What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What size pump?  (Read 4101 times)

brizz

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
What size pump?
« on: April 04, 2006, 01:18:07 pm »
I recently purchased a home with a 7-8 person spa. I had a tech come out and he took out a faulty pump, over a week later he still has it and I just want to get it fixed. I plan to replace the pump but do not know what HP I need to get. Any Ideas?

Hot Tub Forum

What size pump?
« on: April 04, 2006, 01:18:07 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: What size pump?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 01:20:20 pm »
I recently purchased a home with a 7-8 person spa. I had a tech come out and he took out a faulty pump, over a week later he still has it and I just want to get it fixed. I plan to replace the pump but do not know what HP I need to get. Any Ideas?

What type of hot tub?

Was this a main pump or did the words "Circulation pump" cross his lips?  

OR you could call the tech and find out what's taking so long and what type of pump it is.
07 Caldera Geneva

brizz

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 01:23:59 pm »
I am not sure of the brand of tub, it is above ground seats 7-8 and it is the main pump that runs the reclined area and the waterfall.

brizz

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 01:25:05 pm »
I assure you the tech has been called, but they are not the brightest

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 01:32:40 pm »
Oh. ok.... Then you need a Blue # 4  pump.
;D

Seriously though,   it's kinda like asking what tires should you put on a car without saying anything else.

If it's a small circ pump, that's one thing.

if it's a larger water pump,  spa's pumps usually range from 2 hp - 5 hp.   Knowing what you are replacing is kind of important.  (Hp, voltage and pipe size and discharge side).

Here's a site that talks about spa pumps, but once again, we need more info before going to far.

http://www.spadepot.com/spacyclopedia/pumps.htm
« Last Edit: April 04, 2006, 01:37:14 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Skellman

• There's more horses asses than there are horses!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 01:46:52 pm »
The hp, voltage, amps etc. should all be listed on the tag that is usually located on the motor itself.
That is, if it's still legible. At least that's my experience with motors/pumps.
Perhaps there are model numbers somewhere on the tub?

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 04:30:24 pm »
If you happen to know the tech's address, tell him to leave the pump on his porch and you'll send somebody to pick it up.

Then jot down all the data before you release it to another tech or service center.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

J._McD

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 05:55:58 pm »
Let's see if we can name that spa.  Give us some clues.  Serial number, name on the control box inside the cabinet, any writing on the topside control,  how about a digital picture, is there only 1 pump that is gone or is there a second or even third pump?   ??? ???

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 09:33:18 pm »
I'm with Chas, but I'd be patient.  
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 08:52:33 am »
without seeing the spa in our friend's yard, they figured it to be a Down East tub.....we opened the panel by the controls, and started taking names....off the parts, that is. When you find the pumps, ozonator, etc....there are normally labels with the part manufacturer's name on them. Go check out your tub, write as many down as you can, and post them....the guys on this board are incredible at figuring goofy stuff like this out. ;)
Good luck!
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 10:23:07 am »
Let's see if we can name that spa.  Give us some clues.  Serial number, name on the control box inside the cabinet, any writing on the topside control,  how about a digital picture, is there only 1 pump that is gone or is there a second or even third pump?   ??? ???

Let's see....broken pump, crappy service, obscure markings, confused customer....I  HAVEN't a clue to what type of spa it could be.   ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 11:54:50 am »
drewstar, only problem with that logic that I can see is the spa came with the home.  ;)
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2006, 11:54:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42