What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Prior Foundation  (Read 2454 times)

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
Prior Foundation
« on: April 08, 2006, 03:33:15 pm »
As I spend my free time out here in Colorado looking at houses.  I came across one that had a slab poured for a tub and electrical is run to it (on a 30 amp breaker).

Looking at the footprint from the previous tub and the electirical requirements it is obvious that it was a small tub.

My question is - How can one test the structural integrity of the slab to see if it can accomodate a larger tub? (i.e. my Optima)

The house fits our requirements and I may put an offer in shortly.

r100rs

Hot Tub Forum

Prior Foundation
« on: April 08, 2006, 03:33:15 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Prior Foundation
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 04:00:49 pm »
I thought you were going to sell the Optima with the house and upgrade to HotSpring?

- kidding -

You can only check the edges of the slab I guess - can you dig  one shovel-full of dirt away from the edge? Keep in mind that a four inch edge doesn't gaurantee that the center is the same - but it's a good sign.

Contractor who did it still around?

Otherwise just have the seller put in the contract what they think it is and sue 'em later.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 04:12:19 pm »
You'll find 30 amps isn't going to be enough.  50 or 60 is more in line with what you'll need.  

That said, how many wires are there?  4 is an excellent answer although there are tubs that will run using 3.

Is it Romex or individual wires?  If it's Romex, it's not good enough.  You need individual conductors.

What gauge of wire is there?  6 gauge is an excellent answer; 4 gauge an even better one.  But it depends on long the run is from the panel to the tub.  

How big is the conduit?  1" is a good answer.

I'm not an electrician so please do consult with one regarding the tub you choose.

Jim

hymbaw

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 04:25:07 pm »
As long as the slab is big enough I think You'll be fine. Most tubs fall in the 100 - 110 lbs/sq. inch (i.e. the Optima has the additional weight but it is spread over a bigger footprint)

The Optima is a 3 wire tub factory set to accept 50 amps

By changing jumpers it will accept 35 or 60 amps as well
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 07:06:50 pm »
30 amps setting disarms the heat when the jets are turned on.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

r100rs

• A real BMW only has 2 wheels!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 09:51:23 pm »
Guess Ill call the local dealer off the web and have them come out to inspect it.  Of course their web site only list Jacuzzi.  

Yes I know the electrical will have to be upgraded

If anybody is interested, I might need help moving the tub 1000 miles. LOL  - I think

r100rs

Hot Tub Guru

• Heavenly Times Hot Tubs & Billiards
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 10:28:06 am »
Where in CO?  I have a sales & service (weekly chemical service).  My store is in Dillon (Summit County).

Michael

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 10:28:06 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42