What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ready to buy, and my head aches....  (Read 9510 times)

kysteelerja

ready to buy, and my head aches....
« on: March 18, 2006, 12:49:32 pm »
ok, i have been wishing for a hot tub for years and now am ready to buy, i have looked at several - Hot Springs including Caldera, and Tiger River as well as Four Winds Spas out of Tennessee, others such as Down East and Master spas....I need help...My Budget is not the greatest, so i cannot afford the Vanguard, am leaning toward the Tiger River Caspian model or this one(which i am leery about).the Four Winds Maui model only because the price is significantly less but the dealer didn't impress and warranty is not as good as HS. but the price is more in my range for the tub, the bells and whistles are not deal breakers espesially since i can upgrade things such as lights, i have not gotten to the point yet of wet testing and we still have some preparation to do before we buy the cost of which is also cutting into how much i can actually pay for the spa itself.

Obviously i am in need of guidance, and the debate over insulation has given me a major headache...I live in  KY, not sure how much of an issue the insulation would be. And all the other things to consider ie. energy costs etc....Please help, don't want to buy a lemon and have read too many horror stories on Epinions to make me very nervous about this purchase.

Thanks for any input

Hot Tub Forum

ready to buy, and my head aches....
« on: March 18, 2006, 12:49:32 pm »

gw

• sundance cameo owner
Re: ready to buy, and my head aches....
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 01:24:00 pm »
newcomer to the group, as a poster, as well.  been lurking here for many months, and just started the serious wet testing.  had a great offer on emerald m570 from steepleton in louisville at last w/end's home show.  will try to get over to see sundance this afternoon.  good luck.

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 02:57:48 pm »
hello and welcome to the board.
it can be very confusing when shopping for a hot tub. every manufacturer has their catch phrases and stories.
all major brands have an "economy" line, not saying they are of less quality, just less in price. Marquis refers to their 2nd line as "everyday".
IMO i would check out some dealer locators at manufacturers web sites (ie marquis, sundance, jaccuzzi, deminsion one, etc...) inorder to give you a little more flexibility and options.
as far as "not wanting a lemon", IMO the best thing to do is to check out 2-3+ more manufacturers/dealers. take notes when you chat with them, compare the tubs side by side. narrow it down to a couple of models, wet test, and go from there.

hope this helps  ;D

socal
Marquis dealer

dadofrad

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 03:59:00 pm »
dear headaches.  I am a four winds dealer all of my maui elite customers love their spa. it is a great performing spa alot like a D-1 auroraII in power. You will enjoye it if you purchased it .  ::)

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 04:25:35 pm »
Don't let the type of insulation sway you. Top quality tubs of both types will  be good performers.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 06:00:22 pm »

Obviously i am in need of guidance, and the debate over insulation has given me a major headache...I live in  KY, not sure how much of an issue the insulation would be. And all the other things to consider ie. energy costs etc....Please help, don't want to buy a lemon and have read too many horror stories on Epinions to make me very nervous about this purchase.

Thanks for any input

If you can't swing what you want now and you describe your second choice in the manner you have I'd probaly advice you to save $200/month and wait 6 months or a year.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

kysteelerja

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 09:47:40 pm »
OUCH

maybe i should clarify, i just want to pay a fair price for a good tub. i do not want to pay for a mistake in poor construction or reliability or energy costs or repairs that i will come to regret for as long as i own the thing. i am not beyond paying a fair price but i don't want to be taken to the cleaners.  as for my reference to the vanguard i am sort of using that as my flagship by which to compare others as it was a consumer's best buy winner, my flagship until i am convinced otherwise. but the spa itself is a little too large for our needs.

maybe i should just be satisfied with the whirlpool tub in the masterbath and scratch this idea alltogether.

All you fans of the black and gold.....I know you're out there.....a toast to the Steelers, Cowher and BenRo maybe we have the makings of yet another dynasty!!!!

Peace,out!!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 01:34:12 am »
am leaning toward the Tiger River Caspian model or this one(which i am leery about).the Four Winds Maui model only because the price is significantly less but the dealer didn't impress and warranty is not as good as HS.

