What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ALL you SUMP PUMP users...what to look for  (Read 3897 times)

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
ALL you SUMP PUMP users...what to look for
« on: April 13, 2006, 09:19:21 am »
Hi all,

Based on how we wanted to orient our tub on the deck, the drain is unusuable (planned) so a sump is necessary.  

What should I look for (brand, features, etc) in a pump?

I have found this one on EBAY (mine damnit!!)...any thoughts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7608296448&fromMakeTrack=true
Better than I deserve...

Hot Tub Forum

ALL you SUMP PUMP users...what to look for
« on: April 13, 2006, 09:19:21 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: ALL you SUMP PUMP users...what to look for
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 09:34:42 am »
1200 GPH?

Holy sh_t.

I googled the model number and found this
http://pumpbiz.com/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=pump_model_detail&product_id=8762&series_id=227

They are selling it for $195.

Right now on Ebay,  there is 3 hours left and it's at $32.00 sounds lilke a deal.

07 Caldera Geneva

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 09:49:02 am »
1200 GPH?

Holy sh_t.

I googled the model number and found this
http://pumpbiz.com/products/index.cfm?fuseaction=pump_model_detail&product_id=8762&series_id=227

Right now on Ebay,  there is 3 hours left and it's at $32.00 sounds lilke a deal.

Hey Drewstar,

I did the same thing and found the same site you must have.  Thats why I called it MINE on the first post!!!  Anyhow, is that basically what we need, just a submersible 110v sump?  Any special hose fittings?  I did see one that had a 95*F top end water temp so that wasn't a possibility.  

Better than I deserve...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 09:59:42 am »
Tubin'

If your not a spaz (like me  ;) )  you don't even need a pump. you could siphon it out and use a shop vac to clean out any residual water.   But  you are probably like me and are always looking for an excuse to buy a  new tool.  ;)

I'm not an expert, but here are the mistakes I made:

I originally   used a small pony pump to help with the draining (these are the little whiney pumps that I had around to pump off covers of the swimming pool and also drain my water bed.  It stunk for the tub, it was too small, and took to long and I had a hard time getting a good draw on it.  

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/16818_16818.htm

In a moment of frustration I drove to Sears and asked for the best pump they had.  For $150  they gave me a 1/2 horse 600 gph pump. It can be used to boost my water pressure at the house for gardening, and has a great lift capacity.

It works well, but I didn't shop around and feel i could have done much better. Folks here are using pumps with 2000-3000gph ratings and I think they spent a lot less money.

My pump also has to be primed. Not a big deal,  but a consideration.  

Also, for the tub, one of those flat skimmer plates that connects to the hose  that gets the last smigden of water out is handy.

If all you are doing is pumping out the tub,  that pump looks great to me. But obvolsuy I am far from an expert.

8)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 10:04:40 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 10:04:20 am »
Tubin'

If your not a spaz (like me  ;) )  you don't even need a pump. you could siphon it out and use a shop vac to clean out any residual water.   But  you are probably like me and are always looking for an excuse to buy a  new tool.  ;)

I'm not an expert, but here are the mistakes I made:

I originally   used a small pony pump to help with the draining (these are the little whiney pumps that I had around to pump off covers of the swimming pool and also drain my water bed.  It stunk for the tub, it was too small, and took to long and I had a hard time getting a good draw on it.  

http://www2.northerntool.com/product/16818_16818.htm

In a moment of frustration I drove to Sears and asked for the best pump they had.  For $150  they gave me a 1/2 horse 600 gph pump. It can be used to boost my water pressure at the house for gardening, and has a great lift capacity.

It works well, but I didn't shop around and feel i could have done much better. Folks here are using pumps with 2000-3000gph ratings.  

My pump also has to be primed. Not a big deal,  but a consideration.

If all you are doing is pumping out the tub,  that pump looks great to me. But obvolsuy I am far from an expert.

8)

Thats good advice, especially the priming thing.  I would have figured you submerge it and turn it on but I guess not.  I'll keep that in mind.  I'll follow the Ebay pump and post the results either way (and final price).  
Better than I deserve...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 10:25:20 am »

Thats good advice, especially the priming thing.  I would have figured you submerge it and turn it on but I guess not.  I'll keep that in mind.  I'll follow the Ebay pump and post the results either way (and final price).  

I think the sump pump is submergable and self priming.  Mine is not. It's a general purpose pump for many applications. (Although 90% of the time it's the pool or tub).    So,  we are kinda of compaing apples to oranges.  i was jsut trying to share my experience FWIW.
07 Caldera Geneva

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 02:42:01 pm »
This one's my favorite. Works great!

Water WizardŽ Submersible Pumps
Includes garden hose adapter and removable inlet screen for easy cleaning. Lifetime oil supply. Pumps down to 1/8" (3.2 mm.), in manual mode operation.
# 1200 GPH @ 1' maximum flow rate
# 1/6 HP thermally protected, shaded pole motor
# Epoxy-coated cast aluminum housing
# 1" FNPT outlet includes garden-hose adapter
# Bottom inlet has removable screen for easy cleaning

You can use the included adaptor with a garden hose - which works fine. Or you can take out the adaptor and replace it with a larger barbed fitting for mega-flow through a larger hose, such as vinyl tubing or store-flat drain hose.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 02:45:09 pm »
Well the auction is over. Some lucky guy got it for $41.

Was that you tubbin?
07 Caldera Geneva

Tman122

• Ultimate Member
  • If it Ain't Broke
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2006, 05:42:19 am »
This one's my favorite. Works great!

Water WizardŽ Submersible Pumps
Includes garden hose adapter and removable inlet screen for easy cleaning. Lifetime oil supply. Pumps down to 1/8" (3.2 mm.), in manual mode operation.
# 1200 GPH @ 1' maximum flow rate
# 1/6 HP thermally protected, shaded pole motor
# Epoxy-coated cast aluminum housing
# 1" FNPT outlet includes garden-hose adapter
# Bottom inlet has removable screen for easy cleaning

This is also the one I use but....keep in mind that 1200 GPH is at 1' of head and your tub is 3 feet deep with the head calculation of a hose included, so the GPH drops to.............ummmm........crap I need a chart. Probably around 1/2 the published 1200. But it'll still empty a 400 gallon tub in less than an half hour through a garden hose. Now if you used a 1 inch hose.....awww never mind.
Retired

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 07:02:38 am »

Thats why I own e-Bay stock! ;)

ps: Chas that blue pump is the one I have too.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 07:06:19 am by Zep »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2006, 07:02:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42