What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: How often do you shock?  (Read 10662 times)

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
How often do you shock?
« on: March 27, 2006, 11:33:58 pm »
First of all, I'm a dichlor user. I basically follow Vermonter's method in conjunction with ozone and N2. In the past, I would shock weekly whether or not I needed to. My normal shock dose is about 7 times my daily routine. That works out to a little more than 2 Tablespoons of dichlor.

After two weeks of use my combined chlorine levels are still very low--less than 0.5 ppm. My Taylor test kit only reads in 0.5 ppm increments so I know I'm below this level. The Taylor Water Chemistry guide suggests that some people are sensitive to levels around 0.2 ppm. Since I can't read to this resolution I'm not sure if I'm beyond 0.2 ppm. I don't smell any chlorine and there's no eye irritation etc. Maybe I should buy a Kit that reads in 0.1 ppm increments.

Anyway, I'm thinking I don't need to shock every week anymore. How often do you shock and what method do you follow?
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Hot Tub Forum

How often do you shock?
« on: March 27, 2006, 11:33:58 pm »

Snyper

Re: How often do you shock?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 12:45:06 am »
I shock several times a week.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 07:33:04 am »
I put in 2 tsp dichlor after each soak.  If I don't use it for a few days I'll add an additional 2 tsp every 2-3 days.  I'll shock every 7- 10 days depending on usage @ 1-1.5 oz dichlor.  (3 oz dixie cup 1/3 - 1/2 ful).  I check the pH and Alk every 2 weeks or so but for the first 2-21/2 months I rarely need to adjust these.   Once in a while for kicks I'll add a little MPS but mainly because I have some around....Oh and I use N2 and ozone

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 07:55:50 am »
 I'll shock every 7- 10 days depending on usage @ 1-1.5 oz dichlor.  (3 oz dixie cup 1/3 - 1/2 ful).

I like that unit of measurement! I've got those 3 ounce cups in my bathroom, and hadn't even considered their possibilities for measuring chemicals...
RIP C-Rod

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 08:10:37 am »
I shock once a week to 10 days.  Like you, I have ozone and mineral filters and really see no need to shock more often unless a party breaks out...... :D
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

devilwoman

• Love football, hiking, biking, and photography
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 08:38:23 am »
I shock once a week to 10 days.  Like you, I have ozone and mineral filters and really see no need to shock more often unless a party breaks out...... :D

How do you know when to shock...is there a chlorine reading that indicates when you should shock, or do you just shock regardless every 7-10 days.  
Dichlor, N2, Ozone and an Artesian Dove Canyon.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 08:53:48 am »
I'm on a similliar routine with my 350 gal tub. I'm a dichlor and ozone user, but have stoped with the N2 stick.

I santize with about 1/2 tspoon of dichlor  per bather after each use.  The tub is used about 3 time a week.

I was shocking with Renew every week. However I've backed that off to about every 10-14 days without any negative effects.

The only issue/question I have is Shocking is supposed to free up the chlorine, yet after shocking I never see a raise in Chlorine levels in my pool.   Should I ?

My water is clear and smells fresh.  I've still running the same water from the end of Nov and it looks pretty damn good.  PH and AL always test within range,  and as mentioned, after each uses I get my Cl levels up to about 2-3 ppm.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 08:56:51 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 10:44:06 am »
I shock every 7-10 days regardless.  If you try to extend it further you'll get into problems.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 11:07:20 am »
I shock only when I need to.  Like you, as a dichlor user I should shock when the combined chlorine levels reach .2 ppm.  What I do is check for total chlorine when my free chlorine level is zero.  I also use a Taylor kit.  If total chlorine shows any color, I know I need to shock.  If it shows zero (no color), same as free chlorine, then I know there is no combined chlorine.  Sometimes I don't have to shock for two weeks, sometimes more often.  I shock with MPS.

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 11:14:29 am »
I shock every 10 -14 days depending on our use, normal use is 2 people 2-4 times per week and we add 1tsp per person after each soak. I use dichlor ozone and n2

windsurfdog

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 03:34:57 pm »

How do you know when to shock...is there a chlorine reading that indicates when you should shock, or do you just shock regardless every 7-10 days.  

Following tony's post, checking the combined chlorine readings when the free chlorine is zero is a good method but every 7-10 days is a good rule of thumb.  Of course if the tub gets less use, the 10-14 day period is certainly appropriate.

And drewstar said:
The only issue/question I have is Shocking is supposed to free up the chlorine, yet after shocking I never see a raise in Chlorine levels in my pool.   Should I ?

No, the combined chlorine isn't freed-up....it is oxidized along with other organics.  I think you might be mistaking a dichlor tub shock with a bromine tub shock which does free up bromides.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 03:37:40 pm »
Following tony's post, checking the combined chlorine readings when the free chlorine is zero is a good method but every 7-10 days is a good rule of thumb.  Of course if the tub gets less use, the 10-14 day period is certainly appropriate.

And drewstar said:
No, the combined chlorine isn't freed-up....it is oxidized along with other organics.  I think you might be mistaking a dichlor tub shock with a bromine tub shock which does free up bromides.

Good info. What would you consider light use? What would you consider heavy use?
07 Caldera Geneva

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 03:38:16 pm »
I shock several times a week.

Why?
07 Caldera Geneva

windsurfdog

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 03:42:38 pm »

Good info. What would you consider light use? What would you consider heavy use?

I'd say any tub that is used at least once a day would be heavy use.  Any tub only used once or twice a week would be light use.  Sound reasonable?

Of course, there's always the drunken, toe sucking parties....DEFINITELY heavy use! ::)

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 04:21:27 pm »

I'll give my experience.  If I alone use the spa daily (relatively clean person..don't like to use suits), I can generally go two weeks between shocks.  If four teens are using the spa two to three times a week, I'm lucky to get a week.

Average use is probably two people, three times per week.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 04:21:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42