hot Spring is the only company with 3rd party testing for energy use.  Data would apply to Sumatran also.

I have sold Hot Spring, Tiger River and Jacuzzi, and both manufacturers are reputable.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 11:18:39 pm »
you may want to test the Accolade. High performance, 4 person, deep. Was in ours at the store today after moving a display Sequoia Vista Suite spa room. It felt good!
We routinely travel your mileage 50-60-70 miles. Don't be afraid of it. Go with the dealer who makes you the most comfy. Happy spa shopping.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

hymbaw

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 11:30:08 pm »
You might want to check out Costco.com. You can get a Hot Spring there for $5700 that is bigger than the Prodigy. The warranty is less but it it the same quality as one from the dealer and your local HotSpring dealer can service it for you if you do have any problems.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11112486&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Good Luck
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

DPS

• The light was yellow, sir
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 11:45:55 pm »
You may also want to check out the 418 model if there's a Marquis Dealer nearby.  You should be able to get it for less than that Costco spa and it has a better warranty.  It is 77"x84" with open seating.

In Canada eh

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 08:09:06 am »
You didn't mention heights for yourself and wife.  This is extremely important when choosing the right spa.  I'm not quite 5'2" and there are many seats that are too deep for me and I tend to float right out of open seating.

I found the best seats to be the ones that were well sculpted and not too wide.   I personnally liked the Jacuzzi 300 series, although I never wet test because over here they start at $10,000 Cdn before our 15% taxes (ughhh).   Since Jacuzzi was your lowest price quoted, and it is known to be a quality therapy tub, I'd suggest taking a closer look at it.

Good Luck!
Bullfrog 451

RayF-1

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 10:43:39 am »
You will see in many other postings the value derived and lessons learned from wet testing.  Any good dealer will arrange an after-hours "private" wet test.

During a test (even a dry test), evaluate your ability to move in and out of a tub.  Consider a wide, stable set of steps and a strong, accessory hand grip.

Our hand grip is secured by the weight of the tub, is made of about 2 1/2 inches diameter steel, can swivel 180 degrees (although we leave it turned outward toward the steps), and has a padded grip.  Really assists getting in and out!

Also read earlier postings about possible tax deductions in relation to a tub prescribed for medical reasons.

Good shopping ..    

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 10:50:13 am »
If warrenty is a big concern (as it should be) then check out Marquis....They have a great warrenty program.

What exactly is it that made you feel D1 did not have a strong of a warrenty as the others? D1 has a very strong warrenty that will compare to just about anyone but obviously you don't see that so I would love to your input being a new shopper to see why it looks that way to you.

Thanks for the input...

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 04:05:11 pm »
You might want to check out Costco.com. You can get a Hot Spring there for $5700 that is bigger than the Prodigy. The warranty is less but it it the same quality as one from the dealer and your local HotSpring dealer can service it for you if you do have any problems.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11112486&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=

Good Luck

And there you go....the true genius of the Watkins/Costcoalition:  Even the COMPETITION is promoting HotSpring and Highlife Spas!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D

I told ya'll there was a bigger plan at work. ;D

Hymbaw is offering a very good alternative, Whiskeyjack.  It might be just what you're looking for.

Good luck in your search. :)

Terminator
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 04:06:07 pm by East_TX_Spa »
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

J._McD

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2006, 05:37:06 pm »
We live a goodly distance from most retailers. We have a small,  long time D1/Jacuzzi shop about 20 miles from us. The next closest is probably the largest retailer of Hot Springs brands in the state--about 75 miles distant.

Retired, Snowbelt, medical therapeutic needs, I would suggest buying close to home.  Both Jacuzzi and D1 are quality goods and worthy of your consideration.

75 miles is 2˝ hours travel time there and back.  If you are going to need service and they have to come back the question is how quick they will be?

Look at the D1 Dupree Bay and then work down from there, there are a lot of good choices at your local dealers, but don't hesitate to mention the HS to let him know your not a "laydown" sale.

Whiskeyjack

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2006, 10:02:56 pm »
We dry tested and wet arm tested today. My wife found that the Jacuzzi sat a little low for her and didn't like the fact that all four seats were buckets. The J-325 was also difficult for her to enter and exit, as it is a long stretch for her legs-4"10" and me 5'5". The jets on the Jacuzzi seemed to put out more force than the H/S Prodigy, but we don't feel that's necessarily a selling point for us.

The cool off seat at entry in the Prodigy was a good feature for her, making entry and exit much easier for her. I wouldn't want to buy a tub that she wouldn't use when she was hurting because getting in and out would possibly aggrivate her pain. That's counter to the object of buying the thing.

The D-1 tubs that we looked at seemed to have a lot of bucket seats also, and were a long leg reach. The dealer also said that the warranty was not as long as either the Jacuzzi or H/S. The local shop is a small one without a full time tech, so even at a greater distance from us, the H/S store is probably the better choice here.

Sooo...it looks like the Prodigy is gonna win. Now, if my contractor would just get us on the schedule to pour our pad!  Thanks to all of you for your thoughts.  

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 12:51:35 am »
We dry tested and wet arm tested today. My wife found that the Jacuzzi sat a little low for her and didn't like the fact that all four seats were buckets. The J-325 was also difficult for her to enter and exit, as it is a long stretch for her legs-4"10" and me 5'5". The jets on the Jacuzzi seemed to put out more force than the H/S Prodigy, but we don't feel that's necessarily a selling point for us.

The cool off seat at entry in the Prodigy was a good feature for her, making entry and exit much easier for her. I wouldn't want to buy a tub that she wouldn't use when she was hurting because getting in and out would possibly aggrivate her pain. That's counter to the object of buying the thing.

The D-1 tubs that we looked at seemed to have a lot of bucket seats also, and were a long leg reach. The dealer also said that the warranty was not as long as either the Jacuzzi or H/S. The local shop is a small one without a full time tech, so even at a greater distance from us, the H/S store is probably the better choice here.

Sooo...it looks like the Prodigy is gonna win. Now, if my contractor would just get us on the schedule to pour our pad!  Thanks to all of you for your thoughts.  

If that is as good as the D1 dealer could do then I would go ahead and buy the prodigy!

For future reference the D1 warranty is every bit equivalent to both of the others and has some things with warranty performance that I like better but again if the dealer didn't even cover THAT they don't really need the sale that bad....

Vanguard

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 01:02:18 am »
Congrats on the decision.  It sounds like you took a lot of things into account when buying.  I am glad you tested them, that way you know what you are getting.  Enjoy!!!
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 10:11:14 am »
I am suprised they did not mention the Tiger River Caspain.

It would be priced simmiliar to the Prodigy, but more power.

Was the Jaquizzi and Sumatran 110v or 220?

07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 10:11:14 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42