What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: water testing survey  (Read 4079 times)

anne

water testing survey
« on: April 03, 2006, 04:56:58 am »
Looking for opinions and hard facts, if they exist:

How do you test your water? (strips, titrating test kit, or dealer)
Do you trust strips for certain levels but not others?
If you use a kit, which one?
If you take your water in to your dealer, is it because you trust those readings more than you can get at home, or because you want not only the measurement, but advice about what to do about it?

Dealers, please chime in. Not looking for only owner opinions!

Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

water testing survey
« on: April 03, 2006, 04:56:58 am »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: water testing survey
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 07:10:05 am »
Looking for opinions and hard facts, if they exist:

How do you test your water? (strips, titrating test kit, or dealer)
Do you trust strips for certain levels but not others?
If you use a kit, which one?
If you take your water in to your dealer, is it because you trust those readings more than you can get at home, or because you want not only the measurement, but advice about what to do about it?

Dealers, please chime in. Not looking for only owner opinions!

I test with a test kit.

I use test strips for a quick free chlorine check only.

I use a Taylor k2005 (from Doc).

I have never taken my water to a dealer.  Not that they don't do it, but I am a believer that you are better off learning to be your own chemist.  I trust my readings more than I would a dealer's.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 07:50:53 am »
I use the strips every couple of weeks to check the ALK and pH and never for Chlorine.  After 3 years my routine is fine for Cl and never check it

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 08:10:44 am »
I gave up on the strips, because I could never get the Ph color figured out.  Very frustrating, and those are kind of expensive.  
I use a simple Walmart liquid test kit ($13).  It reads chlorine, alk, Ph, hardness, and one other test, CYA I think.  But I never got a reading on that test, so I never use it.
I also take my water to a dealer occasionally.  
Their readings seem to parallel mine.  I usually only have them test my tap water.
My tap water is very high in alkalinity, and I have to add a LOT of Ph decreaser to get the alk and Ph readings into range- almost 20 ounces.  The computer printout I get from the dealer suggests the amount of Ph decreaser to use.
And it's suprisingly accurate.  
I test my own water once I get it balanced.  
Brewman

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 08:24:05 am »
My tap water is very high in alkalinity, and I have to add a LOT of Ph decreaser to get the alk and Ph readings into range

brewman, I feel your pain.  :(
RIP C-Rod

Anoroc

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 09:52:14 am »
I use aqua chek test strips.  Seems to work fine but I have no experience with Taylor test kits.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 10:19:31 am »
I use strips about once a week.

Water is great.

8)
07 Caldera Geneva

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 11:48:14 am »

I test with a test kit.

I use test strips for a quick free chlorine check only.

I use a Taylor k2005 (from Doc).

I have never taken my water to a dealer.  Not that they don't do it, but I am a believer that you are better off learning to be your own chemist.  I trust my readings more than I would a dealer's.

Exactly what tony said except I use the Taylor kit exclusively except for TDS which the Taylor does not cover.  For the rare occasion that I check TDS, I use strips.

The booklet that comes with the Taylor kit is, IMO, the best commercially available water chemistry guide.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 11:54:18 am »
I gave up on the strips, because I could never get the Ph color figured out.  Very frustrating, and those are kind of expensive.  
 I use a simple Walmart liquid test kit ($13).  It reads chlorine, alk, Ph, hardness, and one other test, CYA I think.  But I never got a reading on that test, so I never use it.  

Same here - If it is the same test kit, it is from HTH (Arch Chemicals) in a blue box.  This year's price, here in OH is $14.  Its been all I have needed for 3 years now.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

hymbaw

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 12:01:34 pm »
I'm a big fan of  the Bioguard 1200v test kit. It uses the same tablets and reagents that your Bioguard dealer uses in their labs.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 12:27:46 pm »
I use a kit that is made by Poolmaster.  Same kit I use for my pool. Pool 325 gallons , pool 20,000 gallons but same kit. I test once a week.  Took my water to the dealer and got different Alk reading than i did.  I trust mine. I've had a pool for almost 20 years.
If I could just chew through these restraints...

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 01:55:22 pm »

Same here - If it is the same test kit, it is from HTH (Arch Chemicals) in a blue box.  This year's price, here in OH is $14.  Its been all I have needed for 3 years now.

Pretty sure that's the one.
Brewman

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 02:01:53 pm »
I considered getting the Taylor k2005 kit but ended up with the Bioguard 1200v as it was a little less expensive, available locally about a mile from my house and has replacement reagents available as needed also. So far I find it superior to the aquacheck test strips especially for figuring out pH which also had a hard time reading on the test strips.

I do still use the test strips if I am doing a quick check of chlorine levels after letting the dichlor mix for 15 minutes after use. But it has been pretty consistent so far so I don't know if I will get more when the included ones I got at time of delivery run out.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Tubaholic

• HS Grandee Indoors
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 10:59:21 pm »
I also test with the taylor kit  but being that my dealer is 15 min away and I go by it all the time I take a sample in about 2 times a month just to document my levels are good. This way should I ever have a problem with my tub I have the documentation  needed that I have taken good care of it.  Also I buy my chemicals when I am there.

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 11:50:57 pm »
Test strips work for me and take a sample to the dealer where I buy chems about once per month. The strips are pretty close to what the dealers computer says

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 11:50:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42