What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Springs vs Caldera  (Read 6806 times)

FF681

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Hot Springs vs Caldera
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 10:40:06 pm »
Thanks for the input.

We have wet tested the HS Envoy and the Marquis Epic. We liked the Envoy best but it is borderline too deep for my wife (4' 11 1/2"). I am "crystal clear" that the wet test will be the deciding factor, I just want to make sure that I was still considering a premium spa brand with the Caldera. I don't want to buy a tubfull of problems.

Thanks again, it's great having this much experience at the click of a mouse.

FF681

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 10:40:06 pm »

greenhut

• 2005 Caldera Geneva
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 12:37:45 am »
We wet tested the HotSpring Envoy and Caldera Geneva, both were nice products of similar quality, but both my wife and I strongly preferred the Geneva. I wrote a pretty long note on our thoughts (link below). Depth, pump power, jets, and controls were all big factors.

Someone mentioned controls were similar,  but I would strongly disagree and go so far as to claim it is not even personal preference in this regard. Regarding this I had written:

Hotspring really needs to bring the full control panel into the tub. The main control panel is outside the tub, halfway down the front of the spa and impossible to see from in the tub unless you really hang out. You can't see the temp in the tub or adjust it (without of course reaching out).  

With the main controls out of site, you are left with the in tub mini control panel. It has no display, offers few functions, and is awkward. For example, there is only one jets button which has to be pushed 6 times to cycle through all jet option. 1st push is pump 2 low, then pump 2 hi, then pump 1 hi + pump 2 hi, pump 1 hi and 2 low, then just pump 1 hi, then off. Couldn't they have added 1 more button for independent pump 1/2 control? Two of the four buttons on the in-tub control panel are for SpaAudio, which based on its ~1500 price, I imagine is a relatively rare option.

The Geneva's controls far surpassed the Envoys. First, the main control panel is "in" the tub. All functions can be accessed in the tub, and the screen is easily read in the tub (you can even invert the temp display). A secondary control panel is located on the opposite side of the tub and has individual Jets 1 and 2 buttons, lights, and a mode control button for stereo use. The mechanical controls on the Geneva also surpassed the Envoy. Aside from their ease of use, the diverters moved much more smoothly and were quiet. Even the air intake switches had a smooth and solid feel.

Having said this, I couldn't agree more with the standard advice of - the right tub is the one you like better after wet testing.

Full "review" here:
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=wtb-hottub;action=display;num=1132890275;start=0

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 01:18:11 am »
Thanks for the input.

We have wet tested the HS Envoy and the Marquis Epic. We liked the Envoy best but it is borderline too deep for my wife (4' 11 1/2").

I hate to say it but any standard depth spa is going to be an issue for you wife since she's less than tall. Unless you go to a shallow spa (which will have a smaller footprint as well) I think you need to invest in a good spa booster seat (ask the dealers).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 01:18:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42