What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: can anyone tell when i started my hottub?  (Read 9285 times)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
Re: can anyone tell when i started my hottub?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 04:15:52 pm »
You might wrap it in asbestos or some other fire retarded material to help prevent flame ups.

I think the mineral wool idea I mentioned earlier is probably not a very good one as I think wool is flammable because of the lanolin.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 04:15:52 pm »

water@104

• Sitting here doing what i do best!
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 04:27:12 pm »
You might wrap it in asbestos or some other fire retarded material to help prevent flame ups.

I think the mineral wool idea I mentioned earlier is probably not a very good one as I think wool is flammable because of the lanolin.

Terminator

I will do a little research before i put anything in. would hate to have it go up in flames, but then again that could mean i could get a new tub!!!  ;D

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 04:32:16 pm »
Why not goose feathers in some sort of non-flammable bag?  That would be an organic solution.

Terminator

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 04:46:23 pm »
I'd wondered about using some foaming insulation shot directly into plastic bags between the skirting and the shell....that way, you fill the space with foam, but it's in bags, so when it hardens, it doesn't stick to any of the inside stuff, if/when you need to have it repaired.....   ???
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 08:49:52 am »
You know,  Bonnie reports higher electric bills, and there is a big scramble to tell her check all her appliances and perhaps her meter is out of line.  No one suggested the tub was the issue.

Here, we all jumped to "Gotta be the tub".

::)
07 Caldera Geneva

water@104

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 09:42:56 am »
You know,  Bonnie reports higher electric bills, and there is a big scramble to tell her check all her appliances and perhaps her meter is out of line.  No one suggested the tub was the issue.

Here, we all jumped to "Gotta be the tub".

Well if i had to guess why that is so, I would have to say it is becasue of the make of Tub. but that is MHO and the fact that i am the one that owns it. ;D

::)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2006, 10:54:15 am »
You can get the same 2 part foam the spa manufacturers use.  Out here, Tap Plastics sells it.  Sears used to, don't know if they still do.  You have to know how to use it.  Wear breathing apparatus.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2006, 11:59:16 am »
Water,

Did you check the filter cycles as Chas stated?
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2006, 12:00:03 pm »

Terminator

water@104

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2006, 12:03:51 pm »
Water,

Did you check the filter cycles as Chas stated?

Didn't have a chance last night but will be doing that today.  he boss is being nice today and giving us a half day!!!!!!!!!  ;D So i will have plenty of time to do that when i get home.

I believe that it is set 1a day for an hour and it is at night.

water@104

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2006, 12:09:07 pm »

Terminator

it could be playing a part, but i can't imagine it's playing that it could be doing all of it.

question for you, how warm would you say that the inside of the cabinet  should it be to save on heat?

I was thinking about putting a wireless thermometer inside  the cabinet and see what kind of temps it holds duringthe day.

i would think that would tell me how much heat i am loosing due to the cabinet? what do you think?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2006, 12:12:09 pm »
Joking aside, You guys don't get it. When your electric bill goes all out of wack, you get a bit upset...And it sounds like Water, is where I am...let's find out how to fix this because I don't really want to get rid of my tub.
Term, quite honestly, I am looking at the insulating thing for my house (with lots of great help from Drew).
If that is where I can save energy, I want to do it. I am still waiting for my electric company to check my meter...and dreaming of them saying something is wrong and they owe me enough to pay off the tub  ;D
Water, my tub is supposed to be very well insulated and very energy efficient....but if you have read my threads, my energy usage has doubled???Has anyone ever heard of manufacturers forgetting to insulate a tub.... :o
Support your dealer so they can support you!

water@104

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2006, 12:17:53 pm »
Joking aside, You guys don't get it. When your electric bill goes all out of wack, you get a bit upset...And it sounds like Water, is where I am...let's find out how to fix this because I don't really want to get rid of my tub.
Term, quite honestly, I am looking at the insulating thing for my house (with lots of great help from Drew).
If that is where I can save energy, I want to do it. I am still waiting for my electric company to check my meter...and dreaming of them saying something is wrong and they owe me enough to pay off the tub  ;D
Water, my tub is supposed to be very well insulated and very energy efficient....but if you have read my threads, my energy usage has doubled???Has anyone ever heard of manufacturers forgetting to insulate a tub.... :o

Bonibelle
if you every find out i would like to knwo the answer. I can't figure out why my bill has more than doubled myself. i know a tub uses alot of power, bu my thing is my neighbor also has a tub, it is smaller. (4 man) and his bills is  not even close to mine. i know there are also alot of things that could be factored in to why. but i would think they would be close at least.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2006, 12:18:56 pm »
The 2x a day sounds like the "normal" cycle.  Your owners manual should say for sure. (Iwas hoping maybe you fat fingered the cycles to 6x a day and that was the culprit).

As far as temp in the cabinet  in a nutshell, heat want's to balance out.  So keeping the cabinet at the same temperature as the water would be ideal so the cabinet isn't drawing heat from the water and causing the heater to turn on.  there are other considerations such as retaining the heat (Air leaks) or how much you use the tub (heat escapes off the top quicker, the amibaint temp, using the blowers,  etc.

If insualting the cabinet is the way to go, I would think another layer of foil backed foam board along the skirt (And the bottome of the tub if possible) sealed up would be were I started as well as sealing the lip between the tub and skirt.

That's my free advice (worth every penny too   ;) )

have you spoken to the dealer and told him the electrical was significantly out of whack? Perhaps they could come and check things out to ensure the tub is functioning as designed?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 12:21:34 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2006, 12:19:53 pm »
question for you, how warm would you say that the inside of the cabinet  should it be to save on heat?

I was thinking about putting a wireless thermometer inside  the cabinet and see what kind of temps it holds duringthe day.

i would think that would tell me how much heat i am loosing due to the cabinet? what do you think?

If you're asking me, I haven't got a clue in the world.  And I mean this in all sincerity:  It has never been an issue for any of my customers.  Not a single one has ever come in and had an issue with their electric bill nor have they ever asked us to put a meter on their spa.  So, I have absolutely zero experience with the situations you and Boni are encountering.

I truly do wish I could be of more help as I enjoy helping folks out.  This is just out of my area of expertise. ???

Terminator

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2006, 12:19:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42