What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Deckīnītub tales  (Read 19396 times)

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
Deckīnītub tales
« on: March 18, 2006, 07:51:03 pm »
I bothered you guys earlier with questions on the Caldera Geneva and on deck construction...well, now it's time to goto work! :o

The Geneva 2006 arrives here next Friday - somewhat unexpected - and I have nowhere to put it. Yet. I had in mind to put i temporarily on a spot on the deck, but it is too weak.
So  best thing is to build a new spot.

I built the deck just a few years back. At that time I didn't know if I wanted to keep the old swimmingpool - I hate water below 85 - or if I wanted to restore it with new pumps and liner and , well, the works...
When I got interested in a tub, the ideas about restoring the pool flew out the window.

So now I'm decking over it. Part of it will be reinforced to hold the weight of the spa.

Since I don't like snow on my deck, I've been keeping it clean all winter. Being the idiot I am, I have dumped a lot of it into the pool. Which I now have to shovel outtathere.
God, my back hurts now. I could really use a hot tub massage already.

Now I've got the area clear of snow where the tub is going to be.
I'll do the footings here first since I want the concrete to have gained sufficient strength til the spa arrives. I have drilled three holes out of nine, and I will do the rest and cast the concrete tomorrow.  The orange threads are pilots for where the beams are going to be. I will use 2 2x9 under the spa and do 1 2x9 under the rest of the deck. Under the spa there will be three beams. On top of that 2x6 with 10 inch spacing. And deck boards, of course.

More pics and stuff to come...  ;)

Hot Tub Forum

Deckīnītub tales
« on: March 18, 2006, 07:51:03 pm »

SurgTec

• Up to my neck in hot water!
Re: Deckīnītub tales
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 08:04:08 pm »
I love the "in progress" pictures!  

Brrrrrrr - cold - snow!   I haven't seen snow in person in almost 20 years!  

Wow - looks like you have a great location!    Also looks like you have taken on a major piece of work to get your deck ready for the spa.  I know you will enjoy it once it is all done!  

Keeps the pictures coming!

bob5820

• Artesian Piper Glen
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 10:53:12 pm »
Awsome view. Good luck with the project, and keep the pictures comming.

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 01:16:54 pm »
Update:

I'm delayed. (So very unexpected  ::) )

The ground is not frozen, but the rock, stones & roots makes it a living hell to dig and drill into it.

Also the truck with the wood & concrete didnīt make it up the hill to my house...so I've been carrying it today by hand.

I hope to do some footings tomorrow.

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 02:41:22 pm »
Saturday: I finally got the footings done. It has been REALLY cold here, so I had to get at winter concrete, that hardens down to 5 degrees Fahrenheit. In fact it has been even colder, below zero, at night. It was tough to dig through the frozen ground, as well as to get all the snow out of the way.
The snow in the corner is from the roof. It was very hot in the sunshine that day.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 02:46:00 pm by KarlXII »

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 02:49:28 pm »
Sunday: Posts are up. 4x4.
I love those adjustable footings.

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 02:55:37 pm »
Beams and joists are coming up.

Three double 2x10, just under 3 feet spacing under the tub, single 2x10 rest of the deck. Joists are 2x6, 12 inch spacing.

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 03:41:22 pm »
Sunday: All joists are up and posts adjusted. Ready for decking.

My tub, btw, was supposed to be delivered Friday. New delivery date is next Monday.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 06:19:32 pm »
wow......I've got to say this is the first time I've ever seen someone just build OVER a pool.....kinda cool, IMHO, though.  ;D
Looks like you've got your hands full, and it seems everything's working well, congrats!!
RIP C-Rod

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 09:54:40 pm »
Given you already had a hole where the old pool was did you give any thought to putting the tub down lower to make entry into the tub easier?

Probably a lot of reasons not to but tubs down in the deck always looked nice to me, as if they were a part of the deck rather than just sitting on top of the deck.

Obviously you would have to provide access for repairs but that could potentially be done with a hinged portion of the deck on the side with the panel. Or leaving the deck at tub level open on one side.

Too late now but love the shots of all the work you have done! Great job and great looking place (If a bit too cold for my blood!)

;)
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 11:25:39 pm »
wow, nice job.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 11:43:49 pm »
Looks great. Lots of work!

If I were building that here in CA, I would be required to put plenty of X bracing from the top of one post to the bottom of the next. And beefy ones too.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 05:30:40 am »
That header is doubled up under the tub part of the deck I am assuming? Ya can't really see it in any of the pictures but you seem to have a handle on it so I will assume. 9 posts is good and the tighter spacing on the joists but ya can't see if the header is doubled.
Retired

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 10:36:46 am »
Beams and joists are coming up.

Three double 2x10, just under 3 feet spacing under the tub, single 2x10 rest of the deck. Joists are 2x6, 12 inch spacing.

That header is doubled up under the tub part of the deck I am assuming? Ya can't really see it in any of the pictures but you seem to have a handle on it so I will assume. 9 posts is good and the tighter spacing on the joists but ya can't see if the header is doubled.

If you look at the middle header in this post I think you can see the doubled up header. I suspect the header on each side continues to the end doubling up those as well. You can sort of see it on the left side.

Or I could be having diplopia...   :o
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

KarlXII

• Me before the spa
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 11:40:57 am »
Oh yes, theyīre double.  :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 11:40:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42