What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: pH issues  (Read 5501 times)

anne

pH issues
« on: April 10, 2006, 06:57:45 pm »
I refilled my tub about a week ago. I was using test strips at that point which twice indicated that my water started with a pH of about 6.8 and about 40-60 TA. I added bicarb (6TBSP to 390 gal) and the next day had a pH of about 7.3 and TA of 120. I did not measure these values again for a few days, until I got a Taylor test kit. Then I had a pH of 8.0 and a TA of 120! Added dry acid (Leisuretime) and several hours later pH was down to 7.3. Then today (2 days later) pH is back up to 7.8! TA is still 110-120.

I dont understand what keeps pushing my pH up. I add chlorine about one daily. Started the tub with Metal Gon, but have added no other products. Any ideas?
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

pH issues
« on: April 10, 2006, 06:57:45 pm »

salesdvl

Re: pH issues
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 07:08:01 pm »
Sounds to me like your Amalgamator Valve is out of allignment.  
Measure once, cut twice.

salesdvl

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 07:08:37 pm »
 ;)  
Measure once, cut twice.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 07:12:18 pm »
Your levels aren't that bad and you used two differnt methods for the the first two tests.  Obviously you are aware of that) Test PH levels half as often using the same Taylor test kit and let us know how that goes.  Since your water should last at least 3 months, there is no hurry to make fine adjustments. Try waiting 48 hours after making a PH change before checking again. This will avoid what I call the PH yo-yo effect.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

salesdvl

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 07:30:39 pm »
Your levels aren't that bad and you used two differnt methods for the the first two tests.  Obviously you are aware of that) Test PH levels half as often using the same Taylor test kit and let us know how that goes.  Since your water should last at least 3 months, there is no hurry to make fine adjustments. Try waiting 48 hours after making a PH change before checking again. This will avoid what I call the PH yo-yo effect.

or check your Amalgamator Valve.   ;D
Measure once, cut twice.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 08:15:37 pm »

or check your Amalgamator Valve.   ;D

Is that like the left-handed smoke shifter?  ;D
RIP C-Rod

salesdvl

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 08:48:58 pm »
I'm not sure, but I believe it is just behind the "Tension Intenuator"   ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

anne

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 09:44:42 pm »
As everybody knows, Arctic Amalgamator valves are the best out there. The dealer told me so. So I dont think that is the problem. ;D

Yes, you are right, I used 2 different methods, which adds questions. After getting the first 8.0 pH with the titrating kit, I did a strip, which was 7.8-8.0. So I dont think it was just that the strip was inaccurate. I am probably at the mercy of newbie-heebie-geebies. I'll mellow out and not measure it again for a few days. Just added a bit more acid today after the 7.8 reading.

So you guys can assure me that if my pH isn't perfect for a few days/weeks here and there, I wont kill my tub? I'm obsessing over the little circular slide rule in my Taylor test kit. I want balanced water!!!!!!!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 10:50:09 pm »
Great post Anne,  Clearly you are aware, and I think we all have been through it.  Rest assured, a few days of 8.0 or 7.0 PH will not kill your tub, but it does get easier
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hymbaw

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 11:57:39 pm »
Aeration mixed with hot water (both present in spas) will naturally cause the ph to rise. Just keep your TA in the proper range adjust ph accordingly.

Good Luck
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

anne

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 01:27:44 am »
hmmmm, i have been using my venturi controls more in the last few days.

thanks for the vote of confidence, wmccall!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 09:30:09 am »
Now, I'm far from an expert....these levels are a bit high, but are they worth chasing down?

If someone had decent water quality, tried to get the levels to lower, but would creep back up in a few days, is it that bad?

I was told too, better to be a bit high, than low.

? ? ? ? ?   ???
07 Caldera Geneva

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 10:25:23 am »
Aeration mixed with hot water (both present in spas) will naturally cause the ph to rise. Just keep your TA in the proper range adjust ph accordingly.

Good Luck

My experience would agree with that. This is one reason I use Sea Klear MPS to shock every week or two. It does cause the PH to drop (its un buffered) but the Alk levels stay reasonable.

anne

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 10:29:17 am »
With chlorine, I thought it was better to be a bit low than a bit high, for more effective sanitation.

With my Taylor "watergram" (the slide rule thingy) if I match up my water hardness of 400-500 (using 450) and TA of 110 (seems to average between 110-120) then at 104F, my pH should be 7.0, with a  +/-0.5 range, right? So I was aiming for 7.2-7.4

hymbaw

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 11:34:51 am »
With chlorine, I thought it was better to be a bit low than a bit high, for more effective sanitation.  

Anne, you're dead on! Chlorine is more effective at lower ph levels. By the time your ph creeps up to 7.8 your chlorine is only working at about 20% effectiveness.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 11:34:51 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42