What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Filter brands for tub.  (Read 6240 times)

im45us

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Filter brands for tub.
« on: March 30, 2006, 06:58:59 am »
I have a 1992 hot springs Prodigy tub and would like to buy some new filters and I am not sure on which brand is better so looking for some recommendations.

Is H.S. brand better than Unicel or Clarathon or some other brand?

Thanks Ivan

Hot Tub Forum

Filter brands for tub.
« on: March 30, 2006, 06:58:59 am »

NE-Phil

• Marquis Reward '05
Re: Filter brands for tub.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 10:07:03 am »
I've wondered the same thing myself. Unicel, Pleatco, Filbur, Great Barrier, etc.? Are they pretty much the same or are there any real differences between them? ???

Phil
Not a mountain lake? Then it's still a chemical soup!

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 10:55:23 am »
Get the Tri-X filters from your HotSpring dealer.  They should fit. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

hymbaw

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 11:18:50 am »
Term,
I am soooo disappointed in you, my friend!!! I don't even sell them and I know that Tri  X filters arer ONLY reccomended for HS spas 2003 and newer!!!!

im45us,
I've found that Unicel filters tend to last a bit longer than the Filbur brand filters, for what it's worth.
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

Cruiser

• I love Ya Dabba Dabba Do
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 11:39:38 am »
Actually, the Tri-X filter fit any Hot Spring that uses the 30 sf filters.  Just make sure you're not using Baqua Spa or Soft Soak as they plug them.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 01:20:28 pm »
regarding Tri-X filters.....I thought they were the same size as the other ones, just allowed a higher volume of water to flow through?
If that's the case, they'd fit like the other brands, just wouldn't restrict water flow as much.....right?
RIP C-Rod

Cruiser

• I love Ya Dabba Dabba Do
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 07:48:04 pm »
They are the same dimension as the 30sf filter.  They just use a different material that increases the filtration area to 65sf.  Or what Hot Spring calls a 3 dimensional filter.

im45us

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 11:00:19 am »
Thanks for the replies . The problem with the Tri-x filters is around 65 dollars each compaired to around 30 for regular filters. That's fine for a newer spa but my tub is 13 years old so not sure it's worth it at this point.

salesdvl

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 12:04:38 pm »
I have a 1992 hot springs Prodigy tub and would like to buy some new filters and I am not sure on which brand is better so looking for some recommendations.

Is H.S. brand better than Unicel or Clarathon or some other brand?

Thanks Ivan

Hot Spring does not manufacture their own filters.  They have them made and private labeled.  Same with their "WaveMaster" pumps, silver purifiers etc...   When you order enough quantity from a supplier, you can have any label put on that you want.  They store I used to work at did it all the time.  It creates a brand loyalty that cannot be cross shopped.  Therefore, depending on the contract "term" ( no pun intended  ;) )  they could be made by unicel or pleatco or whomever.

And before the group piles on... I am not slamming anyone.  It is a good business thing to do.  EVERYONE does it.  Some are just better at marketing it than others.
Measure once, cut twice.

J._McD

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 01:25:32 pm »
The obvious difference between filters is the material that is used to "filter" the water.  Many use a "remay" material and use a different thickness, 3oz. vs. 6oz. material, while still others may choose to use a "proprietary material to create an "exclusive lock" on the replacement filters and are free to price them as they wish or for what the traffic will bear.

There are certain things that will clog filter media previously mentioned that will shorten the life of the filter, subsequently requiring replacement filters while other filters are easily cleaned and should last a few years.  Filters that use "inner layers" are difficult to clean internally between those layers, thus requiring eventual replacement.

We are now in the age of a disposable society and some dispose of their "cleanable" filters and some manufacturers are now going to "disposable" filters.  Special filters allow the manufacturer / Dealer to put a lock on the proprietary filters.

There is definitly a difference between a "good filter (i.e. Unicel) and a less costly filter (i.e. Pleatco) and will be realized in the lenght of "life cycle" before replacement is needed.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 12:32:07 am »
Your standard Hot Spring, Pleatco, Unicel, etc. filters all use the same Reemay material.

Our customers typically seem satisified with all of them.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 12:32:07 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42