What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Grandee is Kaput... :-(  (Read 8996 times)

georgiapeach

Grandee is Kaput... :-(
« on: March 20, 2006, 10:13:03 am »
Hey Guys,

It's been awhile since I've posted here; I lead a very boring life and have had nothing to talk about.... LOL.....But I'm always reading y'alls stories; they make me laugh....... :-)  
I've had my first major problem with my Grandee since purchasing it in Nov 04.  I did a drain and refill on Saturday and when I went to turn the breakers back on and start the jets, it ran for about 30 seconds and just stopped and red power button was blinking.  I went back to the breaker box and flipped it off and back on again and tried again and the same thing happened......got my book out, but that didn't help me, so I called Macon Spas and Woodstoves (My dealer) and the tech had me do a couple of things, none of which helped.  He told me what he thinks it is, but I can't remember what he said.  Anyway, it was late on Saturday afternoon and he couldn't get out that day and of course they are closed Sunday's and Monday's, so he's coming out first thing tomorrow morning.  I just turned the breakers off and closed it up....sure hope my water is still going to be okay by tomorrow; and it was so pretty and clear too and I couldn't wait to get into it Saturday night...:-(
This STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!    :'(

Peachy

Hot Tub Forum

Grandee is Kaput... :-(
« on: March 20, 2006, 10:13:03 am »

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
Re: Grandee is Kaput... :-(
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 10:27:30 am »
Try only turning on the 20 amp breaker.

Then go over to the spa and run the jets for awhile. In fact, you can balance the pH and TA at that point.

Turn off the jets and let the water settle down. Check to see that you have flow through the small pump: bubbles if you have ozone, slight surface disturbance if you do not.

If not, put the garden hose down the grey filter tub and try to flush the air out of the small pump.

If so, turn on the 30 amp breaker and you should be in hot water soon.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

luvin_tubin_sqezin

• Kiss my cartoon butt!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 10:28:12 am »
Sorry about your hiccup Peachy!   :P

But do keep us posted as to how the dealer handles the problem and what the problem was as it could help all of us at some point!!!  

Better than I deserve...

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 10:47:23 am »
Try and do what Chas said before the tech comes out as you have perfectly described what constitutes around 50% of our service calls: an air lock.

It is very easy to remedy by following his instructions.  I would also clean the filters thoroughly.  These two issues combined account for around 80% of our service calls.  We usually will give the customer 1 freebie to come clean their filters, after that it's $60 for a service call.

Good luck as I'm sure it's nothing major. :)

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

georgiapeach

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 10:50:02 am »
Try only turning on the 20 amp breaker.

Then go over to the spa and run the jets for awhile. In fact, you can balance the pH and TA at that point.

Turn off the jets and let the water settle down. Check to see that you have flow through the small pump: bubbles if you have ozone, slight surface disturbance if you do not.

If not, put the garden hose down the grey filter tub and try to flush the air out of the small pump.

If so, turn on the 30 amp breaker and you should be in hot water soon.

Hey Chas,

Haven't tried turning on just the 20 Amp Breaker...had both on...will do that when I get home....but already tried the garden hose in the grey tube.....per the tech and that didn't work.....still no bubbles... :-(  He thought there was an air bubble somewhere too, at first....he said something about circ pump?  Then he mentioned a bad filter...told me to switch the filters....did that...still didn't work.... :-(  I'll keep y'all posted!  

Peachy

georgiapeach

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 10:55:15 am »
Try and do what Chas said before the tech comes out as you have perfectly described what constitutes around 50% of our service calls: an air lock.

It is very easy to remedy by following his instructions.  I would also clean the filters thoroughly.  These two issues combined account for around 80% of our service calls.  We usually will give the customer 1 freebie to come clean their filters, after that it's $60 for a service call.

Good luck as I'm sure it's nothing major. :)

Terminator

Hey Terminator!

I had put my filters in the cleaning solution overnight and swished them around....just like I was taught to do and I rinsed them really well before putting them back......when the tech mentioned dirty filters, I said...Hey, Hey...my filters ain't dirty....LOL...he said they may not look dirty but you can't see the inside of them....hhmmmm.  The first thing they asked me was where I put the hose to refill....I said in the filter section where I was taught!  I did everything as I've always done.  I sure hope it's something very simple....thank god it's still under warranty!

Thanks for the response!  I'll keep y'all posted.  

P.S. Am going to try try just turning on the 20 AMP breaker and see how that goes when I get home.  

Peachy

georgiapeach

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 10:56:40 am »
Sorry about your hiccup Peachy!   :P

But do keep us posted as to how the dealer handles the problem and what the problem was as it could help all of us at some point!!!  

Will do!  :-)

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 11:00:17 am »
One simple way I use to determine the state of filter cleanliness is similiar to the way drewstar and his neighbors dealt with suspected witches:  the float test.

Put the filters in the water.  If they sink, then they stink.  If they float, you're gonna gloat! (well, it rhymes anyway) :)

Terminator

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 11:06:29 am »
One simple way I use to determine the state of filter cleanliness is similiar to the way drewstar and his neighbors dealt with suspected witches:  the float test.

Put the filters in the water.  If they sink, then they stink.  If they float, you're gonna gloat! (well, it rhymes anyway) :)

Terminator
Hi Term is this test good for Tri-x and regular filters?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 11:06:31 am »

Terminator

Hey that witch turned me into a newt!

(I got better).
07 Caldera Geneva

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 11:10:44 am »
Hi Term is this test good for Tri-x and regular filters?

Howdy!  Yes sir, I've found it to work for either.  Not an exact science, but works well as a litmus test.

Terminator

georgiapeach

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 11:20:02 am »

Terminator

I am LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!  I'll try that when I get home!  I guess I figured I was taking care of them really well; i.e., rinsing them out every week and using the EZ Cleaner when changing water.  

Peachy

Perk1

• Relaxed when wet....
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 11:28:44 am »
Sounds like an airlock to me too.  Sometimes I have to turn my 20 amp breaker on and off several times before I see the flow through the circ pump coming from the floor drain. If I am not getting the flow from the floor drain, and I try to turn on both breakers, they will trip.  

Each time I turn on the 20 amp I watch the floor.  If there is an air bubble stuck I may get a quick 'burp' of bubbles but then nothing, so I turn of the 20 amp for 30 seconds then turn it back on again....another burp of bubbles and nothing...I turn it off again wait 30 seconds then turn it on again...it may take a few times of doing this but the air bubble will eventually work itself out and there will be a big 'burp' of bubbles and then the usual steady stream of ozonated bubbles.  

Good luck GP and I am sure you will be back in hot water soon!!!

georgiapeach

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 11:37:16 am »
Hey Perk

I'm going to try it when I get home; I printed all these out and I'll follow the directions and see what happens.  I'll let y'all know how it goes.  The Tech seems to think it's an air pocket also, but like I said, I tried what he told me to do and it didn't work.  Of course, I may not be doing something right!   ;D

Thanks to all for your input!!!!!!!!!!!!  That's why I like this place so much; everyone is always so very helpful!  I have given this website out to a friends that have gotten or are thinking of getting a hot tub.... :-)

Peachy

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 12:04:48 pm »
Am going to try try just turning on the 20 AMP breaker and see how that goes when I get home.  

Now wait just a doggone minute - are you admitting to us that you are wasting time here on this board while you are at WORK???

OMG.

;)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 12:04:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42