What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Broken Cover Lock clips.  (Read 29691 times)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Broken Cover Lock clips.
« on: January 19, 2006, 10:26:04 am »

Arrrrgh.

Last month,  because I wasn't paying attention,  I snapped the the 2 back cover clips on my 05 Caspain. (the part that attatches to the cover loops, not the buckle on the tub skirt).

They snapped quick and easy....I guess it was better than ripping the cover  loops or pulling the buckles out of the tub skirt but still....grrrrr.

Looking quickly it looks like to replace the clips, I will need to cut the loop to attatch the new clip.  Is that really necessary, or do they attatch another way?

I am also toying with the brillienat idea of, instead of replacing the clips (only to have them break again) is  since these are the back clips, and the cover lifts to the back and down,  simpley tie the loops with some cord to a hook attatched to the base.  This would allow the cover to flip down and off the tub, but if I tie the cords tightly, the cover could not blow off.

Did I describe that correctly?

Any other way with dealing with cheap plastic cover locks that break? (other than the obvious "pay attention") route?

;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 04:38:18 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

Broken Cover Lock clips.
« on: January 19, 2006, 10:26:04 am »

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: Broker Cover Lock clips.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 10:31:20 am »
What cover lifter are you using?

If it's the CoverCradle, just leave it be.  The CC will keep the cover attached.

If it's a CoverMate, I would replace the clips.  Take a pair of wire cutters and cut the back half of the clip in two.  Slide the vinyly cover loop through this cut.  Voila!  Good as new.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 10:49:03 am »
It's a cover mate 1 cover lifter.

My dealer just sent me an e-mail and has offered to send me 2 new clips  Thanks New England Spa and Sunroom! (Shamless Gratuitous plug)   :D

The dealer tells me this happens all the time (back clips snapping) and the new replacement clips have a slit on them that will allow me to slide the clip onto the loop without cutting the loop.

I know this will happen again.   The back of the tub is not very accesable and I hate in the snowy weather getting back there to unsnap and snap them.

For the past month, I've placed 2 bricks on the cover to keep it from blowing up.  Well this a.m. I went out to find my back half of the cover flipped  up and the bricks on the lawn. Talk about high winds!  ( I don't want to think what  my electrical bill is going to be)

I am serioulsy considering tying the back loops down with some cord attatched to the base. If I have this pictured correctly, the cover should flip completley off without a problem, but would not be able to be lifted (or Blown)  up from that side (back end, next to house, not used, not seen).   No?

Funny side note, on my old round Nordic which is in the same spot as my Caspain, the cover locks were broken and I didn't have a lifter. The cover NEVER blew open.
The Tiger River,  with the cover lifter on it (and the 2 bricks) has blown up twice in the past month.  

Need to get this fixed before the Spring. We get some high winds in the spring around here  ;)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 10:55:10 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 10:55:40 am »
Dr. Spa has some cover straps that might help.  Give him a holler and ask for the forum discount.

Terminator

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 11:02:47 am »
Dr. Spa has some cover straps that might help.  Give him a holler and ask for the forum discount.

Terminator

I checked out Doc's straps and would consider the heavy duty set up with the metal buckles if I still have a problem.  Although I wonder, if having the plastic "break away" might be better for  us acciendet prone owners?   ::)

The more i think about it, the cord solution would eliminate me ever having to remember to snap or unsnap them or ever have to stand the snow and fiddling with them in the dark.

::)
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 11:04:27 am »
It's a cover mate 1 cover lifter.

Happens all the time obn the back side of the cover with the CM-I even if the customer is aware he/she must detach the clips before opening the cover. The CM-III is another often used lifter but with that one you can leave the clips in place when opening the cover which is one reason I like it much better (plus it's easier to open). I do believe the Cover Cradle type are designed so the clips can stay attached as well. The new clips with the slits should do the trick but you'll just have to get in the habit of detaching them before opening or do as many people do withe hte CM-I and not attach them at all on the back side.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 11:08:02 am »
or do as many people do withe hte CM-I and not attach them at all on the back side.

The cover has blown up 2 time since the back cover snaps broke (This is with 2 bricks on the cover to prevent this).  Like I said, I wonder what my electrical bill will be for running the tub at 101 all night with half the cover open in 20 degree weather?  My   old, round,  broken P.O.S  cover on my Nordic was never snapped down, and never blew up. I'm thinking  my new square tub must be postioned just right to catch the wind under a corner....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 11:08:44 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 11:34:49 am »
The cover has blown up 2 time since the back cover snaps broke (This is with 2 bricks on the cover to prevent this).  Like I said, I wonder what my electrical bill will be for running the tub at 101 all night with half the cover open in 20 degree weather?  My   old, round,  broken P.O.S  cover on my Nordic was never snapped down, and never blew up. I'm thinking  my new square tub must be postioned just right to catch the wind under a corner....

