What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: electrical hookups  (Read 6136 times)

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
electrical hookups
« on: April 05, 2006, 09:37:01 pm »
My electrician ran the wiring the other day.

The instructions given to me by my dealer asked for enough wiring to stretch to all 4 corners plus a 6 foot "pigtail."

Needless to say, I've got tons of wire.  I'm installing my patio this weekend and I want to bury or hide the wire in some way.  

How much wire do I need to leave exposed for when my tub gets here?  (i'm going to call my dealer in the morning to get their opinion also).  

Here is a photo

« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 09:38:40 pm by TN__HOT_TUB »
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Hot Tub Forum

electrical hookups
« on: April 05, 2006, 09:37:01 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: electrical hookups
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 10:08:46 pm »
If the 2006 Cayman is like the 2005 there's an opening on either side of the front of the unit and the electrical connection is in the middle.

To meet code you can't have any wire exposed outside the tub. I would think about where you want the tub, put the wires in PVC pipe, run an elbow out of the patio and a straight 3' (way longer than needed) pipe to house the wiring. When the tub comes, slide the tub to the  piping and cut the 3' section to the appropriate height, add an elbow and go into the tub (might need a straight piece depending on how close the tub is to the wiring).  

My friend who is an electrician put an electric box in the tub and connected 6 guage flexible cord to the tub and connected that cord to the wire by using connectors that are used for power cables to the house (looks like a giant "U" shaped Bolt with a nut). He thought that the connection to the tub might be too difficult using the solid 6 wire.

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 12:12:30 am »
TN Hot Tub, I did just about what Vinny said, but I just stubbed up a 1" PVC about 8" above the slab. I called the dealer and he told me where the hole was on the side of the tub. So I stubbed the pvc pretty close to where I new it should go. Look at the space between the elbow and the tub. In other words you can't place your tub right next to the PVC that stubbed up. You need to allow for the elbow. Hope this helps.  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 01:04:27 am »
If you're going to run the wire under and come up thru the concrete anyway, consider running up thru the bottom of the spa.  That way, you have nothing visible.
You'd need to check to see if that's possible for your spa, and if so, find out where to pop the wire thru.
Regardless, leave a lot of wire exposed- it's pretty easy to cut it back once you know for sure how much you need to reach, but a real pain if it's cut even a few inches too short.  
Not only can you not have exposed wire outside the tub, but NEC requires that you can't have any wire exposed inside the cabinet either.  It has to be in conduit all the way to the electrical box inside the spa.

Brewman

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 06:56:10 am »
re: If you're going to run the wire under and come up thru the concrete anyway, consider running up thru the bottom of the spa.  That way, you have nothing visible.

This is what my electrical guy did several days ago as I await delivery of tub.

Cola

• Time for bed kids
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 07:23:03 am »
Yes deffinitely up through the bottom.  You should decide on the placement direction then make a trip to the dealer to find out exactly where you will be entering the bottom.  You may have to pop a hole through but its no big deal.  I had the drill ready when they showed up with mine and the guys held it up while I popped the hole in.  Good luck
Steve

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 08:38:10 am »
We're actually installing a flagstone/brick patio for the tub (not concrete)

Vinny...can you email or post a photo of that U bolt? Also, was your electrician friend there when they delivered the tub, or did the dealer folks handle things?

Looks like i may need to trim up some of this wire.  The black portion should not be a problem, but that gray portion is some kind of protective sheath. Looks like i may need to call my dealer and electrician.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 09:02:26 am »
re: We're actually installing a flagstone/brick patio for the tub (not concrete)

So the tub will be sitting on flagstone?

Wouldn't it still be practical to bring the wiring through whatever you are using(flagstone, concrete, ect) so nothing is visible?

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 09:08:57 am »
He wired the tub after the tub was delivered.