I didn't mean to sting you. I was only responding to the sentence above where it seemed you found something you liked but looked elsewhere "only because the price is significantly less" yet admitted you were leary about it. I'm all for getting a good deal and satisfying yourself while watching what you spend but it seemed like you were looking elsewhere and not necessarily liking what you were considering settling for. Take your time.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

kysteelerja

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 10:14:18 am »
oh i liked the looks of the other tub as well as the tiger river spa or even the vanguard but the difference in prices $9599 for the vanguard $7600 for the tiger river and $5199 for the other. all 06 models, so the old addage you get what you pay for is lurking in the back my mind. Then there's 2vs3 pumps, tp vs ff, circultation pump or not, hp and number of jets. i don't necessarily believe more is better in that dept and hopefully when i get them narrowed down to the wet testing jet questions will be answered then. Jeez, i didn't agonize this much over my zoom-zoom, just knew i couldn't afford a toyota!!! just walked in and said i want that one!! no regrets! sorry to be such a pain, maybe i should do rock, paper, scissors or somethng...LOL

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 05:36:12 pm »
KY, I think I would skip the hottub and get the tub in the bathroom. These things do cost on average of 30 to 60 dollars a month in power plus the cost of chemicals, and the time you MUST devote to taking care of it. So if your on the fence of even not knowing if you even want one. Don't get one. If you do end up buying one and its new, don't fret over the little things. These new tubs are all good. IMO, these tubs are a better investment than a motorcycle. You will spend about the same but use the cycle much less.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 05:44:08 pm »
WOW! $9600 for a Vanguard?   :o
One more thing for me to love about living in the midwest! ;)
RIP C-Rod

kysteelerja

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 08:38:19 pm »
Already have the tub in the masterbath. Not the same thing by any stretch.  Looked at emerald really liked the m670 more in my price range i think, didn't haggle over the vanguard price. that what was  just on the sign. i'm sure they would,ve come down some once a serious discussion ensued. i was in the information gathering mode. will go see the Artesian/Island tomorrow. then decide which ones to wet test. Really liked the emerald though dealer impressed me also.

SurgTec

• Up to my neck in hot water!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 08:55:16 pm »
IMO - if you want a hot tub - do your homework - and it seems you are - hence the headache!  I know where you are coming from!

Where do you want to put it?  What will it cost you to prepare the location?  Power considerations - 110 vs 220 (240, 250 / 40, 50. 60 amps)???  Size - how many people will use - what sort of therapy means the most to you - i.e. - variety, power, versatility??

All these questions will affect what you eventually choose in a spa.  There are many GREAT spas out there.  The right one for YOU will only be determined by your specific needs, wants, and concerns.  

Above all else - once you start to narrow down your choices to make a final decision - wet test, wet test, wet test!  

If I'd chosen my new spa just on looks and sales materials, message boards and web site hype - I would not have felt as satisfied that I'd made the right choice for ME.  Five minutes in the hot bubbly water at the dealer in "my" spa - told me everything I needed to know to make my decision - it felt WONDERFUL - and that is all it took to decide!

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 09:09:17 am »
KysteelerJa

I have an 05 Caspain and am very satisfied with it.  For the price, it has exceeded my expectations.  Definatly do a wet test, as some taller folks didn't like it as much.   But if it fits you,  it's a great tub.

I too struggled over the whole insulation thing as well. Arrrrgh.   I went the FF route.  Why?

It's proven.  From my own research it appeared to me that Watkins  FF tubs were the industry standard to beat.   from what I read, A Thermal pane tub at best would be compatable with a decent FF.    Despite all this argument over "What if it leaks and such"   I decided to buy a quality FF tub that has been proven to be realiable.  It was just that  easy for me.

As someone who has shopped around and owned a few tubs  my advice is buy quality.  By all means shop around, do your homework, wet test, get competitive prices and buy a brand that you know will perform as expected.

Good luck.
07 Caldera Geneva

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 09:29:50 am »
I'm a newbie here but as of this past Friday, am the proud owner of a SUNDANCE BAHIA and got a (based on feedback here) very good deal.

We bought an 05 floor model that still comes with full factory warranty and stereo w/cd.  They have 12 months same as cash and threw in a cover lifter.....all for $6k.  

My point I guess is that you may find a floor model that could make your dream tub more reality than dream.  And responses to my question on this board "any pros/cons to buying floor models" was all positive!  

Good luck...!

Better than I deserve...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 09:29:50 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42