I'd say your choices are to either start remembering to unclip before opening or leave them unclipped and get yourself a nice decorative 2x10 board to lay on that end of the spa after each use. ;) Actually, since this is only an issue on the backside (I assume I understand this as I'e seen it o the CM-1 many times) another idea is to loop a rope through the cover handle on that back end and attach the other end to the kickplate. That will allow the cover to open downward as with the CM-I but stops it from possibly being blow open.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2006, 11:40:38 am »

I'd say your choices are to either start remembering to unclip before opening or leave them unclipped and get yourself a nice decorative 2x10 board to lay on that end of the spa after each use. ;) Actually, since this is only an issue on the backside (I assume I understand this as I'e seen it o the CM-1 many times) another idea is to loop a rope through the cover handle on that back end and attach the other end to the kickplate. That will allow the cover to open downward as with the CM-I but stops it from possibly being blow open.

tyeing the cover  to  the kick plate is exactly what I am planning on doing this spring. :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 11:40:52 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2006, 02:02:00 pm »

I checked out Doc's straps and would consider the heavy duty set up with the metal buckles if I still have a problem.  Although I wonder, if having the plastic "break away" might be better for  us acciendet prone owners?   ::)

::)

Musta been a while ago.......... We discontinued the metal latched wind strap a few months ago. BUT, I haven't had the opportunity to update this product and what we have now is FAR superior to anything in the past. The strap now consists of 1-1/2" webbing with a quick release on one side of the spa and an adjustable locking devise on the other.

Drew, email me with your address and I'll send one to you N/C..... if you can send me some nice pictures of it installed I'd appreciate it.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2006, 02:08:08 pm »

Musta been a while ago.......... We discontinued the metal latched wind strap a few months ago. BUT, I haven't had the opportunity to update this product and what we have now is FAR superior to anything in the past. The strap now consists of 1-1/2" webbing with a quick release on one side of the spa and an adjustable locking devise on the other.

Drew, email me with your address and I'll send one to you N/C..... if you can send me some nice pictures of it installed I'd appreciate it.

Doc,  are you saying I can lock/ unlock the full back of my spa cover just from one side?    

« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 02:08:36 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2006, 03:09:39 pm »

Doc,  are you saying I can lock/ unlock the full back of my spa cover just from one side?    

ummmmmmmmmm, WHAT IN THE, are you trying to say???
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2006, 03:51:21 pm »

ummmmmmmmmm, WHAT IN THE, are you trying to say???

Sorry. My ridolyn hasn't been working very well lately.  :)

First off, thanks for the very generous offer for the free strap. That very nice of you.  Before I take you up on it, I'd like to  ensure it''s something I will use definatly use. I'd hate to take you up on your offer and then have it sit in a drawer some place.  

You said   "The strap now consists of 1-1/2" webbing with a quick release on one side of the spa and an adjustable locking devise on the other. "

For some reason that gave me the impression that this strap was significantly different than typical straps. Now that I write and read this,  the wording should be "one end of the strap" not "one side".  (To me "side"  = left side of tub, vs right side of the tub.)

I had imaged what you were sending me was one giant strap that held one corner of the cover down with  an adjustable strap,  and the other corner with a locking device.  I'd put the adjustable strap on the far unreachable corner of my tub, and the locking unit on the reachable side. I unlock just one corner, but both back corners would be free to be lifted.

I guess since i was in the "I'm want to now use  a cord to tie the back end down and never have to unlock the back end, and was visualizing different methods to do this, your answer gave me a very specific image in my rattled brain.

I know,  I know.  I'm am spazzed today.  

The sky is blue in my world, really!

Did any of that make sense?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 03:53:46 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2006, 04:12:50 pm »
Dang drewstar, I do believe some of my brain hamsters have found their way into your skull. :)

Terminator

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 04:23:19 pm »
Dang drewstar, I do believe some of my brain hamsters have found their way into your skull. :)

Terminator

I was sitting here thinking how it's a pain in the butt to have to walk complelty around the tub and unsnap 4 corners and then after a nice hot soak, walk back around the tub and resnap all 4.  This is espically true in the winter.  Many times, I hurry back into the house, put on a warm rob and relax a bit and then go out and button everything up.  A few times, I've forgotton to do this and the cover fliped open in the night.  :P

Some engineer should come up with a strapping/locking/clasping/pinning  system that can hold down all four coners of the cover with only two snaps (one on the front of the tub, one on the back).

Actuall... a pinning system would allow for all 4 corners to unlock with one button (think;  car door locks).

Brain hamsters :)   yes. many hamsters.  too bad my wheel is broken.  they are getting bored and are starting to fight amongst each other....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2006, 04:28:53 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2006, 04:23:19 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42