What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: cover and cover lifter  (Read 4033 times)

anne

cover and cover lifter
« on: March 29, 2006, 11:57:02 pm »
I think I saw a thread with sort of this topic recently, but now I have my tub, and I'm concerned:

I have an Arctic 8' tub, so the cover is pretty heavy. That is fine, and I can manage it, but my dealer provided my a covermate I. At the time I had not clue what lifters were what, and I was not interested in paying more for a hydraulic lift as I figured it was just something that could break, and simple is often better.

Problem: When lifting the whole cover upward, if I hold it on the side where the handle is, the lifter bows, and it REALLY feels like something will break- either the lifter, or the brackets are going to tear off the skirt. I can do it evenly by lifting the first 1/2, then getting in and lifting in from the center, but that is a PAIN.

Im wondering if I should have been suggested a beefier lifter for this type of cover. My dealer said nothing about the different strength of lifters, so maybe it is not a problem, but it seems like it could become one over time. When i wet tested, it had no lifter, so I did not have a chance to see what it was like. If the cedar skirt or the cover gets damaged, I wont be happy.
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

cover and cover lifter
« on: March 29, 2006, 11:57:02 pm »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: cover and cover lifter
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 01:32:16 am »
I hate to say it Anne, but the covermate I is a pretty weak lifter. Use it until it breaks and get a better one next time.  :)
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 06:58:45 am »
My Covermate I does the same thing(bowing), but it is almost four years old now.  It is getting near time to replace it and I will do so with the same one.  As weak as it is (and there isn't much to it), I like the simplicity and the ease of use.  And its relatively inexpensive to replace.  Keep an eye on any moving parts.  Nuts, bolts, etc need to be tightened every so often.  I lift the cover off from one side and don't have to get in.  After I fold the cover over I lift the cover and lifter together rather than just grabbing the lifter.

There are special brackets for use on Sundance Spas that give the lifter good bearing so I never feel there is undue stress on the skirt.  I don't know how it attaches to your spa, but the brackets should be screwed into solid framework underneath.

I agree with Gomboman.  Use it until it breaks then get something else if you like.

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 08:17:51 am »
The problem with cover lifters in general is that the weight of the cover is transferred to the center hinge.  Typically this is made of the same material as the cover and it is stitched together. After a while the weight of the cover resting on the cross bar of the lifter may cause the hinge to fail.

A Cover Saver is a device that transfers the weight from the hinge to two plastic "T" shaped pieces suspended from the cross bar.  The hinge never comes in contact with anything and bears no weight.  Instad the weight of the cover is resting on its bottom edge on the plastic pieces.

I have an 8 ft J385 with a Covermate I and a Cover Saver and it works like a charm everytime.

The twisting is natural.  If you stand on one end on lift it, the other end will be a little lower until the weight transfers more towards vertical.  No big deal.

However, I removed the sides of my tub and installed 2 x 10 cross pieces to the frame behind the area where the lifter is attached.  This way the lifter screws and not just into the side pieces but go thru into the 2 x 10.  I'm figuring this will save my side pieces, as well as the lifter.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 09:02:36 am »
The problem with cover lifters in general is that the weight of the cover is transferred to the center hinge.  Typically this is made of the same material as the cover and it is stitched together. After a while the weight of the cover resting on the cross bar of the lifter may cause the hinge to fail.

A Cover Saver is a device that transfers the weight from the hinge to two plastic "T" shaped pieces suspended from the cross bar.  The hinge never comes in contact with anything and bears no weight.  Instad the weight of the cover is resting on its bottom edge on the plastic pieces.

I have an 8 ft J385 with a Covermate I and a Cover Saver and it works like a charm everytime.

The twisting is natural.  If you stand on one end on lift it, the other end will be a little lower until the weight transfers more towards vertical.  No big deal.

However, I removed the sides of my tub and installed 2 x 10 cross pieces to the frame behind the area where the lifter is attached.  This way the lifter screws and not just into the side pieces but go thru into the 2 x 10.  I'm figuring this will save my side pieces, as well as the lifter.

