What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Used Sundance Optima vs New Gulfcoast LX11000  (Read 12059 times)

merlot1999

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Used Sundance Optima vs New Gulfcoast LX11000
« on: April 09, 2006, 01:29:18 pm »
Hi everyone,

I've been hanging on this site for a while and I saw the concern about the gulfcoast brand.

My budget is limited.
I'm considering buying the new LX 11000 from gulfcoast 8200$ cnd)  spa (yes even if it sold from a garage).  But, with all the comment I've read, i'm a bit reluctant.  I've started to consider used spa but only brands that are good (I hope)
THe used spa I'm looking for is a Sundance optima 2005 (8000$) and the arctic spa summit legend 2005 (9000$)
I live in Quebec so the isolation is important for me.  The guy who sell the arctic said nothing equals Arctic for the isolation.  What do you think?

The decision between the new GC spa vs the used Sundance or Arctic is hard.  If the guarantee could be transfer, it will solve the issue but as you know, it is impossible.
So is it worth having a 24/7 phone service who won't come home for repair or having nothing but a more reliable spa?

Hope you'll be able to help me out
Thank
Steeve
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 10:28:08 pm by merlot1999 »

Hot Tub Forum

Used Sundance Optima vs New Gulfcoast LX11000
« on: April 09, 2006, 01:29:18 pm »

J._McD

Re: Used Sundance Optima vs New Gulfcoast LX11000
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 02:00:20 pm »
merlot, you are dealing with a personal decision here and only you know the facts regarding the condition and history of these spas.  Make the decision that is best for you.  There is no way we can interpret the decision you are confronted with.

The way you pose the question is a little strange, you seem to be willing to throw caution to the wind, but yet you are not that concerned about buying 2 used spas that are relatively new??? and yet without arranty???

IF you are going to spend $8,000, why not buy new, and why don't you have "other" options for the amount of money you are willing to spend?

What else are you looking at, or what have you looked at and how long have you been shopping?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 02:23:20 pm »
I personally would stay away from Gulf Coast. You're concerned about insulation so why take a chance. Both af the other 2 are known for their quality.

What other dealers are out there? Don't compare a "garage" brand to a top of the line name brand. What's a Sundance Bahia go for or a lower end Arctic or any other manufacturer for that matter.

I had a limited budget too and I shopped around to find the best value for me.  The problem with used might be no warranty and you don't know how "abused" the spa is.

If you can't afford top of the line buy secondary line instead ... They do the same job IMO!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 02:23:45 pm by Vinny »

merlot1999

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 02:47:24 pm »
merlot, you are dealing with a personal decision here and only you know the facts regarding the condition and history of these spas.  Make the decision that is best for you.  There is no way we can interpret the decision you are confronted with.

The way you pose the question is a little strange, you seem to be willing to throw caution to the wind, but yet you are not that concerned about buying 2 used spas that are relatively new??? and yet without arranty???

IF you are going to spend $8,000, why not buy new, and why don't you have "other" options for the amount of money you are willing to spend?

What else are you looking at, or what have you looked at and how long have you been shopping?

I'm wiling to spend 8000 canadian dollars.  THe 2 used spa, if I want them new, they would cost 12 to 13 000$...

I've been shopping for 1 month.  The others I,ve looked were coast spa and calspa.  I decided to forget those brand after reading comments.

Brookenstein

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2006, 03:12:58 pm »
Are the used spas being sold from a private party or at a dealer?  If private party, why are they being sold?  If at a dealer is the dealer including filters, delivery, and a short term warranty (like 30-90 days)?

merlot1999

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 04:30:52 pm »
This is from a private party.  They sell because they are moving to a condo or buying a motorcycle

anne

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2006, 04:32:31 pm »
I would second Brook's questions. If the 2005 models are from a dealer, (floor models?) they should have a full warranty. I just bought a 2005 Summit Legend that way. And if they are from private parties, I think they are overpriced since there is no warranty anymore. FWIW,  I have very limited expereince in this field, but I LOVE my tub.  
Dance like nobody's watching

merlot1999

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 04:37:17 pm »
If I can ask, how much did you pay for your summit? (please let me know the currency as well)

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 04:42:48 pm »
Here is something else to consider.  Do the sellers of the used ones have a dated receipt?  If so talk to the dealer to see if they had any service calls on them.

