What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: alk  (Read 2477 times)

anne

alk
« on: March 28, 2006, 03:11:35 pm »
Is there a rough amount of baking soda per 100 gal of H2O to add to increase alkalinity a certain amount? My Alk is 40 (filled it 2 days ago, and it has not changed) and I have 390 gal of water.

Is baking soda ok? The pH was also low, but my plan was to get ALK in line first, then play with pH. The baking soday may do both jobs, yes?

thanks!
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

alk
« on: March 28, 2006, 03:11:35 pm »

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
Re: alk
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 03:16:02 pm »
anne, try this page on Doc's site.....there's a box to plug #s in....
http://www.rhtubs.com/info/water.htm
RIP C-Rod

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 03:25:00 pm »
Is there a rough amount of baking soda per 100 gal of H2O to add to increase alkalinity a certain amount? My Alk is 40 (filled it 2 days ago, and it has not changed) and I have 390 gal of water.

Check out the "Raising Total Alkalinity" calculator here: Water Balance Calculators
According to this and your current TA and tub capacity, looks like about 3 oz. (6 tbsp) of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) will raise TA up to 80 or so.  It will raise pH also but not much.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 03:25:51 pm »
anne, try this page on Doc's site.....there's a box to plug #s in....
http://www.rhtubs.com/info/water.htm

Great minds think alike....... ;)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 05:46:06 pm »
Great minds think alike....... ;)

Wow....and to think that just last week I was only a MEDIOCRE mind!!  Thanks!  ;D ;)
RIP C-Rod

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 08:50:02 pm »
My water comes out of the tap with a PH of 6.8 and a low alk. What happens for me is I raise the PH to the desired level (usually 7.6) and the alk follows along. I have looked at alk after adjusting PH and it's around 130.

My PH drifts down slowly over 3 to 5 weeks and I adjust it again. As I have said in the past I really don't worry about alk and this is the reason why.

anne

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 09:24:44 pm »
My water comes out of the tap with a PH of 6.8 and a low alk. What happens for me is I raise the PH to the desired level (usually 7.6) and the alk follows along. I have looked at alk after adjusting PH and it's around 130.

Vinny- that is almost exactly what my tap water is, apparently. I'll try adding some baking soda, then recheck levels tomorrow, then add more spa up if still needed. Reasonable? (didn't I recently hear someone say not to take water chem advice from you? ;))

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 09:47:24 pm »
anne are you on bromine or dichlor?   perfect balance by arctic is really good stuff.  I use about 2 capfuls of it a week during heavy use.  

anne

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 09:52:12 pm »
I'm trying chlorine to start. Most of the tubs I wet tested were bromine, and I was itchy. So far, in my 48 hrs of spa ownership, I have no itch w/ chlorine. Plan to add N2, perhaps. Ozonator not installed yet- hopefully soon.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 09:52:12 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42