What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Lowering TA and pH  (Read 3320 times)

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Lowering TA and pH
« on: March 31, 2006, 04:52:43 pm »
Okay.....my question is as follows:
I've got high TA (reads off the chart), and am working on lowering that with muriatic acid....from what the dealer says, this should also bring my pH down (which is 8.4) and SHOULD bring them both close to their proper levels with just the addition of the one product...I've been browsing products and see that the pH decreaser is also supposed to drag the TA down...is that just something to use when everything's in the ballpark, and the pH just needs a little yankin'? I'm not terribly hot on the idea of using a straight liquid acid in my tub, I'd rather use a powdered product....but I'll use this til it's gone, I guess...
and yes, I know that TA needs to be adjusted first thing, which is why, I suppose I don't use the pH down right away....
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

Lowering TA and pH
« on: March 31, 2006, 04:52:43 pm »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
Re: Lowering TA and pH
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 10:46:30 pm »
Are you using liquid muriatic acid? The dry PH/AlK down in your HS kit should do the trick. It will make them both go down.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 08:14:25 am »
Both muriatic acid and dry acid (pH down) will do the same job.  Most people use dry acid over muriatic because it is much easier to handle.  Others prefer muriatic to make large changes while using dry acid to make smaller adjustments.  Either way, both do exactly the same job.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 08:41:11 am »
yep, using the liquid acid right now.....and I'm trying to be VERY careful while I use it!!!  So far though, I've used 1 cup of it, and haven't seen a difference in the TA...last time I added was yesterday early afternoon....guess I'll soak this morning, then try adding some more.....this DOES, however, make me wonder how long it'll take.....
Just so I get this straight, though.. the "spaclear pH decrease" is the same stuff, only dry form? So it's also good for LARGE TA changes? I want to be sure before I start adding too much "stuff" to the tub, so I don't have to add MORE chemicals just to re-do this...
RIP C-Rod

orlandoguy

• all you need is tub
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 09:28:59 am »
I screwed up on my last fill and overdid the baking soda by a ton.  After adding nearly a bottle of ph down and shocking, it came down after a few days and hasn't fluctuated much in about 2 months.

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 11:01:08 am »
okay.....after soaking and rereading....I'm going to take windsurfdog's advice and try the pH decreaser....see if that lowers the TA....
This gets very confusing to me....but I'll try it and let you know how it works, thanks!
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 11:01:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42