What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 6'6" - looking for a spa to Fit -  LA v. D1  (Read 4827 times)

estrella

• LA Spa Esteem
6'6" - looking for a spa to Fit -  LA v. D1
« on: April 01, 2006, 09:29:58 pm »
My husband and I have been looking for a spa, this is quite a task since he is 6'6" and 300+ lbs.  We are limited to the spas in our area which are:

Bullfrog - doesn't fit at all
Marquis - doesn't fit
Artesian - doesn't fit - extra short
HotSpring - might work in a pinch
Beachcomber - not lovin it for the price

Basically we have found that the LA spa fits pretty nice in the corner seat for him.  There is a dealer who has recently signed up with D1 and they are going to be getting in some of the D1 spas in a couple of weeks.  It looks like the ajustable neck unit would be a big plus for us.  Any other giants out there who have tried this one on for size?  

I am leaning toward the LA spa because of the excellent price and I really like the dealer which i understand is very important.  However, i have not been able to find any reviews on this tub at all.  Any opinions would be helpful.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 09:54:57 pm by estrella »

Hot Tub Forum

6'6" - looking for a spa to Fit -  LA v. D1
« on: April 01, 2006, 09:29:58 pm »

anne

Re: 6'6" - looking for a spa to Fit -  LA v. D1
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 10:46:00 pm »
I can only help in a limited way, as I am SHORT. But I found LA spas to be very nice in their layout and jet arrangements/strenth, but the seats and lounger were all too tall/big for me (5'4") and my 5'10" boyfriend. So perhaps it'll work for you!
Dance like nobody's watching

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 11:23:53 pm »
I'm 6'4", 260# and we bought a D-1 Diplomat.  My wife is only 5'4" and it fits both of us. The corner sportzone seat is deep enough for me.  The neckflex system  adjusts to my height.  I recommend that you look at D-1 models that have these features. Wet test this model and you will see why we bought one.
If I could just chew through these restraints...

estrella

• LA Spa Esteem
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 11:40:43 pm »
Thanks!  I am beginning to think I might drown in the LA tub, however for 3K I might get a booster ;D

Actually, I can't imagine buying one at all without at least testing the D1.  We were looking at the Diplomat but then I read a review of the Chairman II which said that the sequencer was the best part so I will have to check that out.  I'll post back if it makes it worth the extra 1K (4K from the LA) and I would lose a lounger.  We'll see...

Micah

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 11:41:55 pm »
D-1 dosent get the pub that they deserve. Take a good look at the Diplomat and the chairman II. If your looking for a non-lounger look at the Diplomat. My advice is to look into the reflection series. The L.A. isnt in the same class (in my opion) as the D-1
P.S. I think poolandspa.com agrees with me
D-1   5 star spa
L.A.   3 star spa
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: 6'6" - looking for a spa to Fit - ?LA v. D1
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 12:21:34 am »
Micah, I'm just curious what brand you sell for a living? Great posts by the way.

D-1 dosent get the pub that they deserve. Take a good look at the Diplomat and the chairman II. If your looking for a non-lounger look at the Diplomat. My advice is to look into the reflection series. The L.A. isnt in the same class (in my opion) as the D-1
D-1   5 star spa
L.A.   3 star spa

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

tootsie

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 11:38:23 am »
Estrella,  I don't know how much help this will be, but I have an LA Oasis but don't know anybody that's 6'6".  (I'm 5'4" and bf 5'10") The one thing I can say is that the seat levels are at different heights, so the one corner seat is too deep for me the other 4 are not.  The lounge if you sit in it correctly is also too long.

The advice I would give you is to wet test.  You should  be able to find a comfortable seat, without the feel of drowning or having to prop yourself up, while your husband  should also have a seat he is comfortable in.  Granted all the seats won't fit both of you perfectly, if you can get a tub where one or two of the seats do, you'll be ok. (plus no fighting over the favorite seat)

also, if you do a search on star ratings for the last 100 days, you'll find you won't want to use them for comparison purposes.

good luck in your search.  

salesdvl

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 11:43:53 am »
D-1   5 star spa
L.A.   3 star spa

First of all ratings are purchased.  Second of all, where are you looking?  http://poolandspa.com/page149.htm  puts L.A. & D-1 in the same category.
Measure once, cut twice.

salesdvl

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 11:48:00 am »
Thanks!  I am beginning to think I might drown in the LA tub, however for 3K I might get a booster ;D

Actually, I can't imagine buying one at all without at least testing the D1.  We were looking at the Diplomat but then I read a review of the Chairman II which said that the sequencer was the best part so I will have to check that out.  I'll post back if it makes it worth the extra 1K (4K from the LA) and I would lose a lounger.  We'll see...

Estrella,  Did you know that L.A. offers the same exact Dynamic Jet Sequencer as D-1?  It is available in any lounger spa that has the max jet configuration.  I think it is an awesome 5656

Also, if the neck collars are too tight for your tall husband, you can order it without.

In either case, D-1 or L.A. will be good choices for you.  I sold D-1 for a while and consider them to be very well made.  

Let me know if I can help.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 04:11:36 pm by salesdvl »
Measure once, cut twice.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 11:56:36 am »
Estrella,

I am 6'2 and my wife is 5' 10" and we have a Beachcomber 580, we also liked the Beachcomber 750.  The 580 has a couple of seats that should fit someone 6'6" well.   I found the Beachcomber pricing to be similar to HotSprings.  We do not have a Bullforg or Marquis dealer in town.  I almost bought a HotSprings Grande.

Micah

Re: 6'6" - looking for a spa to Fit - ?LA v. D1
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 01:17:45 pm »
Micah, I'm just curious what brand you sell for a living? Great posts by the way.

Jacuzzi is the main line in my stores.
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 08:45:33 pm »
What about the Artesian Island Bimini?

This thing looks more like a swimming pool than a spa.  It's eleven feet long.  

http://www.artesianspas.com/showroom/island/bimini.asp

Artesian Island Grand Cayman

salesdvl

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 10:59:25 am »
The Artesian Bimini is a copy of the L.A. Spas Paradise model.  The guy that designs for Artesian used to work for L.A. Spas.
Measure once, cut twice.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 11:17:55 am »

Doesn't artic offer some deep tubs with variable height seats?
07 Caldera Geneva

anne

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 03:16:11 pm »

Doesn't artic offer some deep tubs with variable height seats?

I had heard the opposite- that often people find arctic too shallow, so they cannot submerse up to their neck. I have the Arctic Summit, and for me and my boyfriend (5'4" and 5'10") it is wonderful, but it would not be a model for really tall people. The tundra might have deeper seats. I think all of their tubs are 38 3/4" tall.
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 03:16:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42