What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemical purchase  (Read 3487 times)

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Chemical purchase
« on: April 04, 2006, 09:50:58 am »
I'm going to be purchasing chemicals shortly....I want to be sure to have stock on-hand instead of running out.
Is there any reason NOT to purchase from places like Wal-Mart or Fleet Farm? Is the quality lower than what Doc sells? Is there a product that's just across the board GOOD quality, regardless of brand?
I don't want to cut quality just to save a couple bucks...
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

Chemical purchase
« on: April 04, 2006, 09:50:58 am »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Chemical purchase
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 09:53:05 am »
I'm going to be purchasing chemicals shortly....I want to be sure to have stock on-hand instead of running out.
Is there any reason NOT to purchase from places like Wal-Mart or Fleet Farm? Is the quality lower than what Doc sells? Is there a product that's just across the board GOOD quality, regardless of brand?

I know that the pool chlorine  that is sold at some of these places at low prices is half inert buffer crapola.   I would read the lables,ingredients very carefuly.
07 Caldera Geneva

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 09:56:42 am »
Try Docs site:

www.rhtubs.com

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 11:54:49 am »
I get my Ph increase and Ph Decrease from Fleet Farm type stores- the ingredients are exactly the same as the stuff you get anywhere else.  
For Alk increaser, I just use baking soda- Sodium Bicarbonate, get it at the grocery store or Sam's club.

Not as sure about dichlor- I just bought a big jug at Fleet Farm- had the same ingredients and effective strength- (55%) as stuff available online.  Paid around $25.  Can't remember the quantity of the chemical, it was at least 5 lbs.   Time will tell on that one, I guess.
Brewman

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 11:27:08 pm »
TL, didn't your dealer throw in a HS starter kit? I recommend supporting your local dealer. It won't cost you very much more and he will give you better support if you need a service call.

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

st18901

• '86 Sovereign!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 02:41:39 am »
Well, considering all the help that Walmart has been on this site -- it's amazing how fast they respond to questions, and their website is incredible when it comes to information about spas -- , I think you should absolutely buy from them. I mean, voting with your dollars is the ultimate sign of approval, right?

;)

Snyper

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 02:45:12 am »
Well, considering all the help that Walmart has been on this site -- it's amazing how fast they respond to questions, and their website is incredible when it comes to information about spas -- , I think you should absolutely buy from them. I mean, voting with your dollars is the ultimate sign of approval, right?

;)

Yep.  ;D

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 08:37:32 am »
TL, didn't your dealer throw in a HS starter kit? I recommend supporting your local dealer. It won't cost you very much more and he will give you better support if you need a service call.

Yep, they threw in the starter chemicals, but if I can buy identical products through, say, Doc's site for a few bucks less each round, then the majority of my business would be through that source. If the products are inferior and cheaper, though, I'll take a pass.
My dealer('s wife) and I have already discussed the pricing and chemical thing. They know that I'm going to buy SOME chemicals through them, and probably my scents....but if there's a price difference of, say, $5 (like on the N2 cartridge) or more if bought bulk, I'll buy from the cheaper source.
Support my dealer? Oh, you BET I do! Word of mouth, baby! When people see the tub, or hear my hubby and I talking about it, or whatever....I believe that I'm more valuable to them as a happy customer willing to talk about our experience at their store than anything.
In this particular situation, we all win.  ;D
RIP C-Rod

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 08:39:07 am »

;)

*lol* yeah, yeah, I know....it was just an open question about the quality of chemicals they and other stores (not specifically spa/pool stores) sell.
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 08:59:40 am »
I buy my chems from my dealer. Thier prices are in line with other dealerships,  but  I am sure that I could find them for a few bucks less if I shopped around. I've thought about going someplace else to save, but my dealer really is on top of supplies.  

I can order over the internet and get free shipping. Every time I have ordered, it's been delivered the next day.  :) S

I can use thier website, call, or just shoot an e-mail to them. They know me,  and my set up.  I get the service I expect.

I also  realize this is a core part of the dealers revenue and I know they appreciate my business, so as long as they provide exceptional service, I am very happy to give them my business and I feel confident that when I have a question or problem, I'm not a stranger to them and usually am made to feel like a king.

If they showed no loyalty to me,  I would do like wise.
07 Caldera Geneva

Anoroc

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 09:15:57 am »
Tattoed Lady- your choice but since you are considering options, Pool Plus Inc. has an online website that I have ordered from.  

Pricese were good and the guy there was great to work with.

As a family we are very frugal so we look for value and service.  Finding the right ballance of the two is tough.  If your dealer is great and helpful and the cost is reasonable than shop there.  If the prices are very high well than...

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 12:26:28 pm »
Don't buy spa chlorine at Walmart ... it's Cal Hypo not dichlor.

I try to be frugal as I can with the chemical purchases for both my pool and tub.

I buy most "spa" stuff from Doc, great prices and service. Other things - PH increaser and Alkalinity increaser (for me it is the same as PH increaser) is baking soda for $0.79 for 2 lbs at the grocery store. PH decreaser - I used white vinegar after reading about it here and it worked. I bought 5 lbs (I think) calcium increaser at Leslies Pool supplies for about $8.00 and it lasts a while.

Possibly IF my dealer was closer and sold chemicals cheaper I would buy from her but I can buy 5 lbs of dichlor from Doc for a little more then she sells 2 lbs of  enhanced shock for ... and I need to use a lot more enhanced shock than dichlor.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 12:31:11 pm »
Don't buy spa chlorine at Walmart ... it's Cal Hypo not dichlor.

Walmart is the Evil Empire. I refuse to go near that place.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 12:31:12 pm »
I agree with Drew.  Get a relationship with your dealer and keep it.  When that pump goes out at 10 below Zero you  want him to respond and if you have that relationship he will.  It will more than make up for the couple of $$ you save from somewhere else

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 12:34:49 pm »
I agree with Drew.  Get a relationship with your dealer and keep it.  When that pump goes out at 10 below Zero you  want him to respond and if you have that relationship he will.  It will more than make up for the couple of $$ you save from somewhere else

Yup. I want to have a good relationship with my dealer.

The key here is,  they are on top of it and have thier act togethor and make it easy for me to spend my money.  If it was a pain, or I got mediocer service, I'd quickly go to cheapeast place. But since they provide quality, exceptioal  service and at a fairly  competitive price, I am thrilled to give them my business.
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 12:34:49 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42