What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chasing pH  (Read 3308 times)

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
Chasing pH
« on: March 20, 2006, 08:03:14 pm »
Just filled my new spa on Friday evening with Atlanta area tap water which I don't think has a lot of unusual characteristics, about 550 gallons to fill the tub according to the website. Added "balancer" (from Spaguard if that means anything to anyone) that was supposed to good up to 500 gallons on Saturday morning after it reached normal temp. Maybe I need a bit more of it? Checked it with test strips (brand name Aquacheck if that is important) and pH seemed to be a bit low. But have watched it for a couple of days and only put in dichlor after each use, 1 tablespoon each time (Probably too much as it reads well over 3ppm after 15 minutes of mixing and still has some the next AM so I will begin dialing it back some since the spa also has ozone and an N2 cartridge).

TA seems good but the pH color on the strip continues to look a hair low to me and I am pretty sure my color vision is OK! Maybe 6.8 to 7.0. No problems so far when I am in the tub. All my skin is still intact... :o

Dealer suggested adding 1 TBL spoon of baking soda. Anybody else care to offer an opinion? Should I add it? Too much? Not enough?

Just kinda of double checking dealer advice. No reason to doubt them but never hurts to get a second opinion! 8)
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

Hot Tub Forum

Chasing pH
« on: March 20, 2006, 08:03:14 pm »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Chasing pH
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 12:12:42 am »
Can you give us an idea of the TA reading?  If it is below 100 adding the baking soda will be ok.  I usually add about twice that much and my tub is 425 gallons.  One note, after you add that wait a day to check again as PH takes awhile to stabilize.

If you can read PH on those strips, your better than I.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

tanstaafl2

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 10:36:42 am »
Can you give us an idea of the TA reading?  If it is below 100 adding the baking soda will be ok.  I usually add about twice that much and my tub is 425 gallons.  One note, after you add that wait a day to check again as PH takes awhile to stabilize.

If you can read PH on those strips, your better than I.

Thanks. The TA seems to be in the normal range but depending on how much regard you have for those strips it is probably more than 100, towards the higher end of the normal range. Can't remember exactly what though.

I don't have much confidence in the strips, hence my concern about the pH,  but not sure what system might be better that one can afford and operate at home. Used to use the drops with my fish aquarium but that was still a color comparison and you had to be pretty sure of your drops. Have used tablets that you dissolve in water also but again you have to compare a color.

Not sure if there is a better way that is reasonably simple AND affordable. But open to suggestions!

Will add just one TBL spoon and wait a day to see what happens. But want to avoid being one of those guys that is constantly testing and tinkering with the chemicals.

Even though it is my nature to be exactly that... :-/

hymbaw

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 11:19:08 am »
Ph increaser from Bioguard runs about $5. As far as testing, ask your dealer about the 1200v test kit from Bioguard.

Good Luck
People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost.

drober30

• Loving my HS Vanguard!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 11:47:41 am »
Adding 1TBS of Dichlor after each use is to much. That's more of a shock amount. 1 tsp might be more appropriate.  

Dichlor will also lower your PH so you should buy PH increaser and plan on adjusting your PH up as part of your maintenance if you’re going to use Dichlor.

Taylor Test Kit K-2005 is a great kit for testing.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 11:48:40 am by drober30 »

tanstaafl2

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 12:30:33 pm »
Adding 1TBS of Dichlor after each use is to much. That's more of a shock amount. 1 tsp might be more appropriate.  

Dichlor will also lower your PH so you should buy PH increaser and plan on adjusting your PH up as part of your maintenance if you’re going to use Dichlor.

Taylor Test Kit K-2005 is a great kit for testing.

I agree that 1 TBS is too much as I thought it would likely be, but I thought I would start high and work back. After all a TBS is only 3 tsp and shock would be as much as 7 times the normal dose using the "Vermonter" plan. And he seemed to be suggesting being a little high at the start to figure out your daily dose was better than being a little low. And it is a 550 gallon tub, a bit bigger than some others.  

Perhaps a bad plan on my part! And didn't realize dichlor would significantly reduce pH, thought it was relatively neutral so I will watch for that.

I will look into the Taylor and Bioguard test kits suggested. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 12:31:13 pm by tanstaafl2 »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Chas ing pH
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 05:17:28 pm »
How did I miss this topic up til now?

Hmm.  Chas-ing anything would be good.

Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Chas ing pH
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 05:17:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42