Doc has the cover saver, and some pics that show what Snowbird is talking about,

for you clicking pleasure: http://www.rhtubs.com/store/cover-saver.htm
07 Caldera Geneva

anne

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 10:05:38 am »
I have seen the cover saver, and I understand how it takes stress off of the seam of the cover, but I dont see how that reduces the bowing issue or the stress on the skirt of the tub. My lifter came with special brackets for Arctic, but it still seems questionable. I ASSUME there is solid frame in there the screws are hitting, but the screws arent that long.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 10:06:48 am by anne »
Dance like nobody's watching

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 10:49:31 am »
Anne, while looking for tubs I saw what you have described. When I bought my tub, I ask very pointed questions about this subject. The dealer said "we supply this lift but you can get an upgraded one but it will cost more". A lot of tubs are sold Anne with entry level accessories. This is done to keep the cost down, for fear of losing a sale. My wife has a weak back and cannot lift a lot. I ask for a lifter that takes all the pressure off lifting. And I pointed out that mounts to the frame and NOT the siding like so many do. I have a covermate III. And is made for my make of tub.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 10:51:34 am by galen »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 01:28:46 pm »
anne, if you haven't had it long, call your dealer, ask if you can get one that's a more comfortable fit for you and your tub...maybe you can exchange and pay a little extra for an upgrade.....let the dealer know WHY you're concerned, and go from there......
you don't ask, they won't offer....
RIP C-Rod

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 01:58:14 pm »
anne, i have the same as you right now.  I am coming up to a year.  I think you have new buyers fear.  When the tub was brand new, I was so careful with everything and always worried that something would break.  The bottom line, is that it is not the best one but it is still pretty good.  Yeah you get some bowing, but just think, when you spend 10k on a tub, you get a pretty nice warranty with it as well.  If something happens with the tub due to stuff that they gave you, your covered.  Once you start changing things around you may have a harder time down the road.

It was free, and like someone else said, use it until it breaks.  Why spend money that you dont really need to right now.  stock up on some chemicals instead.  

I remember last year when I first took delivery, I ordered every chemical, every aroma therapy, floating checker board, pillows, waterproof cards etc etc etc. Oh yeah, and I fell victim to the rubber duckies why why why.

Now I dont use any of it.  want some free stuff?????

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 01:59:28 pm »

Problem: When lifting the whole cover upward, if I hold it on the side where the handle is, the lifter bows, and it REALLY feels like something will break- either the lifter, or the brackets are going to tear off the skirt. I can do it evenly by lifting the first 1/2, then getting in and lifting in from the center, but that is a PAIN.

I don't like the CV-I for spas that are more than mid-sized for the very reasons you stated. I very much like the CM-III in such a case as it is much sturdier and has the shocks you speak of but the only thing with that one is the cover sits very high which people very much like or very much dislike depending on the situation. If you like it, maybe your dealer would switch it out for the cost difference since you've been such a good customer.  ;D
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 02:25:03 pm »
A simple way to take some stress off and actually make it easier to lift is if you enter your spa from the front and middle as most do......than just fold back the cover and than finish the lift when your in the spa again from the middle less stress on the cover, the lift and yourself..... :D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 02:29:44 pm »
A simple way to take some stress off and actually make it easier to lift is if you enter your spa from the front and middle as most do......than just fold back the cover and than finish the lift when your in the spa again from the middle less stress on the cover, the lift and yourself..... :D

That's what I do with my CM1  flip half the cover up, then once in the tub lift it up from the middle.  OTherwise,  the CM1 will twist out.
07 Caldera Geneva

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2006, 02:40:38 pm »

That's what I do with my CM1  flip half the cover up, then once in the tub lift it up from the middle.  OTherwise,  the CM1 will twist out.

and that's what I tell people as well but I personally prefer the type where I can open it from outside the tub. I think it's imprtant for customers to see their different lifter options in the showroom so they can decide for themselves. I've seen many people demo the lifters and you can see the look in their eyes when they try the CM-I on a large spa as they often quickly go for the sturdier model even though it costs more. It's less of an issue for someone with a good seize reach but with a less-than-tall wife who doesn't exactly pack on the pounds and 3 kids, I know they'd have trouble dealing with the CM-I on a large spa.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 02:50:59 pm »

Doc has the cover saver, and some pics that show what Snowbird is talking about,

for you clicking pleasure: http://www.rhtubs.com/store/cover-saver.htm

One caution about the CoverSaver.......My spa is in full sun during the day, all day.  The CoverSaver webbing does not hold up under full sun.  After the first failed in about a year, I received a second, made sure to treat it with 303 but it also failed....in about 8 months.  If your spa does not experience this much sun, I believe it does serve well and is a good idea.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 02:55:48 pm »
Anne,  when it gets time to order a new cover, you may want to look at the three sectioned cover. It is easier to handle and when adding chemicals you only need to open the little section instead of flipping over half the cover.  I posted pictures of this somewhere on this forum back a couple of weeks ago.  With the covermate III. It also folds flat against the tub if you mow close to the tub which I do.  I don't know how to place a link in a post but it had something to do with my install of the tub.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 02:55:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42