What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: weird question about spa delivery  (Read 2930 times)

anne

weird question about spa delivery
« on: March 17, 2006, 03:07:43 am »
I know that different companies may do this differently, but I'm trying to anticipate a problem with getting my spa set up.

I have built a "sandbox" style gravel bed. It is filled with 3/8" crushed rock. I think that the tub will be "rolled" in on its side, but then how are they generally lowered to horizontal? I'm imagining that if the tub is brought in on its side next to the edge of the gravel filled box, then lowered down, that the leading edge in the gravel will dig in as it lowers, and ruin any levelness I achieved with the gravel. (Does that make sense?)

I was thinking of coming up with a big flat piece of plywood to have under that edge, supported somewhat by the 2x6s that make up the box. Then once the tub is horizontal, we'd lift it a bit to pull the wood out......

or am I anticipating problems that the delivery crew will know how to handle?  ::)
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

weird question about spa delivery
« on: March 17, 2006, 03:07:43 am »

JcDenton

• Be Cool or be cast out
Re: weird question about spa delivery
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 07:38:23 am »
Hi Anne

When they delivered our tub it came in on its side as well. With the cart they were using, the 'edge' didn't hit the ground at all really, it was supported underneath - then easily lowered down by a few guys.

The empty tup is not too problematic to move in this case - especially if you have a few guys around. Once on the surface you can also jockey it around without too much problem. You got the Arctic with the forever floor didn't you - so  I really don't see a problem - however, ours did go on top of patio blocks (not gravel) so maybe someone else may be better able to respond here.

Jc
How do you know how much you don't know?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 08:15:30 am »
Does your spa include a site inspection?  Shortly before our spa was delivered, they came out to see where it was going to be placed, presumably to see if there were any issues that would impact their "normal" delivery.  Like needing to send extra help,  a crane, etc.
If you don't get the inspection, just call the dealer and tell them your concerns, so they know what to expect in advance, and come prepared to deal with it.

Brewman

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 09:49:36 am »
anne, call your dealer and ask how they deal with the delivery. I asked mine about trucking it in on its side, they looked at me like I was nuts.....these guys put it flat on a double wide snowmobile trailer, bring it around to the site (hauling trailer and spa with a 4 wheeler, where necessary), then ease it off the trailer onto the site....I asked if they'll need someone there to assist, I was told it's THEIR job, not ours....and that the two guys (owner and owners bro/tub tech) can do a Grandee on their own......
This I HAVE to see.  ;)
In any case, they don't put tubs on their sides....
Good luck!!
RIP C-Rod

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 10:02:23 am »
Spa dollies transport spas on their sides.  
Really a very clever device.  The dolly serves as a trailer until it's converted into a dolly by attaching some parts.

The unit then tips up on it's side, and is wheeled anywhere reasonable.  Nice thin profile for getting thru gates and such.  

As long as it'd done by the book, there's no reason a spa can't be placed on the side.  It is amazing how easy the competent make spa moving look.  
I'd sure hate to have to do it on my own.  
Brewman

anne

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 11:22:50 am »
My dealer described it just like Brewman. I forgot that he called it a "dolly." Good thing they can do it that way too, as it has to go through my garden walkway and a 50" gate.

Jc- yes, it has a forever floor, and I'm not worried about the location I have built, just worried about the actual placement since the gravel will not resist compression the way concrete would if the tub's weight were all along one edge while lowered. I guess that sounds bad for the tub, too.

I'll be calling the dealer today- hoping for (but not expecting) the hub this weekend!!!!!
Dance like nobody's watching

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 12:41:23 pm »
Just had my tub delivered this morning. It came on its side on a dolly as described. The 38" tub went through my 40" gate with no trouble which I was pleased to see!

When they tipped it over they put a 4x4 post at the edge of the dolly to rest the corner on until it was flat and then were able to slide it on to the concrete shim that I had poured on to my pad to level it. The shim was on top of a sheet of black plastic and by folding the edges of the plastic on to the concrete shim and then putting the tub on top it turned out reasonably nice. The shim now sort of looks like a continuation of the black plastic bottom of the tub.

Got the under deck roof and the electrical put in yesterday and hung my speakers as well. Tub is now running so that by this evening or tomorrow at the latest I should be in hot water! Only need the motorized retractable screens to be put in and to hang the fans and I will be done. Hopefully will get it finished by next weekend.  :)

Unfortunately about in time for the weather to warm up...  :(

But the evenings should remain cool for a while still. We shall see.

And hopefully pictures of the whole process to follow in the near future!
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

RayF-1

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006, 04:43:55 pm »
Motorized retractable screens ?? First Class! ;)

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 05:40:25 pm »
Motorized retractable screens ?? First Class! ;)

My biggest luxury in this whole process (other than the tub itself of course!) has been the screens. My previous home, now occupied by my folks, sits in the middle of 70 heavily wooded acres with a completely contained pond on the property right by the house. It is lovely even if I do say so myself! So screens weren't really something I had to worry about whether I was hot tubbing nekkid (actually I never got one there as I knew I was eventually going to have to move because of my commute) or doing most anything else of an "adult" nature on the deck (or the backyard, or the lake or the... Well, you get the idea!  ;D).

But now I live on a postage stamp in downtown suburbia with a church on the other side of my fence in the backyard and neighbors that I can hear when they pass gas. While I have never been accused of being shy and have no particular problem soaking nekkid in MY tub on MY patio in MY backyard at MY house I know others, including the little women, might not be quite so audacious.

But I didn't want dark screens down all the time, didn't want something that looked kinda cheap and crappy to go with my nice, not cheap, not crappy tub and was too lazy to crank the suckers down myself every time!

Hence the motorized retractable "privacy" screens are on the way. But jeez louise were they expensive!  :o

I plan to post a series of pictures when it all gets done. That is if I can figure out all the details of doing that! It's not like I am Terminator after all.

Although come to think of it I do own several firearms...

;)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 05:49:34 pm by tanstaafl2 »
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

cappykat

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 05:45:24 pm »
Sounds like a great set-up.  Please post pics when you can.

Congrats!
2005 Marquis Epic

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 05:45:24 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42