What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Old built in spa  (Read 2388 times)

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
Old built in spa
« on: April 05, 2006, 01:43:37 pm »
One of my colleagues just bought a townhouse here in West Palm Beach.  He acquired an old built in spa as part of the deal and was asking me questions about it.  The former owner was paying $75/month for spa maintenance.  He said the spa is serviced by a large pump that is perhaps 20 or more feet away from the spa.  The pump runs about half of the time and is on a timer.  The spa has what sound like 4 pool jets.  There is a floater, no cover.  The heater is electric, but can't lift the temperature above luke warm.  

I told him to fire the spa maintenance company.  Adjust the timer on the pump to run maybe 10 minutes twice a day.  Throw away the floater and use dichlor per the Vermonter method, or to buy a cover and use bromine.  What about the heater?  What else?

Thanks,

Bill

Hot Tub Forum

Old built in spa
« on: April 05, 2006, 01:43:37 pm »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Old built in spa
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 03:40:59 pm »
You can heat a tub with electricity, but it must have a good cover, and it sure doesn't hurt to insulate any plumbing which is above ground. Also, fencing in the equipment area to keep the wind off of things is a good idea. Expect to pay a lot of money on power.

If your friend doesn't want to do the cover/insulation thing, have him check into gas heating - but be aware that the pump must be running for the heater to work, so it is really heating with gas AND elect.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 12:58:33 pm »
10 minutes twice a day is not enough.

Temperature problem probably due to thermostat out of calibration. Spa is only going to heat while pump is running, so I run it for a day or two contantly to see if it will get hot. At the minimum get a floating blanket to the tub if your going to try to heat it electrically.
With no cover, the way to go is gas, like chas said, you'll be able to heat it fairly rapidly when you'll want to use it.
A spa like that is alot like a sauna, you've got to plan ahead for when you're most likely going to use it.

Not everyone is spoiled with an envoy like you.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 12:58:33 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42