What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: HOT SPOT not heating water  (Read 10891 times)

gkck

HOT SPOT not heating water
« on: April 05, 2006, 10:07:55 pm »
I have a 10 year old HOT SPOT by Hot Springs. It is the round portable 110 volt system. I have replaced the flow switch and the heater. When it runs it heats the water great but lately it has been switching ON/OFF a few seconds at a time and now does not come on at all. I can turn it on by the switch but it is not automatically not turning itself on in order to keep the water heated as it should.

Now The Hot SPrings service guy came over. He had Hot Springs office on themine. They  said replace relay 1..no change ::)...try relay 2....  ::)no change. $50 a pop gets exspencive.. >:(. Anyone have an idea of where I might send the box and have it looked at on a bench. I am thinking of getting my local service rep. to send it back to Hot Springs and let them look at it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
gkck
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 10:54:41 pm by gkck »

Hot Tub Forum

HOT SPOT not heating water
« on: April 05, 2006, 10:07:55 pm »

oldersparepairguy

• Take the gun, leave the cannolis
Re: HOT SPOT not heating water
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 10:34:08 pm »
Well, you have made several guesses.....replaced heater, flow switch, but what you really need is a good voltmeter, and some basic troubleshooting skills. I understand you would like to save money and do it yourself, but at this point you really should think about hiring a pro. Sometimes you can get lucky replacing parts that seem likely, but that has not worked for you so far, and this is getting into some more serious troubleshooting requirments. I also suggest you look for tech with Hot Springs experience. I've worked on many of them, and the older comtrollers can get hairy if you have not worked on one before.

gkck

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 09:02:44 am »
Problem is that the local Hot Springs dealer is the one who recommended the flow switch anf heater element. That is why I am leary of having them trouble shoot it for me without an idea of what it might be. I figure if I get an idea off the forum and he comes up with the same thing that at least he may not just be guessing. I have $175.00 in the two parts I have replaced but this is getting old. I wish I had another service rep in town.

Thanks
gkck

hotubinn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 09:23:29 am »
Sounds like a thermostat to me, but I really would contact a service professional.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 10:15:58 am »
Is that one of the old packs you can remove and take into the shop?  If so, that would be the easiest thing to do.

Dealer can recommend.  But that is all it is without testing.  Just as people here advocate wet testing, in service, testing/diagnosing is even more important.  Otherwise, we are educated guessing.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 12:19:20 pm »
Here is some verbiage from the troubleshooting guide for your spa:

SYMPTOM: SPA WATER IS NOT HEATING

The spa does not heat and the water temperature continues to decrease. In some cases, the low speed jet pump will run continuously.

The spa water is heated through the combination of the spa’s circulation system, control thermostat and electric heater.

Most Common Causes
Clogged or Dirty Filter
Clogged Intake Screens
Non-operative Control Thermostat
Non-operative Heater
Non-operative Pressure Switch

Spa Owner Verification

1. Remove any debris from the intake screens.
2. Remove the filter from the filter canister. Clean the filter with a filter cleaner/degreaser. Reinstall the filter.
3. If none of the above correct the problem, service is required.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 12:25:54 pm »
A couple of other ideas:

You said it is turning off and on rapidly. I think that's what you meant. That can often mean low voltage to the unit. Even if the thing has been fine for years, check this carefully. I have seen MANY 110 volt tubs with a bad connection or undersized wire run for a long time before this problem comes to light.

Put a meter on the inlet wires in the box and turn on the jets. The voltage must stay above 100.

Also - in case this tub is new to you - there is a ten-minute time delay built in. When you run the jets and then turn them off, the unit is supposed to sit idle for ten minutes before the heat/low speed jets kick in.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 12:28:38 pm »
If it's the type with the little square control box, flow thru heater, we usually pull the pack and hook it up to a barrel of water on our bench. You just can not work on it, or troubleshoot while it's in the spa.
Does sound like a thermostat, or problem with low speed, could also be the 10 minute timer. Let us know how you make out.
Could always box it up and ship to us.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

TubsAndCues

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 01:42:32 pm »
Before you spend a dime, pull out the filter and see if you are still getting the same problem.  I would say 80% of the time or more when I hear this from customers, it's because they have not cleaned their filter recently or in a proper way.

If you're still having problems, then look at the mechanical stuff, but this could save you a lot of time and money.  BTW, if it heats up again with out the filter, soak it in a filter cleaner/degreaser or buy a new one.

Good luck!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 01:48:25 pm »
Good advice from all.  With heating issues always check for clogged filters as first step.

Always test, do not randomly replace parts...unless you want to throw away money.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

gkck

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 11:19:04 pm »
If it's the type with the little square control box, flow thru heater, we usually pull the pack and hook it up to a barrel of water on our bench. You just can not work on it, or troubleshoot while it's in the spa.
Does sound like a thermostat, or problem with low speed, could also be the 10 minute timer. Let us know how you make out.
Could always box it up and ship to us.

It is a square box. If I knew how to reply and post a pic I have one.

Thanks
Greg

gkck

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 11:20:37 pm »
A couple of other ideas:

You said it is turning off and on rapidly. I think that's what you meant. That can often mean low voltage to the unit. Even if the thing has been fine for years, check this carefully. I have seen MANY 110 volt tubs with a bad connection or undersized wire run for a long time before this problem comes to light.

Put a meter on the inlet wires in the box and turn on the jets. The voltage must stay above 100.

Also - in case this tub is new to you - there is a ten-minute time delay built in. When you run the jets and then turn them off, the unit is supposed to sit idle for ten minutes before the heat/low speed jets kick in.

The 10 minute timer does not come on anymore either. The only way to ensure it will come on is by the top side controls.
Thanks
GReg

gkck

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 11:22:29 pm »
Good advice from all.  With heating issues always check for clogged filters as first step.

Always test, do not randomly replace parts...unless you want to throw away money.

I removed the filter...no change in performance.

I guess I will try to see if I can get the box off the tub and take it in. The spa dealer rep is nice but very overloaded.

gkck

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 10:55:38 pm »
btt

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 10:55:38 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42