Here's a link to the product:

http://www.foxelectricsupply.com/content/products/ProductCatalog.asp?qshCatId=24629

This is the way they used to do the incoming service to houses.Some electricians still do. We discussed it and figured if they're good enough for that use then it's good enough for a 50 amp tub. Make sure that you use the correct guage wire through out the entire length.

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 04:18:58 pm »
Local dealer said the flexible conduit (gray) that I have in place would suffice. The tub installers can trim up when they install.

Looks like i just need to build push the wiring conduit up through the patio (build the patio around the conduit).

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2006, 10:30:17 am »
If you have to get the install inspected by your local building folks, you may want to check on the code for the length of flexible conduit allowed.  

I was only allowed to use the liquidtite flex conduit the last 6 ft of my run.  The rest had to be rigid conduit.  My county pretty much follows the National Electric Code (NEC) and I believe the NEC states this, but I don't remember if it was just something extra that the county added, or their interpretation of the code.  THe inspector did "check" the length when he came to do the final wiring inspection.   I can look in the NEC to find it if you need a reference.  

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2006, 11:25:29 am »
If you have to get the install inspected by your local building folks, you may want to check on the code for the length of flexible conduit allowed.  

I was only allowed to use the liquidtite flex conduit the last 6 ft of my run.  The rest had to be rigid conduit.  

The code does spec 6 feet, but the inspectors around here allow more if it is well anchored. In other words, if I run ten feet of flex but I anchor it to the wall and/or slab every couple of feet, they don't count it as 'flexible' anymore. This speeds things up, and gives greater - well - flexibility.

Two other points:

In your photo I see jacketed cable, or "Romex" inside of conduit. Don't do it. It is illegal in all 50 states plus some small countries such as Texas. Very few inspectors will call it and I see it all the time on DIY jobs, but five years from now if you want to pull ONE wire out and replace it, not only will you not be able to do it, you may not even be able to get the whole cable to come out of the conduit.

Also: don't come up through the slab/brick unless you are absolutely sure you can get the thing exactly where it needs to be. LOTS of my customers have the electrician put the conduit just right, and then the concrete guys stomp it to death as they work. Ends up at an angle, submerged, or worse: it ends up two inches off and can't be used.

If you were going to be pouring a slab, I wouldn't bring in the conduit until the spa is in place. Then I would set the spa temporarily in place, and look it over real good. Be sure that's where you want the spa. This is your last chance to change your mind - but at least you have this chance.

Then mark the spot, and drill a hole. Sounds hard, but the cememt will be fresh and soft and a rotohammer will do it in minutes.  Then tunnel the foot or so under the edge of the slab and run PVC conduit to the spot, finishing off the last couple of feet inside the tub with flex. You will have invisible wiring, well protected. [/list]
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 11:30:41 am »
We're actually installing a flagstone/brick patio for the tub (not concrete)
Why? You won't be able to see much of it, and I doubt you will get as much support from it as you would a simple, cheap slab. Consider colored concrete?

Just a thought. Trying to save you money and work....

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

watzup

• sipping suds
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 07:22:04 pm »
 "In your photo I see jacketed cable, or "Romex" inside of conduit. Don't do it. "

When you run Romex thru the attic, like I did, and connect it to a 'disconnect box' on the wall 5-15 ft from the spa, how are you supposed to get it down the wall and into the box (about 2ft worth) without the use of rigid conduit.?  ( In my case, I then switched to individual conductors rated for under ground THHW??? and continued with rigid to a spot next to the inlet hole on the sp and switched to the grey flex stuff)  ???
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 07:26:58 pm by watzup »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2006, 08:54:11 pm »
Running romex thru conduit subjects the wiring, in certain cases, to de-rating.  
That might mean that the wire isn't allowed for it's rated capacity.  
Running romex thru a couple feet of conduit may be ok, but only your local inspector could say if allowed or not.
One possible way to run the wire thru the wall is using a fish tape, and pulling from the terminal end.  
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2006, 08:54:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42