What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wet test  (Read 5963 times)

mcrofutt

Wet test
« on: March 24, 2006, 03:32:43 pm »
I am a pre-newbie. I plan to spend most of the summer prepping a site, and aquiring a tub in the early fall. I understand a lot of research is required for tub selection, and the term "wet test" keeps coming up. While I can see the importance of this, how does one go about wet testing large numbers of tubs ? Do I really show up at a dealer with suit and towel, and ask where I can plug in my blender ?

Hot Tub Forum

Wet test
« on: March 24, 2006, 03:32:43 pm »

Chris_H

Re: Wet test
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 03:35:39 pm »
Yep.

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 03:38:47 pm »
Well, maybe not the blender. Unless you get to know the dealer well and invite then to join you! And if you spend the summer wet testing that may happen!

Yes, I believe any dealer worth his salt, or soda ash, whatever, will expect and be happy to allow you to bring your suit and wet test the spas. Not all may have the model you want wet but some may be willing to go out of there way to fill a spa for you if you narrow your selection down and give them the sense you are serious about a particular spa. I wet tested several tubs twice before I made a final decision.
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

anne

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 03:45:01 pm »
yeah, what he said.

I wet tested a couple models three times. A few dealers, seeing that I was serious about buying, almost expected me to have a suit with me when I came in.  A couple of them were surprised that I did, but nobody had a problem with me wet testing during open hours. Many dealers will allow for you to come in after hours, to avoid other customers, but I never felt that shy- just wanted to get the job done.
Dance like nobody's watching

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 03:54:12 pm »
Only wet test tubs that have the features you want, that are comfortable dry and are in your budget. Narrow your search to 2 or 3 spas and test those.

I recommend setting it up with the dealer previously. A lot of dealers keep their running spas at 104 which is too hot to wet test in an indoor showroom IMO. It will also give them an opportunity to make sure the balance is good as not every dealer is overly concerned with water balance as long as it's clear.

If you're comfortable testing during the day with people around then go for it. If not, suggest an after-hours test. If you can't wet test the tub you want, you're not at the right dealer.

Good luck!!

Steve

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 04:05:55 pm »
I agree with Steve  that really wet test those you are interested in,  not every single tub.

A good place to start is having an understanding of what your willing to spend and what features you are looking for. I then would recomend finding what dealers are in your area.

Don't bring a blender.  Bring a flask.   8)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 04:07:21 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 04:21:23 pm »
Talk to the dealer before hand.  Most stores close at 6PM on Friday and Saturday.  Soooooo......Arrive at closing, wet test for about an hour and then dinner makes for a great cheap night out.

Try a number of tubs at a number of dealers

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 04:43:10 pm »
As usual, our members have chimed in with good answers even before I login.  I would just add that how different dealers handle wet test varies quite a bit from one to another so be prepared for that. Some, I'm feeling that is a minority, do not allow wet testing at all. We have had one user report a dealer said that wet testing was "illegal"  Some may not be willing, or capable to put water and heat to the exact model you are interested in.   It may take your brain power and common sense to try to relate how such a west test relates to a model you are interested in.

As you begin to wet test please share your findings with us.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 02:08:21 pm by wmccall »
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 06:16:32 pm »
call ahead....my HS dealer only had one tub with water in it originally (an '04 j375) and it was at about 69 degrees.....a LITTLE too cold to test! Now there's a Sovereign though, and I guess they've got it up to 102.....mmmmmmm......
Either way, be sure they're open and expect you to wet test, as they may have a preference to what time of day will work for THEM.....
Best of luck!
RIP C-Rod

Micah

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 06:54:34 pm »
WMCCALL,
In response to your claim that wet testing is illegal, Well it is.  At least in California it is.  When I sold a spa to a county of L.A. health Inspector I offered to let him try it and he informed me that none of the three models I had up and running were approved for commerical use.  In fact no portable spa that I am aware of has the depth markers that are needed or many other items required by most health departments.
 That being said, Don't tell anybody, but we still wet test all day long.  But it is illegal.
Jacuzzi, Hot Springs and Caldera dealer in Los Angeles

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 08:15:23 pm »
Let them know that you are serious. Afterall, they don't want everybody and their mother soaking in their tubs just for the fun of it.

You might want to call ahead of time and make an appointment. If for no other reason than to make sure your salesman is working that shift.
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

hottub.pool_boy

• New England's oldest HotSpring Dealer- 1983
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006, 09:29:26 pm »
no, call them ahead of time and tell which ones you want filled.
tell 'em you want to come in right at closing time, so you can have the place to yourself.
I've already got a blender.
OEM HotSpring Stuff & SpaGuard Chemicals Online

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006, 01:59:05 pm »
I agree with Steve  that really wet test those you are interested in,  not every single tub.

lol...We had a lady here who along with all her kids came in to wet test it was odd since she had never been here before but told me that what we had set up for wet testing she had no interest in....I can respect that.... (we keep 4 to 5 spas wet).....anyway she wanted to still get in and asked her why ?....I did say she was welcome to do so....but I was puzzled as she said she had no intrest.....she left like she was offended so I went to the parking lot and gave her a nice bottle of spazazz to add to what ever spa she did have an interest in.....it was odd and I sometimes wonder perhaps I handled it badly.....

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2006, 03:30:05 pm »
Only wet test tubs that have the features you want, that are comfortable dry.  Steve

OMGosh Steve - after all these years I finally disagree with something you typed. Wow.

I tell folks not to try guage the comfort of a spa dry. I know that Beachcomber has designed spas that sit well dry. Man, they are about the most comfortable spas in the showroom.

But I like HS better wet. There is truly no comparison wet/dry.

Having said that - and please don't take offense Steve - unless you want to..... :-) you CAN certainly guage important issues such as size, depth, jet impact location, footroom, which way do you think you'll end up facing most of the time, where are the controls, and other vital stuff. Just not comfort.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

marks

• 2005 Beachcomber 580
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 04:06:41 pm »
Chas,

I have to agree with you.  I fully intended to buy a Beachomber 750, but after wet testing I liked the Beachcomer 580 better and purchased that.  I also tried a Hot Spring Grande and liked it but not as much as the Beachcomber.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2006, 04:06:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42