What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Green water  (Read 4173 times)

devilwoman

• Love football, hiking, biking, and photography
Green water
« on: April 03, 2006, 09:10:50 am »
 :o  Due to some cold weather I could not change the water the other day, but today I did, I used Spa Flush Saturday night and dang that was nasty...spend most of yesterday cleaning the tub to get all the crap out of it...I flushed the tub at least 3 times getting each and every jet backwashed for 30sec to get all the crud out.  Pumped all the water and crud out and put in new clean water.  I have the tub filled and turned it on to begin heating it...dang that water is a cold one .  Anyway I have a definate green tint to the water.  I put in Metal Out last night and hopefully by this morning the tub will be less green looking.  I have my doubts cuz it was definately green.  Should I wait to balance the ph and alk until the water gets warmer and the metal gets filtered out?  How about the dichlor...should I add it now or wait until the filters can filter out the greeness? If the green is still there this morning what should I do?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 09:11:32 am by devilwoman »
Dichlor, N2, Ozone and an Artesian Dove Canyon.

Hot Tub Forum

Green water
« on: April 03, 2006, 09:10:50 am »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: Green water
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 09:18:56 am »
When I filled my tub, I forgot to let the water run through the pipes until it was clear....looked like it was peed in (NASTY).....added the minquest per instructions.....let that run through for a few hours, then added some dichlor (2 Tbsp, per my dealer instructions).....within 24 hours the water was almost clear...the dichlor amount he recommended was HIGH....but it was the first ever fill, and meant to sanitize the entire tub. I was then instructed to start working away at the TA.
Timeline for this all was: 6pm fill tub, add minquest. 930pm add dichlor, about 10am start working on the TA (which was off the charts and is still high).
I had SERIOUS doubts that the water would be anything but yellow tinted, but now it's nice and clear, and looks like something I don't mind soaking in. I'd say be patient, let it filter, then hose off your filters to get any excess gunk off them....but that's just my $.02. ;)
RIP C-Rod

devilwoman

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 09:38:20 am »
Tatooed Lady,  

Thanks.  I actually used the miniquest chemicals also as the Metal Out.  I will continue to monitor the water and add some dichlor as soon as it gets light this morning and wash the filters for the next few days.  Man that spa flush really gunked up the tub...I am sure it was taking out the yuckies but man what a mess that was.  

Thanks again appreciate your response!!!

devilwoman

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 12:31:46 pm »
Checked tub this morning when it was light enough.  Still green but not as dark.  Added 2 TB of Dichlor.  So maybe by the end of today or sometime tomorrow it will be clear.  Oh yeah btw it's snowing...geez!!   :-/
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 12:33:52 pm by devilwoman »

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 01:29:37 pm »
the dichlor worked really well in our tub to clear everything up....the ONLY issue was it took time (24+ hours) to drop to useable levels...
Good luck!!
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 01:54:54 pm »
the dichlor worked really well in our tub to clear everything up....the ONLY issue was it took time (24+ hours) to drop to useable levels...
Good luck!!

Yea, but that's not typical.  If you used the correct amount you'd be soaking in a matter of hours, not days.  

I only bring it up as I don't want others to get the wrong idea about dichlor.  A teaspoon per person after soaking, to get the elvesl up to 2-3 ppmm  that's it. Themn, Let it drop to 0. Tha'ts the beauty of it.   You don't need "more" on the first fill up. That's crazy talk.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 01:58:47 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

devilwoman

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 02:01:14 pm »
drewstar...so you should wait until the dichlor is at 0 before you jump in?  Is there a high end you can jump in at?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 02:15:01 pm »
drewstar...so you should wait until the dichlor is at 0 before you jump in?  Is there a high end you can jump in at?

I do not know the highest "Safe level".   I wouldn't get into a tub with it over 5ppm, and with the PH in line, but i could be wrong.  

Anyone know for sure?

But the great thing about the Dichlor is to Sanitize the water AFTER you get out. Get it to 2-3 ppm (take a test about 10 minutes after adding the dichlor to see if you are adding the correct amount). This will effectively sanitize your water.