Maybe those dealers will honor the original warranty or maybe you can work out a deal of some sort.  The worst answer you can get is a "no".

r100rs

anne

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 05:01:13 pm »
If I can ask, how much did you pay for your summit? (please let me know the currency as well)

US dollars: $8000. (approx $8600 after taxes) Summit Legend with Arctic Ozone, wrap around three-tiered steps (2 sides), lifter (Covermate I), delivery, forever floor, start up chems, new filter. I ended up paying another $285 for the corner step since I changed my mind part way though the transaction as to bar vs steps on one side, but that was not a big deal to me.  Purchased end of Feb 2006. The tub has its full warranty from the day purchased.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 05:09:43 pm »
I'd take a good condition used Optima over a new Gulf Coast in a heartbeat.  
So you don't get a warranty- From what I hear, you dont' get much of one with a Gulf Coast anyway.  
Just because there's no warranty doesn't mean that you can't get the spa fixed- just call a service tech if you need one.  
In the 3 years I've owned my Optima, we've needed warranty service once, to replace the circ. pump.
So far I gotta believe that the cost of my warranty has exceeded what I've gotten back from it.  
And no- I didn't pay extra for an extended warranty- I'm talking about the factory supplied one.  
Even though we don't see it, we pay for these in the price of the spa.
Ever own a car after the warranty expired?  We do, and if they need service, I take them in or fix myself.  
Not the end of the world.

Brewman

merlot1999

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 05:18:01 pm »
This is much cheaper then what I can get in Canada. The arctic spa dealer had a summit legend 2005 and the price was 11800 canadian or  10300 US.  For the 2006, it is 12650 cnd or 11000 us

Now you see why I do hesitate with the gulfcoast LX 11000 selling at 8200 cnd or 7150 us !!!
We also have a 15% taxe to had up here.
why am I staying here???

dswslp

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
!Re: Used Sundance Optima vs New Gulfcoast LX11000
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 10:26:04 pm »
merlot,  i bought my  gulf coast from northeast factory direct cleveland ohio.  they had a showroom etc.  not all gc spas are sold out of garages that's just a way for people to slam them.  ours is pretty sharp.  the warranty on paper is just as good as anyone's but we've only had ours for a couple of weeks.  the insulation is similar to artic not full foam but foam layered to the bottom the the tub and outer insulation around the panels with air space between.  of coarse people will slam gc but not artic.  gc will give you alot for your money.   anyother outlets for gc around your area? Mine was 5395 american

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: !Used Sundance Optima vs New Gulfcoast LX11000
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 10:35:21 pm »
 the warranty on paper is just as good as anyone's but we've only had ours for a couple of weeks.  

The warranty may look good on paper but it's how well they actually cover it that matters. I hope you've registered your spa as a GC rep admitted on this site that they do not honor warranties unless people register their spas within 2 weeks of delivery (amazing and a sleezy attempt to skirt their responsibility IMO but its very true). The fact that you have a local dealer means a LOT so good luck and congrats on your new spa.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

anne

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 11:45:37 pm »
of coarse people will slam gc but not artic.    

Oh yes they will!!!!!  :P :-/ ;D

For what it is worth, The Arctic dealer totalled up what I would have paid "MSRP" new, and it was about $14,000. Sort of meaningless. Seems like one thing that Arctic very rightfully gets criticised for is having inflated prices that then you can negotiate. That was not much of an issue for me, but it seems common.

I completely agree with Brewman: I'd buy a higher quality/better regarded unit with no warranty before a questionable one with a (questionable?) warranty any day. Sundance versus Arctic- Cant help you there. Both have lots of happy owners.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 11:45:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42