What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: A couple of questions on MPS & ozone  (Read 2318 times)

taz

A couple of questions on MPS & ozone
« on: March 28, 2006, 03:34:27 pm »
I've been reviewing previous posts concerning MPS sensitivity, rashes, etc... I'm afraid I must be one of those sensitive skin types because I'm continuously fighting itchiness, rashes, etc. I do tend to use the tub every night for 30-40 min in the cooler months, which probably accounts for some of my skin problems.  However, due to some poor advise from my initial dealer, I also think that I may suffer from MPS sensitivity.  This now defunct dealer initially had me on a MPS only regime (no dichlor, bromine or even ozone).  When the water started going downhill his solution was to through more MPS at it... to the point where I'm pretty sure it lead to some of my skin problems and a sensitivity to the MPS.

Now I am using the floating frog bromine & mineral combo w/ a MPS shock every 7-10 days. My question is whether I can switch from MPS shock to a dichlor shock treatment to avoid the reaction to MPS.  I've moved to a new area and the local dealer was pretty adament about not mixing bromine & dichlor.  Yet I've read some posts here that seem to indicate that you can.  Does anyone here use the same frog bromine/mineral combo w/ dichlor shock instead of MPS?  

Second question for the dealers... I have a sunzone CD system that doesn't seem to be working (the little sun indicator on the control panel does not come on).  But the system is still pulling in air and injecting it into the water (lots of tiny bubbles).  Is this a problem?  It doesn't seem to have had any effect on my water yet.  

This sunzone system only lasted about a year - when the indicator went off I inspected the system and found the tubing clogged with white stuff and the nozzle so brittle it literally disintegrated at the touch... could the clogged tubing have burnt out the CD unit?  Any ideas on what caused the white stuff to clog the tubes? Was it installed incorrectly?  Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

A couple of questions on MPS & ozone
« on: March 28, 2006, 03:34:27 pm »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: A couple of questions on MPS & ozone
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 04:15:27 pm »
Since MPS isn't a sanitizer, and doesn't kill bacteria, I'd be inclined to think that rather than a sensitivity to MPS you had a bacterial infection.

there's NO reason not to use chlorine as a shock with bromine. Though, your dealer will make about 18 times more money if you use MPS (it takes 9 times the MPS to hae the same oxidizing ability of chlorine, and MPS is about twice the cost per pound).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 04:17:36 pm by lets »
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 04:21:37 pm »
I was always under the impression tha mps is a much stronger oxidizer than chlorine, hence why it is used as a shock.  

Actually, I just remembered that it is easier to burn up combined chlorine with mps rather than excessive amounts of dichlor.   Maybe that is what I was thinking of.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 04:28:09 pm by SerjicalStrike »

taz

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 04:31:56 pm »
Thanks, Doc. I definitely had some follucitis (sp?) from the early water problems, but that was over 2 years ago. Since going to the bromine float I've just battled the itchiness and dry skin. But it seems to be worse the days following a shock w/ MPS, so I think that I over exposed myself to MPS in those initial months. I've read that it takes less and less MPS to iritate your skin if you've developed a sensitivity to it.

I will definitely switch to dichlor and see if it helps.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 04:55:10 pm »
so I think that I over exposed myself to MPS in those initial months. I've read that it takes less and less MPS to iritate your skin if you've developed a sensitivity to it.

I will definitely switch to dichlor and see if it helps.

This tends to be te case with anything someone developes a sensitivity to.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 05:00:16 pm »
I was always under the impression tha mps is a much stronger oxidizer than chlorine, hence why it is used as a shock.  

it takes 9 times the MPS to have the same oxidizing ability of chlorie.

Actually, I just remembered that it is easier to burn up combined chlorine with mps rather than excessive amounts of dichlor.   Maybe that is what I was thinking of.

If you're ONLY talking about shocking for combined chlorine this is true since many people tend to NOT use ENOUGH chlorine, and wind up creating yet more combined chlorines.

Shocking though is to also burn up any other dead organic debris, and 1 TBS of chlorine will have he same effect as 9 TBS of MPS. MPS will though alow you to get ack into the water very quickly (15 minutes) but tends to add significant amounts to the TDS levels (of course dichlor adds to the CYA levels).

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 05:00:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42