What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Help with a 3-4 person max hottub for indoor?  (Read 5291 times)

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Help with a 3-4 person max hottub for indoor?
« on: March 18, 2006, 07:07:04 pm »
Okay well I was considering putting a hottub outside but I would need to build either a deck or patio outside my lower glass sliding door for a hottub.  After talking to a contractor about building a deck to support a tub, it is going to cost me a pretty penny, also will raise my taxes, etc.  Running electric to the location would also cost a nice buck.  Then I thought forget the deck since it would be a ground level deck and how about a patio or even a slab of concrete.  Well that would save some money but then I have the same issue I have with a deck or anything outside for that matter, I would want to enclose it in to keep snow, ice, etc off the tub.  I know many people here think it's great to get into the tub outside in the winter, but honestly I have friends that have tubs both indoors and outdoors around me, and the ones with outside tubs hardly use them in the winter because it's too much of a hassle to go outside into 1'+ of snow, wipe off the cover filled with snow and ice, all while freezing your butt off, then go back inside, get your bathing suite on just to go soak for 15-20 minutes before your head freezes (very windy at my house, live ontop of a mountain in northern NJ).  So anyhow, needless to say, outside spas seem really nice, but I just know I wouldn't use it as much if I had to go through the hassle of snow removal, etc. and then put the cover all back on in freezing weather.  So to get around this outside I would need to build or buy a premade hottub enclousure, another 3-5K easily.

So with a limited budget (trying to keep this whole thing including tub purchase and electric run under 7K), I decided that if I get a tub the ONLY place I want it is inside my house, and my 2-car garage would be the only place I could put it inside.  So I would box out an 8' x 9' room in my garage, put up walls, and then put the tub in that room.  I really am only concerned with getting a nice 2-4 person tub, since it will be only me and the wife using the tub 95% of the time just to relax and soothe our muscles from a long stressful day at work.  Getting anything bigger than that will just be wasted space in my opinion and I would be paying more for a tub with probably less jets per seat.  Also my electric and chemical expense will be greater with a bigger tub.

So given the above, my questions are as follows:

1.) To box out a 8'x9' room in my garage, would you do it using sheetrock and 2x4s?  The little room would be in the back right-hand corner of my garage, so I would already have 2 walls done (the back wall of my garage and the right-hand wall of the garage).  Also, would you suggest using some special type of paint on all the walls to prevent moisture and humidity from getting into the sheetrock and ruining it?

2.) If I boxed out a room like described above, do you think I would need to install some type of exhaust fan in this little room?  Or do you think I could simpily get away with no exhaust fan and leave the door to the little room slighty open while using the tub to let the moisture out into the rest of the garage?  The total garage size is about 21' x 25', with two full sized garage doors, a small side door to get into the garage, and two small windows on the opposite side of the garage from which the little spa room would be.

3.) When the cover is on the spa, is any moisture or humidity excaping into the room where the tub is?  or does this only happen when the cover is off the spa?  When the cover is off the spa is the amount of mositure and humidity the same as a typical shower?

4.) Looking at spa models, I see some nice 2-3 person spas from Sundance (the Capri), Coleman (Model 351), Hot Springs (Jettsetter).  Would are your opinions of those models?  Any others you would highly recommend me looking into?  I have dealers for most all the top brands within 50 miles of my house.

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

Help with a 3-4 person max hottub for indoor?
« on: March 18, 2006, 07:07:04 pm »

rocket

• Life is good!
Re: Help with a 3-4 person max hottub for indoor?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 07:29:36 pm »
Look at the Marquis Hideaway line and the Retreat.

Have fun shopping.

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 07:39:28 pm »
Look at the Marquis Hideaway line and the Retreat.

Have fun shopping.

there is also the 315 by Marquis in their everyday line.
the rendezvous (hideaway line) is a triangular shape while the 315 is more rectangular.
the retreat mentioned before is considered a 4 person spa. it is in the hideaway product line as well.
Marquis dealer

SurgTec

• Up to my neck in hot water!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 07:57:23 pm »
In response to your questions about framing in a space in your garage....

My spa / hot tub is outdoors - but I know folks who put a tub in their basement.  Ventilation is important - especially if you get a spa with Ozone.  Moisture will lead to mildew on the walls without ventilation.  If you use the existing garage walls - I would reccommend some sort of moisture barrier (vinyl wall paper?).  

I understand your desire to avoid 'hassels' with using your spa outdoors in the winter.  One of my greatest pleasures is listening to the birds and hearing the breeze in the trees when I soak - you will miss this aspect of 'tubbing'.  Perhaps you should consider at least placing your spa where you can make use of the windows for ventilation or a 'view'.  

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 08:03:04 pm »
I really think the Sundance Capri and the Coleman 351 look really nice with a good amount of jets.  The Capri is about $6,500 and the Coleman 351 is about $5,400

Do you know what manufacturers offer the best warranty?

SurgTec

• Up to my neck in hot water!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 08:07:02 pm »
There's that word - "best" again.  

Any warranty on paper - is only as good as the folks who will honor it.  Be sure you feel comfortable with and can rely on - the store you buy from!  

That all said - I have a Marquis spa and feel that their warranty is right up there with the "best"  8)

Chuck_55

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 09:01:05 am »
Sounds like a fun project.
I would try and buy a Window slider
or French doors to open to the outside. with large
window on other side.

Use Green board for your Sheet Rock and  Mildew
resitante Paint on the Finished project  and addition
exhaust fan would be a plus.

You will all so consider your electric have some one check out the new nec code for you. GFCI  within five feet or
Clearly labled. They also discuss a new ground system
if you permit. You might find yourself over buget. In less
you are considering buying a used Tub.
I myself took on my tub project and was able to
save a bundle, And the tub after delivery had a few
bugs but we worked them out in a short time. (bought a used Altimar, sundance)
I'm happy
with the finished project. :D

Good luck
Chuck 55

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 10:55:52 am »
Can anybody comment on the warranties from the top brands like Sundance, HS, Coleman, etc.?

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 03:14:34 pm »
Can anybody comment on the warranties from the top brands like Sundance, HS, Coleman, etc.?

I think SurgTec hit the nail on the head. There may be slight variances between these three, but at the end of the day, all three warrant the pumps, heaters, plumbing, electronics and jets for 5 years.

Now, if the dealer stops selling the brand because of a dispute over something (dealer doesn't pay bills, manufacturer doesn't pay the warranty) you have a problem. All three are reputable manufacturers, so focus on the dealer, comfort and therapy.

Dont let warranty be a deciding factor between those three choices.
Homeworks Financing Representative

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 09:11:58 pm »
I saw the Sundance and Coleman models today, actually I think the Coleman were very nice, and for the mid sized tubs, I thought the colemans were better, more jets, better seating, etc.  I really liked the Coleman 461 model.  They didn't have the 361 model to check out.

It's weird when you sit in the tubs empty, you can feel the jets sort of pushing into your back, not very comfortable, but I guess once the tub is filled with water you can't really feel the jets sticking out anymore?

The dealer wants $6,600 for a new Coleman 461 model, that sounds a bit high to me.

The high end Sundance models, that fit like 6-7 people were very very nice, but way out of my 5-6K price range.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 08:50:49 am »
The high end Sundance models, that fit like 6-7 people were very very nice, but way out of my 5-6K price range.

Uh.....but that doesn't matter, because you're looking for a 3-4 person tub, right?   ??? (I probably missed something AGAIN)
RIP C-Rod

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 10:24:10 am »
yeah only really interested in the smaller to mid-sized tubs..

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 10:24:10 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42