What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Floor Models  (Read 5971 times)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
Floor Models
« on: April 11, 2006, 06:36:36 pm »
For both the dealers and consumers here.
I was wondering what you consider to be a floor model or a demo spa. Do you feel that a spa that is sitting on the floor but has never been filled other than during the manufacturing process is the same as a spa that you keep wet on your floor. I am of the opinion that a spa sitting on the floor dry is not much different from one sitting in a warehouse. In some ways you can make a case for it being preferred. But do you see them in the same way the one that has been or is wet as being the same as the one sitting dry.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 06:37:48 pm by Mendocino101 »

Hot Tub Forum

Floor Models
« on: April 11, 2006, 06:36:36 pm »

OC_Spas

Re: Floor Models
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 07:50:57 pm »
To me, if it hasn't been filled with water and operated since it left the factory it is a "new" spa, no different than a new car sitting in the dealer's showroom. That said, my customers always demand a discount if it has been on display in my store, operated or not!

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 08:12:35 pm »
If it's on the floor, and someone really cries, we'll discount the spa to our lowest sale price. We show all the watkins lifters, spaudio, Iq2020 remotes, so those accessories stay with the spa and are discounted slightly. If you want one wrapped from the warehouse or straight from the factory, no problem.
To me, if it hasn't gotten any "show" wear it's new. We tend not to sell the floor models as we carry backup inventory.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 08:39:13 pm »
We discount both "floor models" and "demos", but the wet ones get more of a discount.  Discount is never huge, certainly not what the grinders are looking for.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 09:19:34 pm »
I say it's a new model. Do you have a chiseler trying to get it at the demo price?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Iceman

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 09:42:51 pm »
I bought a 2005 Grandee floor model. It had never been filled at the dealership. The dealer was trying to get the '05 models out the door ahead of the '06 models. The floor model had the exact shell & cabinet colors I was looking for. I had made up my mind to buy for the price he was asking because I knew this to be a fair price. I asked if he had any more in inventory and he replied this was the only one with this color combination. Before I said another word he asked me if we had a deal if he took $600.00 off for the  tub being a floor model. I quickly replied, "you have a deal." Since he gave me this discount that I was not even going to ask for he secured me as a customer for as long as I own my spa. The delivery, set-up, and customer service have been top notch. I plan to buy all my chemicals & accessories from him as well.  
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 05:33:05 am by Iceman »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 10:50:10 pm »
I say it's a new model. Do you have a chiseler trying to get it at the demo price?

I partially agree. If I got a dry floor model unknowingly and found out afterward that it was on the floor for 9 months but I wasn't told I'd feel like they pulled one over on me and would be very pissed off not necessarily because I thought I was getting an inferior product but because that information was being purposefully withheld that should have been known to me. If it had been on the floor 1 month I doubt I'd care. Where is the cutoff, I don't know. I'm used to seeing a discount on long term dry floor models but none on quick turnarounds. I'd probably have some break point that I felt was fair and any dry model under that time period I might not say anything and those over I would let it be known but wouldn't discount it any great deal.

Wet floor models are obviously a separate animal.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 09:50:15 am »
I think floor models are different than demos.

Funny, At first I was going to say   I would expect some discount off a floor model, but after thining about it, If I went into a car dealership and they  had one sitting on the show room floor, I wouldn't expect to get a discount.

So, if the spa has never been used,  and has no dings or dents, then  I would have to say it's new.  

« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 10:00:06 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 09:53:02 am »
All dry floor models are new spas, all wet floor models will be discounted.  If the customer wants one new in the wrapper, they get one from the warehouse.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Skellman

• There's more horses asses than there are horses!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 09:59:08 am »
The HotSpring/Sundance dealer I'm working with immediately took 10% off of their 05 models. A little more for the wet-test models.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 02:34:20 pm »
Thank you for your responses ....I was wanting to acknowledge that a spa that is or was wet on the floor is different than one that has been kept dry....also to make room for 06 models is a necessity but would apply to a spa that is on the floor or in the warehouse in much the same way....It seems that most here feel that a dry tub on a floor is pretty much the same as one that is in the warehouse....I share that view as well..... :)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 02:37:29 pm »
I can see why a dealer might be a bit reluctant then to do a wet test....it depreciates the tub's value.  Sure, if the person wet testing a new tub buys it,  that's great.

But if someone insist that you fill up the 2006 Flatulator 500 with the new waterfall, and then after sitting in it says
"No thanks, I'm going to the internet to by my tub", you just lost several hundred dollars, no?

« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 02:38:49 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 02:53:24 pm »
I can see why a dealer might be a bit reluctant then to do a wet test....it depreciates the tub's value.  Sure, if the person wet testing a new tub buys it,  that's great.

But if someone insist that you fill up the 2006 Flatulator 500 with the new waterfall, and then after sitting in it says
"No thanks, I'm going to the internet to by my tub", you just lost several hundred dollars, no?

YES.....We try and keep wet models that are comparable to those that are dry....It is true that the tubs may not have the exact same feel but if jets are the same and the pumps are the same and you as an example are showing a lounge wet and the non lounge version dry than it is reasonable that you will get a good feel for the spa. If after wet testing a person does not like our spa that is fine as that is why you wet test. I must say very very few buyers do wet test and I do not think for those who do we have not earned the business of all but 2. I think when someone wet tests they are comfortable with you as a dealer and if the spa feels good than in most cases their mind is made up.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 03:15:28 pm »
I bought a floor model because we were looking at a particular model and we said, yes, this is great, but we want this color, this package, and not this.  He happened to have exactly what we were describing. He was very specific in saying that it was new from the factory, and they hadn't filled it.   He made clear it would get the same exact warranty as if it was delivered from the factory, which essentially it was, with an extra few days sitting in the show room.  I already felt like I was getting a good deal and they were true to their word on the warranty.

I would consider any tub used in a show or for wet testing to be a demo spa.  I didn't buy one, but I know my dealer would have pointed out the warranty and if it had been scuffed or shown any sign of wear, I'm sure they would have pointed it out.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 03:22:55 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 04:43:48 pm »
Our dealer keeps floor models out all season, then clears them out at the end of the year for the new models.  Inventory is kept in a central warehouse, since this dealer has many locations in the area.  
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 04:43:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42