What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What to do about my electric bill  (Read 8614 times)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
What to do about my electric bill
« on: April 11, 2006, 10:52:49 am »
After much discussion with my electrician, my electric provider and my neighbors who use far less electric than I do (even before the hot tub), I am looking at a device that I can use to monitor all my electric usage in my home. Has anyone had any experience with this or
does anyone have any thoughts about it? Drew...and Cola, I am particularly interested in what you guys think. I have contacted the company and am in the process of downloading the manual now.  Thanks
The website is www.theenergydetective.com
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

What to do about my electric bill
« on: April 11, 2006, 10:52:49 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: What to do about my electric bill
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 11:16:15 am »
I know that the lurking EEs will tell you to just use a handy dandy ocilscope to measure your power, ::)  but I think if you  belive there is a signifcant issue, then this makes sense.  

There are other units out ther,  One is the Kill A Watt unit that is very affordable $35, but only measures each appliance individualy.  It's limited to  120V and you'd have to go and test everything individualy. That could be good, that could be bad.  

The other Whole house unit I found is this guy: ($200)
http://www.energymonitor.com/

The one you found looks neat as it will automacically calculate your rates.   Of course, you'll have to turn everythiing off, and then have hubby turn things on individualy so you can see what each electrical applainces is using.  (hey, after you figure everyhting out, you could re-sell it and get back some of your $. Which buy the way seems like a reasobale price).

I have a feeling, in this fourum alone you could "rent it out" and make a profit.   8)  (I'm half serious here...)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 11:20:13 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 11:18:22 am »
Home depot sells the box for a meter. Maybe put a meter onto the tub IF you think this is the culprit. I've read in the past that a bad motor can use up a lot more energy.

My suggestion to isolate where high energy usage is coming from is to turn off all the circuit breakers in the house. One by one, turn them on and visually see how quickly the meter spins. If you get a circuit breaker that makes it spin faster than "normal" then go to the items on that circuit breaker. Once you check all the breakers, you'll have a good idea the current draw on different circuits. Once you isolated each circuit - turn them all on and see how fast the meter spins, don't turn on circuit breaker for the tub for 24 hours (it's getting warmer out so there shouldn't be a problem with freezing), take an initial reading and take an ending reading and see without the tub what your use is. I would use the various household appliances that you use during the week just to get them to run - dishwasher, washer, dryer... It just may be coincidence that the tub was installed as something was going bad. Then do the same with the tub for 24 hours.

Clocks, radios and such don't draw too much but central AC have heaters in them (I shut mine off in the winter -also don't want any critters nesting in the warmth), self defrost refrigs and new culprits are big screen tv's and the like.

This is a cheap and easy way to isolate what's going on. If you find that without the tub your usage is still high - try using certain appliances on a day to day schedule  and check the usage - run vacuum today and check usage, run dishwasher tommorrow and check usage...

Just my $0.02.

Good Luck!!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 11:25:24 am »
07 Caldera Geneva

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 04:11:42 pm »
Have you had the power company check the accuracy of your meter?  I assume that they've done this, as you indicated you spoke to them.
A while back, somone went thru what you were- and it turned out that their electric meter was running too fast, or was otherwise out of whack and over indicating power use.  
I'd especially suspect something like that if you think your power use was excessive compared to your neighbors before your spa went on.  
Unless you do have a lot of parasitic stuff hooked up, like a big aquarium heater setup, waterbed heater, multiple computers and TV's that are on a lot, freezers, especially older ones, etc.  
Running an electric dryer vs a gas one in this area was costing us about $10 a month alone.  
Brewman

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 05:47:05 pm »
Brewman, The electric company has supposedly issued a "dispute of billing" what ever the &^%$ that means. The first two times I called they didn't even want to help at all since I have a "high dollar item that uses tons of electric" or something like that. The last person I talked to  listened as I had my electrician monitor the tub and from every indication, it doesn't appear that my tub would double my bill. I had the numbers and information from others in my area with similar homes, (but that also use electric to heat domestic hot water). None of them had bills as high as mine, even before I got the tub! The person at my electric company said someone would get in touch with me to check my meter but probably they would not look any further for appliances etc that would use excess electric. And it could be up to 3 months before they came out. So that is why I thought I should look into things on my own. Vinny, my electric meter is digital so it isn't as easy to see things that use the electric as easily as the older spinning type meters. Brewman, did they refund you for all that you overpaid for your electric?

