What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: electrical question  (Read 3059 times)

greggle781

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
electrical question
« on: April 09, 2006, 08:20:55 pm »
I am running outside accent lighting in my yard in the flower beds. Does anyone know how far away from the hot tub you have to keep the lights? The lights are 115 V not low voltage?

Hot Tub Forum

electrical question
« on: April 09, 2006, 08:20:55 pm »

galen

• Maxxus
Re: electrical question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 08:31:51 pm »
I'm assuming it is the same as the quick disconnect. 5'. An 115 volt  electrical currant is all the same.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 08:33:33 pm by galen »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 09:49:34 pm »
I'd get a ruling from your local electrical inspector on that one.  
I'm not certain what the NEC says about permanently installed electrical fixtures near spas.  I do know that there must be a 10' distance between your spa and any power outlets.  I'm pretty sure the distance wouldn't be based on the 5' rule that applies to your disconnect, which is or should be to code for weather resistance.
One or several 115v lite bulb/fixtures would be ruled to a different standard.  
Call the person who enforces the electrical code in your area to answer that one.  
« Last Edit: April 09, 2006, 09:50:15 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 12:17:13 pm »
around here it's 5' for the GFCI box, 10' for outlets, and the set of low-voltage lights I WAS going to use near the tub also state in the paperwork 10' minimum from a pool/spa. DOH!
RIP C-Rod

nickB

• shhh....i'm relaxing
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 05:22:04 pm »
as an electrician and what code says is that anything electrical has to be greater than or equal to 5' from the tub. depending on the lighting i couldn't see the need for anything closer then 5'. if you want to run something closer then PLEASE make sure to use some kind of circuit breaker ie. power strip in line with your lights. but i wouldn't risk that anyways. remember the vapor escaping can condense on lights and cause them the blow also. don't think about using submersible lights outside water. they get really hot (the water keeps them cool) when not in water. but low wattage bulbs are just as nice and effective at 5' as 3'. moral of story-use 5' as rule.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 12:44:34 am »
5 feet from the water for outlets etc,

7 feet for GFI-protected lighting indoors,

10 feet for GFI-protected lighting outdoors.

Did I mention that it should be GFI protected?
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 06:45:18 am »
I wanted to put a ceiling fan over the tub in hot tub room.  As I thought about it a simple rule of common sense came to mind.  Don't locate any electrical item within reach of a person in the hot tub.  The ceiling fan is in the roon, but neither the wall switch nor the pull chains can not be reached from the tub.  Everything in the room is either plugged into a GFI receptacle or wired off a GFI breaker so any water contact will quickly pop the breaker.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 06:45:18 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42