What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Placing hot tub on a balcony  (Read 12455 times)

sassy1964

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Placing hot tub on a balcony
« on: April 10, 2006, 07:21:19 pm »
Help...New to the site,and also new to Hot-tubbing.
I'm in the process of enclosing my balcony into a Sunroom and plan on putting in a Hot-tub,a 3-4 person size.First..do I need additional exhaust fans in the ceiling?What type of support do I need,there are two bedrooms below balcony.What about heating,can I go with the regular heaters it comes with?also since it'll be enclosed,how often do I ned to check ph,chlorine,etc...
Thanks..for any/all input....
Live your life as though today was the last.

Hot Tub Forum

Placing hot tub on a balcony
« on: April 10, 2006, 07:21:19 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Placing hot tub on a balcony
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 07:25:34 pm »
I'll leave the sructural questions to someone who has a clue  ;D.  As for as the chemical testing, how often you use it teamed with how many users has a great effect on chemistry. I can't think of any reason this would be affected by enclosed vs open.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

sassy1964

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 07:35:17 pm »
Thanks for ur prompt reply wmccall.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 08:14:10 pm »
 As for as the chemical testing, how often you use it teamed with how many users has a great effect on chemistry. I can't think of any reason this would be affected by enclosed vs open.

Only thing I can put in here is we have several mature trees that are dropping stuff into the tub everytime it's open (pieces of bark, bugs, etc).....also the birds have apparently put an invisible bullseye on the cover, and have been aiming pretty successfully at the tub....that might make our maintenance and chemical useage a bit more, gallon for gallon, than an indoor tub. ;)
RIP C-Rod

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 08:20:56 pm »
Most floors are simply NOT rated for a long-term dead-weight such as a spa would impose.

Bracing might be very simple, but I would suggest you call a contractor for that.

I have put lots of spas indoors, and yes, extra fans are a good idea. A tub will put out as much steam as a shower, so look at the type of ventilation you have in your bathroom. While you're in there, look at the type of flooring and the type of paint you used also.

As far as the heaters, I don't understand your question. If you are looking at self contained spas, they will be, well, self contained. The heaters that come with the tub will be fine for indoor use.

If you are talking about some sort of gas appliance, then I would say you will have to do all the same venting you do for a water heater or other gas appliance. However, most tubs sold today are all-electric. The technology has come along to the point that they are the same or less exepensive to run.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

sassy1964

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 09:08:58 pm »
I already have in place a Contractor who will be doing the conversion from Balcony to Enclosed Sunroom,just thought it would be a good idea to get input from those who may already have an enclosed Spa.
Thanks.

sassy1964

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 09:15:00 pm »
I already have in place a Contractor who'll be doing the conversion from Balcony to enclosed Sunroom,just thought I'd get additional input from those who have an enclosed Hot-tub/Spa.

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 09:26:01 pm »
Take a look at the website of any model you are looking at. Specs such as size and dry/full weight will be of interest to your contractor.  At 200 pounds per person for each person the tub says it holds.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 09:30:45 pm »
make sure your local building department is involved with this one. may also want to consider usind a rubber membrane or pitching the floor for the water that WILL get on the floor from opening cover, bathers and splash out.

Some spas can be shimmed to level them. ;D
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 09:57:46 pm »
This sounds similar to our project.  We removed an old 12x12 deck and installed a 12x18 enclosed porch.  There is no basement directly underneath.

There are four 6 x 6 pillars set in 36 inch deep holes on a concrete base.  These support 2 double 2x12 laminated beams.  One end of each beam is set into the top of the concrete block basement wall.  These beams support 2x12 rafters set on 16 inch centers.  These are covered with 3/4 exterior T&G OSB, 1/4 base plywood and Congoleum Ultima linoleum.  

This all supports the roof, 2 walls and a Jacuzzi 385 that weighs 6000 lbs filled.

This was taken last November.  You can see the beams pillars and rafters and the electric hanging down ready to be fed up thru the floor.

Here is a view from the side taken 2 weeks before the 1st picture.  We had to leave this wall open until we craned the tub in.  It is 8 ft square and the slider is only a 6 footer.  After we craned it in, we finished the walls and installed the slider and windows.  The siding is light gray now.  We laid the linoleum before putting in the tub.  that way there are no seams or breaks except the hole that lets the electric in from below.

Check out my bird condos.  I build 'em and my wife paints 'em.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 10:47:10 pm »
Snowbird, loved that photo taken from inside when there was snow cover.

sassy1964

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 11:58:35 pm »
Snowbird...Thanks a million,will be showing your response to my Contractor tomorrow when he arrives.Appreciate the pics/explanation so very much.I also viewed your post earlier re: your hot-tub endeavors with that most spectacular view,do hope you continue to enjoy.
To all,am so pleased to have found this site,thanks all.

Drewski

• Artesian Piper Glen since 1999 in Beachtown, USA
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 09:04:06 am »
Hi Sassy1964:

Sounds like you have quite a project on your hands. Please take VERY seriously Chas and Snowbird's discussion of under floor support for your balcony. Without such support, I don't see how you could do your project.

For just a little idea about weight, a 4 person spa might weight 350 LBS and use 300 GAL of water. 300 GAL X 8.35 LBS/GAL = 2505 LBS. Add 4 people at an average of 175 LBS each and this creates a total load of more than 3,500 LBS. For perspective, that's like having more than 20 people stand out on your balcony at one time. Ever read those news stories about balcony collapses during parties?

Another thing to think about is where to run your power. You need to have a cutoff near the tub, but the cutoff also needs to be 10 FT away from the tub. I'd imagine that's getting a little tight for a balcony. Others, more familiar with the NEC than I, could comment on this but I'm thinking this could be a real issue for you...

Food for thought...

Drewski

8)    
It's a HOT tub... anything else is just a POOL!

gw

• sundance cameo owner
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 12:23:30 pm »
my wife and i were shopping/lurking/considering for about a year.  during that time, we started with an inside tub scenario, then outside, back in, and finally settled on outside on the patio.  

it's fun to watch the sunset, moon, etc.

sassy1964

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 12:30:49 pm »
Drewski...thanks for your input,the balcony is quite large,12x22,so there is ample room for the coded distance.Last night I spent hours on diiff. spa's website reading up on their weights even before your post,and think since I also own the adjoining lot to my home,I just may build a seperate covered deck/gazebo there instead.Rather be safe than sorry.
Thanks.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 12:30:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42