What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Generalized Itching- Thoughts Anyone  (Read 3707 times)

Anoroc

Generalized Itching- Thoughts Anyone
« on: March 22, 2006, 11:24:11 am »
A strange thing has happened to me.  On Monday afternoon I started to feel some itching all across my legs, back and stomach.  Since I have allergies I assumed something was up.  On Tuesday the itching had become constant and so bothersome that I tossed and turned and scratched all night.

I don't show signs of a rash or hives but just a generalized itch across my body.

The last time I used the spa was on Saturday mornng and I neglected to check sanitation levels before getting in.  The previous night a couple of friends used the spa and I put chlorine in it after they were done but I am now wondering if put in enough.

Does anyone think this can be hot tub related?  By the way I just completed a 15 regiment of levaquin(anti-biotic) so perhaps I have had a reaction to that.  My doctor doesn't think its the anti-biotic though.

Thanks for any opinions...

Anoroc ???
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 12:21:42 pm by anaroc »

Hot Tub Forum

Generalized Itching- Thoughts Anyone
« on: March 22, 2006, 11:24:11 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Generalized Itching- Thoughts Anyone
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 02:22:08 pm »
Could be something in the spa water, or the temperature of the water, or nothing of the sort.
Could be allergy related.  Stuff like that can be hard to diagnose.

What type of chemical regimen are you using?  Sounds like maybe dichlor?  Anything else in going in the water?
Friends have cooties?  

A buddy of mine got a bad reaction to bromine, or so he thought.  He switched to dichlor and hasn't had a problem since, but it could be a co-incidence.  

I'd work with your doctor to start.
Brewman

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 02:26:59 pm »
my first response to the topic was "there's a topical cream for that....."
my SECOND response is: check your chemical levels, make sure they're ok. If all is well on the chemical front, you may want to try a cream/lotion on the itchy parts....benadryl, maybe?
I don't care much for doctors, so I don't go in nearly as much as I probably should.....but I believe in fixing things that stump me starting at the cheapest point and working my way up.....
(that's why we didn't immediately replace the digital dash on my hubby's car when it acted up.....turned out to be a loose battery cable)
RIP C-Rod

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 03:23:23 pm »
I've had an itchy lower left leg ever since I got my tub.  Some days it is worse than others.  Here is what I do about it.

Always shower before getting in the tub and always shower afterwards to wash off any chemicals.

This doesn't always work but I found that an alcohol rub down on the itchy areas works well.  And alcohol (the rubbing type) is cheap.

If it continues to work I will try eliminating the post-soak shower and go right to the alcohol (the rubbing type).

Unfortuately, everyone is a little different in this area and what works for one may not work for another.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

cappykat

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 08:33:09 pm »
I have a bromine tub and I get "itchy" places around the tops of my thighs and inner thighs.  Not a rash, but just itchy.  I think it is the bromine because it's only my husband and self who use the tub.  It doesn't bother my husband so he thinks I'm nuts, but I have sensitive skin and allergies so it's the bromine IMO.  I didn't have any problems until we got the hot-tub.

I would like to switch to dichlor but we aren't daily users.  Sometimes we go 2 weeks without use and seems someone said that's why bromine is better for that type of usage.
2005 Marquis Epic

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 06:21:37 am »
I would think that if you add a bit of dichlor every couple days to keep a sanitizer level in the tub even when you're not using it, you SHOULD be able to switch over...I realize bromine's more convenient with the floater, but....if you're having issue with it making you itch, I'd check into it. ;)
And tell your husband you ARE nuts.....and he made you that way.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 06:22:18 am by Tatooed_Lady »
RIP C-Rod

cappykat

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 07:48:48 am »
And tell your husband you ARE nuts.....and he made you that way.

That's the TRUTH!! ;D
2005 Marquis Epic

Anoroc

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 07:53:00 am »
Thanks everone.  Just to be sure I shocked the heck out of the spa.  I think I will do the same thing today.

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 11:12:41 am »
sidenote: I've found two types of lotion that really seem to moisturize well....first is the stuff they use at the indoor tanning facilities work really well for me, but run $20-$40 for 8-12 ounces. For general moisturizing purposes, SKIP the stuff with the "tingle" in it, and some also contain "bronzers" which can add a nice "glow", but aren't necessary if you're just trying to lube dry skin. These can be purchased cheaper online than in the tanning places.
Second, and much cheaper, Aveeno has something called "daily moisturizing lotion" (I'm looking at the tube right now), that for 8 ounces cost me about $6.  It's fragrance free, is a thicker lotion that works great. It comes in more of a tube (like the standup toothpaste).

Hope this helps!
RIP C-Rod

loneoak

• Perception is more important than reality
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 08:23:21 pm »
I asked my dealer about that and he said it's a Ph issue.  I am always fighting with high Ph.

Astrid.

Anoroc

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 11:20:14 am »
My PH levels were fine and TA was a little low but it was in the acceptable range.  That is according to my test strips.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2006, 11:20:14 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42