What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Jet Power Uneven  (Read 4572 times)

paul

• New Optima Owner
Jet Power Uneven
« on: April 03, 2006, 02:43:51 am »
I have a Sundance Optima.  It has two big whirlpool jets.  The power from one of these jets has become uneven.  With the diverter set to send all the water to it and the air control all the way on, it properly shoots out water and air at full power for about thirty seconds, but then feels like it loses about 50% of its power for 10-15 seconds at a time.  During the lower power period, I hear a funny noice, kind of like a quiet vacuum cleaner is on.

Any ideas what may be going on and what I can do to fix it?

Hot Tub Forum

Jet Power Uneven
« on: April 03, 2006, 02:43:51 am »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Jet Power Uneven
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 07:17:04 am »
Just a guess but check your water level. If the level is a bit too low, the pump will slowdown because it is not getting enough water returning through the filters. :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 07:53:48 am »
Just a guess but check your water level. If the level is a bit too low, the pump will slowdown because it is not getting enough water returning through the filters. :-/

Very good point.  Although suction for those jets comes from the base of the spa, I believe there is some draw from the filter area.  Those jets draw an awful lot of water and if water level is any bit low, you will feel it through those jets first.  The quiet vaccum cleaner sound my indicate a pump starving for water.

You mention that you divert the water to the jets and open the verturi for those jets (I can't imagine sending air to those jets--there is so much power without it).  Do you have the same issue if you close the venturi?  Does it happen to both jets?  The air is not supplied by a motor or blower so any motor noise would not come from the air induction.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 08:03:26 am »
The diverter valve, if it's like mine (2003 Optima) divides water flow between the whirlpool jets, and the jets in 3 of the seats.  On our spa, that'd be powered by the 2 speed pump, which pulls thru the main filter.  
Your may be different.  What year is the spa?  

As said before, make sure your water level is sufficient.
Also make sure adequate water is getting past your weir gate and to the filters.  If all this checks out, then try removing the filters and running the spa.  If things improve, clean or replace the filters, they may be clogged or just worn out.  Also make sure the sand socks aren't clogged- you can take those off for a trial run, too.
I'm assuming you are not getting a FLO message on your control panel.

If you see this problem when your diverter valve is turned all the way to the whirlpool jets, but not when it's turned all the way to the other setting, then it may not be filter related.  

Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 09:01:57 am »
The diverter valve, if it's like mine (2003 Optima) divides water flow between the whirlpool jets, and the jets in 3 of the seats.  On our spa, that'd be powered by the 2 speed pump, which pulls thru the main filter.  
 Your may be different.  What year is the spa?  

I am assuming it is a 2005 or later spa.  These have the high flow circ pump for filtering.  The therapy pumps are used only for the jets (unlike ours).  The draw is from the intake suctions in the base of the shell.  I believe there is a secondary suction in the filter well from pumps 1 and/or 2 that is meant to draw water to the filter area when the spa is in use.  I believe this is outside of the filter so there is no draw through the filter, just to the filter area.  If there is a low water problem, it will happen here.  I don't know if the new 880 SD spas use filter socks.

If I remove my filter and turn on the whirlpool jets, there will be a whirlpool in my filter well.  Freeflow, it takes all the water you can give it.

paul

• New Optima Owner
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 02:26:45 am »
It so happens that my water level is low, so that must be it.   I didn't realize it evaporates so quickly, even w/ a cover on it 23.5 hours/day.  I will add water right away, and punish my girlfriend, who is supposed to stay on top of such maintenance:  no spa use for her for 5 days!

thanks for the great advice

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 07:12:50 am »
Don't be so hard on her.  It says you are new Optima owners.  Its all part of the learning curve. ;D

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 08:15:26 am »
Don't punish your girlfriend.  It'll just backfire, and you'll be the one to suffer in the long run.  

Brewman

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 08:57:48 am »
That's what happens to me..I get blamed for everything... :-/  Just remember paybacks are hell  ;D

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 08:58:55 am »
well, it depends on the TYPE of punishment, and if they get into that sort of thing I guess......  ::) ;) :-X ;D
RIP C-Rod

paul

• New Optima Owner
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 12:11:38 am »
The punishment will involve spanking.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 08:42:55 am »
 :o :-X
RIP C-Rod

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 08:45:30 am »
Sounds fair to me  ::)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 08:45:30 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42