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 08:13:32 pm »
Hi Boni, I will get back later after the kids are in bed but have you checked your usage from your grow lights.  That may be the culprit.  Seriously, I'll be back after 10:00
Steve

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 08:19:31 pm »
It wasn't me that had the electric meter issue, I remember reading about it on this forum, I'm pretty sure, unless it was on Doc's board.  
I don't recall if the person got a refund, but if I found out that my electric company was overbilling me, I'd expect an adjustment of some sort.  If indeed your meter is off, they might be able to determine by how much and arrive at a reasonable refund.  
If they refuse, there's always your local PUC.
Hope you find out what the problem is.
Brewman

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 08:25:59 pm »
I know for our business, it made a difference in lowering our electric bill when we "balanced" the electric panels. We were paying a higher demand based on spikes in our usage, ie (6) 220 volt spas all on high speed shocking the water(heaters were probably heating) Couple 110v running as well.
We had one leg of the panel overloaded. We then equalled the normal amp draw on both legs.
We checked it with an amp meter on each leg with most of our usual items running.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 08:33:07 pm »
Ok, that is confusing to me. Maybe when Cola comes back, he can help me understand what you did to help with your electric bills.  ;) I have only one electric panel so I guess that isn't something that will help me.
I am interested in that monitor because even if the electric company finds a problem with my meter, I don't know that I believe that they will tell me.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 10:08:14 pm by Bonibelle »

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 10:38:29 pm »
Sorry Bonni, but what hot tub boy is talking about has nothing to do with your situation.  Demand charges afect comercial users, not residential.  I think that there is a good chance that you have a bum meter, that is if you are convinced that your usage is similar to your neighbors.  I can't tell you how they wil rectify this but stay on them.  Tell the guy that you want it replaced when he is on site.  I don't know much about meter technology, but it is possible that the error registers logarithmically as opposed to linearly.  The link for the TED meter looks good, but you might want to wait until they check your meter out.  You have to remember that a meter like that is not calibrated and that it will give you a somewhat but not truely accurate reading.
Good luck
Steve

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 11:08:50 pm »
Thanks Steve, That was my thoughts exactly, if the meter has a flaw that would cause it to register my usage logarithmically then that would expain how the addition of the tub appeared to add more than twice the amount of energy consumption as others  (you included) indicate. My electrician took the reading before the meter and I think that would be the accurate reading. I have downloaded the TED manual and they have been great about answering all my questions through email. I will see about calibration because I agree the instrument has little value if it is out of calibration or can't be cross checked.  According to the website, it may be an item covered under the energy tax deductions for this year...Thanks for all the help  ;)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 11:56:35 pm »
I have a digital meter too and I thought I've seen a large wheel that spins in it too like my old analog. The meter could be bad and the electric company should do a swap out since it is suspected as bad.

The best way to see the current draw would be to remove the panel and put a clamp on amp meter onto each circuit both while things are running and not.  

I didn't look into the websites that you and drewstar mentioned but I would think that anything that doesn't measure the individual circuits might be a waste except if it proves that the meter is defective.

My advice would be do as much investigating yourself as much as possible before hiring someone to do it especially if it entales a lot of $$$. No, I wouldn't recommend just anyone removing their circuit breaker panel and putting on an amp meter for fear of that person getting seriously hurt. But, if someone is comfortable around electricity, it is a start IF you can't see a wheel or something in the meter to indicate current draw.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 09:29:06 am »
Vinny, I emailed the energy detective people and they siad in order to test each circuit, you turn off all circuits and then turn them on one by one. I like your idea better, to be able to check each circuit but I guess that would be complicated and costly. I will go look for the wheel that you are talking about and I think I will call my electric company and ask them which home electric monitor they would suggest! Maybe that would get them out here faster! Thanks so much for your help.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 11:11:22 am »
"I've got 5' of wire, a fork and a butterknife....now, when I clamp the wire in my teeth, which hand should the knife be in to best tell if the circuit's bad?"
A call like that could get them running, too. ;) ;D
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 11:11:22 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42