What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Over-Shock?  (Read 7566 times)

Snyper

Over-Shock?
« on: March 25, 2006, 02:30:42 am »
Simple question.... Can you over-shock your spa?

I read where you should shock every 7-10 days based on bather use/etc.

I also see that you should use 1 oz of shock per 100 gallons of water - Is this correct?

I am talking bromine shock.

Any ideas?

Hot Tub Forum

Over-Shock?
« on: March 25, 2006, 02:30:42 am »

MarKee

Re: Over-Shock?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 02:56:02 am »
You can't really over-shock.  I would definitely use too much rather than too little.  If you're using it daily I would shock twice a week.  Use 5 oz. for the Epic.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 01:33:47 pm »
Snyper...I hesitate to say this but I am 3 1/2 weeks and going and still my water is beautiful.  I think I told you that my plan now is to test and shock before I  adjust my bromine cartridge. If we all jump in (2 kids, 2 adults), I may hit the tub with a tablespoon of shock when we get out and the tub goes into a clean cycle. This is in a ddition to shocking when I see the bromine level dip or drop completely.  This method is very un-scientific, but so far it is working. My bromine levels are low AND I still have bromine in my cartridge after 3 1/2 weeks.   Markee, I have another bromine frog cartridge question for you ...My spa monitor and the control panel are saying rsa to check my sanitizer. I did and there is still plenty of bromine in the container (when I shake, it comes out), so do I continue to ignore the reminder until I put in a new cartridge or do I reset now even though I still have bromine? When I reset the reminder will it remind me again in 3 weeks from the date that I reset it..or is that in some sort of internal memory that will again remind me 3 weeks based on the first cartridge that I put in? I hope you can understand that question....Or if I am finding that my cartridges now last longer because I am shocking more often, can I change the sanitizer reminder to 4 weeks instead of 3? If the new cartridges last longer, won't we have to do that anyway?  
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 01:35:30 pm by Bonibelle »
Support your dealer so they can support you!

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 01:53:02 pm »
I'm not sure if you are talking about overshocking in terms of too much or too often.   Then the danger you are referring to in terms of health or spa condition.

Shocking with dichlor can raise levels to cause problems if you get right in.   Can it cause equipment problems? I casn't answer.  MPS adds to your TSD, while effective it could cause you to change your water more often.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Snyper

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 12:17:54 pm »
Snyper...I hesitate to say this but I am 3 1/2 weeks and going and still my water is beautiful.  I think I told you that my plan now is to test and shock before I  adjust my bromine cartridge. If we all jump in (2 kids, 2 adults), I may hit the tub with a tablespoon of shock when we get out and the tub goes into a clean cycle. This is in a ddition to shocking when I see the bromine level dip or drop completely.  This method is very un-scientific, but so far it is working. My bromine levels are low AND I still have bromine in my cartridge after 3 1/2 weeks.   Markee, I have another bromine frog cartridge question for you ...My spa monitor and the control panel are saying rsa to check my sanitizer. I did and there is still plenty of bromine in the container (when I shake, it comes out), so do I continue to ignore the reminder until I put in a new cartridge or do I reset now even though I still have bromine? When I reset the reminder will it remind me again in 3 weeks from the date that I reset it..or is that in some sort of internal memory that will again remind me 3 weeks based on the first cartridge that I put in? I hope you can understand that question....Or if I am finding that my cartridges now last longer because I am shocking more often, can I change the sanitizer reminder to 4 weeks instead of 3? If the new cartridges last longer, won't we have to do that anyway?  

Good for you! I am glad to see your program working, I'll give it a shot.

I ended up adding some shock several times and now my water is in perfect condition. I guess I wasn't shocking enough?

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 12:25:16 pm »
I really think that the ticket is to cater the whole process to how you use the tub. I just found that by shocking I was able to better regulate the bromine.
Since my refill and initial adjustments I have only added ph down once and alkalinity up once so I feel pretty good at this point.  I also feel better about the whole bromine thing because I am able to keep the levels low enough that we don't really even detect a chemical odor.
Hang in there, I think the advice  (I believe it was Chas) gave about dumping when you feel you can't manage it with minimal chemicals was the best for me.
I will probably dump and refill every 2-3 months because I love the feel of the new water and the easier balancing act!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 12:25:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42