What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Whats the secret to the fast drain?  (Read 6383 times)

Brookenstein

Re: Whats the secret to the fast drain?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 12:22:56 am »
I don't know what happened to the water.  It was perfect, then a couple nights ago we went out there and it was suddenly cloudy.  Normally I shock with MPS, but I decided to shock with dichlor... added apparently way too much (probably 2.5 TBS... nightly I do about 3/4  of TBS).  Anyway, the next morning the water was still cloudy, but there was no chlorine showing when tested.  With that amount there should have been.  So, I went to Leslies, they tested everything... everything was good except my CYA was high.  I was going to ignore that if the water went back to normal, but it hasn't and the dirty filter daily really makes me wonder what is in the water.   ???  So, if all goes well tomorrow I will drain before the kid goes to school.  I've got a busy day and we are hoping to finish the tile this weekend... so the timing kinda sucks.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 12:22:56 am »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2006, 01:06:16 am »
That's strange. 2.5 TBS shouldn't have thrown you off. Vermonter recomends 7 times your normal dose for shocking.  I'm around 2.5 TBS myself. I wonder if your N2 cartridge is toast? It shouldn't make that much a difference but I would throw a new one in. Is it the orginal unit?

I don't know what happened to the water.  It was perfect, then a couple nights ago we went out there and it was suddenly cloudy.  Normally I shock with MPS, but I decided to shock with dichlor... added apparently way too much (probably 2.5 TBS... nightly I do about 3/4  of TBS).  Anyway, the next morning the water was still cloudy, but there was no chlorine showing when tested.  With that amount there should have been.  So, I went to Leslies, they tested everything... everything was good except my CYA was high.  I was going to ignore that if the water went back to normal, but it hasn't and the dirty filter daily really makes me wonder what is in the water.   ???  So, if all goes well tomorrow I will drain before the kid goes to school.  I've got a busy day and we are hoping to finish the tile this weekend... so the timing kinda sucks.

2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Brookenstein

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2006, 09:43:28 am »
I wondered the same thing about the N2... I'm about 1-2 weeks away from 4 months.  I really didn't think I had overshocked it either... I knew it was a good dose, but not enough to do something like that.

I wasn't going to worry about the high CYA if the water cleared up, but it hasn't and with my mom coming I don't want a nasty tub.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2006, 10:16:35 pm »
I now have one of each of those hoses thanks to the idiot at Leslies.  I'll let you know if it helps tomorrow.   :)
It should help.
There are lots of ways to hold the tub end of the hose at the bottom and keep it there:
Vice grips
Small children
Bare toes
Otherwise-useless spousal unit
Otherwise-useless progeny
Brick with smooth edges and corners - Can you say "Great Aunt Betty's Fruitcake from last Christmas?"
AOL discs wired together
Sock full of rocks
Wall-eyed lemurs - stuffed, of course
Large tub of fresh salad greens (this is what you use to get the Wall-eyed Lemur stuffed)

But whatever you use, the black crinkled hose should go faster than a smaller garden hose.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2006, 10:27:52 pm »
I usually start draining the spa when I get out at night using the standard valve and garden hose. When I wake up it's all done.  I guess someday I'll have to buy more hoses and pumps etc.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 01:48:12 am by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Brookenstein

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2006, 10:29:47 pm »
I thought about doing it that way Gomboman, but its been a bit chilly here lately so I didn't want to.  I'm sure I'll do that during summer though.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2006, 10:29:47 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42