In a few hours the Chlorine will drift down, and the tub will be clean and sanitized, with no (or very little) residual chlorine left in the water.  I say "0", but there is some redisual chlorine in the water, the test strips I sue though, show "virutally" no chlorine.   8)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 02:18:10 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 02:20:02 pm »
with nasty water though, or other questions (what's come cross country in my tub that I don't want to share the water with?), I don't think a superchlorination will be anything more than being cautious....I don't feel that I really missed out on tubbing, just because I had to wait....it gave me time to make sure I had everything else in line, even though I WAS chomping at the bit...I'm just very certain that nothing made it through. I know regular doses of chlorine can kill a lot off, but...guess I'm just a little weird that way.
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 02:31:43 pm »
with nasty water though, or other questions (what's come cross country in my tub that I don't want to share the water with?), I don't think a superchlorination will be anything more than being cautious....I don't feel that I really missed out on tubbing, just because I had to wait....it gave me time to make sure I had everything else in line, even though I WAS chomping at the bit...I'm just very certain that nothing made it through. I know regular doses of chlorine can kill a lot off, but...guess I'm just a little weird that way.

I thought you did it unintentionaly. You purposely shocked the tub filled with fresh water?  Typically, you sanitize it, as I noted,  but "superchlroination" is  shocking.   Shocking is used to destroy organic material. I mean, yea, you destroyed any bacteria, but  I  don;t understand why you intentionaly shocked on first fill up? Was this a demo tub?

???
07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 03:43:20 pm »
I was told by the dealer to use that buttload of dichlor, so I did. Did I know exactly what would happen as far as time to be able to safely use the tub? No. It wasn't a demo tub, but from what I recall about tub production, they wet test them at the factory. I haven't checked the production date of my tub, but the water could be stagnant by the time it got here. And I somehow doubt they worry much about using fresh water for each tub they produce....maybe it gets filtered at the plant, maybe not. But like I said....I don't mind (now) that I waited the extra hours, because I know the funk's all gone.
Anyhow, I COULD have gone by what users on the forum do....but this is my dealer, and I'll try his ideas first...unless they sound way out there. This is the person that owns the shop that will do the warranty (and non-warranty) work on my tub...they've been in business for 17 years, so I'll trust that they know what they're doing for the most part. ;)
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 03:47:41 pm »
I was told by the dealer to use that buttload of dichlor, so I did. Did I know exactly what would happen as far as time to be able to safely use the tub? No. It wasn't a demo tub, but from what I recall about tub production, they wet test them at the factory. I haven't checked the production date of my tub, but the water could be stagnant by the time it got here. And I somehow doubt they worry much about using fresh water for each tub they produce....maybe it gets filtered at the plant, maybe not. But like I said....I don't mind (now) that I waited the extra hours, because I know the funk's all gone.
Anyhow, I COULD have gone by what users on the forum do....but this is my dealer, and I'll try his ideas first...unless they sound way out there. This is the person that owns the shop that will do the warranty (and non-warranty) work on my tub...they've been in business for 17 years, so I'll trust that they know what they're doing for the most part. ;)

I'm not busting you. I m trying to understand. That's all.

;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 09:47:29 am »
drewstar, I don't think you're trying to bust me....I have a hard time finishing thoughts on a lot of my posts, due to interruptions around here....and if I dont' have time to proofread after I type them, they're very fractured and confusing, even to me...
Sometimes I make sense, sometimes not so much....I blame it partly on my teen years (doing stuff I shouldn't have, to be sure), and partly on a stroke I had in my early 20's.....but that aside,
I've been taking what I've learned on here, and applying it to our tub....but if our dealer recommends something, or swears by it, I'm more likely to try it HIS way first, if it makes sense, just because (see: muriatic acid, and large dose of dichlor)...and I ask questions on here at the same time, just to see how well everything meshes up...
:)
RIP C-Rod

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 10:01:05 am »
That's all fine T-Lady......sooooo, I am curious why a dealer would recomend a shock treatment  on intial fil up?   I am under the impression that sanitizing would be adequate to kill the bacteria, shocking would oxidize any organic matter that had acculmulated from use.

Can any dealers tell me why shock on inital fill up?
07 Caldera Geneva

devilwoman

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 01:42:27 pm »
Good news, the water is definately clearing up.  Still a hint of the green.  Cleaned the filters this morning...they were very brown rusty looking.  Hosed them off they look like new. Put in the N2 stick and plan on taking a my first dip this afternoon and start monitoring the dosing.  So far so good.  Again I appreciate all the help from everyone here at this forum.  I am sure I may have questions as the dosing goes along.  Checked Ph and Alk yesterday.  Ph was 7.6 - 7.8 and Alk was 150.  Ph is high but that is how my Ph has always been...I will check again in an hour or so and see where it is.  I put in some Ph decreaser yesterday.  Let me know if I should be doing something that I'm not.  Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 01:42:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42