What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Questions about a used Catalina  (Read 7549 times)

TN__HOT_TUB

• Owner of  an Artesian Island Grand Cayman
Questions about a used Catalina
« on: March 14, 2006, 07:09:56 pm »
Has anyone ever heard of the Catalina Caribbean hot tub?  

I've got a friend of a friend that is selling a Catalina Caribbean they bought in 2000.  I can't find anything about the Caribbean model.  They say it is a full-sized, 6 adult seater with a lounge chair. I'm planning on viewing it later this week.

They've never had any problems with the spa. They are asking $4,000 for the hot tub.   Is that what used hot tubs go for?  The original cost in 2000 was just over $9,000.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 07:33:57 pm by TN__HOT_TUB »
Artesian Island Grand Cayman

Hot Tub Forum

Questions about a used Catalina
« on: March 14, 2006, 07:09:56 pm »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: Used Catalina
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 07:22:50 pm »
Has anyone ever heard of the Catalina Caribbean hot tub?  

I've got a friend of a friend that is selling a Catalina Caribbean they bought in 2000.  I can't find anything about the Caribbean model.  They say it is a full-sized, 6 adult seater with a lounge chair. I'm planning on viewing it later this week.

They've never had any problems with the spa. They are asking $4,000 for the hot tub.   Is that what used hot tubs go for?  The original cost in 2000 was just over $9,000.

Is the spa hooked up and running so you can check it out or has it been set aside and they're telling you it was working just fine b4 they unhooked it?
220, 221, whatever it takes!

TN__HOT_TUB

Re: Used Catalina
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 07:33:23 pm »

Is the spa hooked up and running so you can check it out or has it been set aside and they're telling you it was working just fine b4 they unhooked it?

Good question.  I don't know.  She did mention that it was not full of water at this time.  They moved and are selling their home and it is in the backyard (i'm sure it could be hooked up and filled).

They were using it just a few months ago and it functioned at that time.  They've not had any troubles.  Being that she is a friend of a friend, I tend to believe her more so than just a total stranger (maybe I'm naive).

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Questions about a used Catalina
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 08:45:13 pm »
How long has the tub been empty?  And has it been outside the whole time?  My concern would be residual water inside the plumbing may have frozen and a pipe or fitting is now broken.  Before I bought it, I'd want to make sure it does in fact run and doesn't leak.  I'd hate for a hot tub to ruin a friendship.

Jim

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 09:21:23 pm »
I think it has been empty for a few months. Is that a bad thing?

It's been outside since they bought it back in 2000 and sits empty since they moved out of the house.

What's the best way to check for damage? Should I have them fill it and do a wet test?

$4,000 seems a bit high for a 6 year old used hot tub.  Especially since I'll have to pay to have it moved across town.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 02:14:40 pm »
I think it depends how "used" it is, what original price was, what condition is currently, etc....if it's in FINE shape, was a $9k tub a few years back, etc, etc, etc...it could be worth it....but if it's now got damage to the plumbing from laying outside in the cold, any shell damage, any electronics not working right, etc....could be worth a healthy $5.....
Friends are friends......but business is business.....
I found that every time I sell some high ticket item, *I* get screwed......even if sold to a friend. If I BUY a high ticket item, even from friends.......*I* get screwed....it's a vicious circle.
Take a look at your local spa stores, see if they don't have a refurbished tub that catches your eye/pocketbook/arse......at least that way they've been over the tub, checked for leaks, etc.....and MAY even give you a short warranty.
(the above is MY OPINION)
RIP C-Rod

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 06:50:40 pm »
I checked the tub out today.  I don't think I will pay the $4,000 asking price.  I was unable to access the underside (jets, heater, guts) of the tub as the panels were screwed down and i didn't have a screwdriver with me.

It definetely has some age on it from a cosmetic standpoint.  

I checked out a couple of the local dealers in town today and they each carry a lower-end 8 foot model for about $5,000 and those come with a warranty.  I looked at the Artesian Island spas and the Reflection spas (made by DM Industries).  Any thoughts on either of those?

Now all i have to do is decide on which features I want and how much am I willing to pay for them.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 06:53:03 pm by TN__HOT_TUB »

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 08:13:37 pm »
sounds like you're on the right track, IMHO.......  :)
RIP C-Rod

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 08:21:44 pm »
I checked out a couple of the local dealers in town today and they each carry a lower-end 8 foot model for about $5,000 and those come with a warranty.  I looked at the Artesian Island spas and the Reflection spas (made by DM Industries).  Any thoughts on either of those?

With any luck I will be taking delivery on a Reflections Granada on Friday that I bought a couple of weeks ago. I wet tested it and several other Reflections and Vita tubs fairly extensively and liked it enough to buy. But as I said I don't actually have it yet so can't tell you much more than that. Mine is the Ultra Plus series. There are two other versions, Premier (which I think is TP) and Ultra (which I think is FF, as is the Ultra Plus). Don't know which version you were looking at as that could make a big difference.

If you are getting a price of 5K on the Ultra Plus Granada then I would be dissappointed as mine cost considerably more!

;D
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 08:38:26 pm »
tanstaafl2...Nah, the one i looked at was the Reflection Siesta and it was their low end "premiere" model. The salesperson openly admitted that this model was without many of the bells and whistles that come on their higher end models.

Some of the areas I'm doing some research on now are: insulation, ozonator, and pump size.

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 09:02:15 pm »
don't forget to research comfort....bells and whistles are fine, but if you ask many of the users on this forum, it seems that the things that caught their eye initially, aren't so splendiferous anymore...water falls are among the ones I've read that aren't used so much after the novelty wears off.
Ozone seems something that those that have it swear by.....there IS some contention, however.
Insulation......oh, don't go there on this site!!!! *LMAO*
and pump size....well.....sometimes size matters....guess it depends on if you've got a bunch of jets and need a second pump, or larger pump....
do your research, for sure......
Best of luck!
RIP C-Rod

TN__HOT_TUB

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 09:42:15 pm »
I just started researching the insulation topic.  Seems it's a hot topic around here.  It is interesting how the more expensive (same model) is FF and not TP.  This seems to be universal finding.

27 jets and i think they are adjustable to the point where you can limit power to some of the seats.  Since 90% of the time there will be <2 people in the tub, I'm not all too interested in 60 jets and 3 pumps (i say that now...double check with me next year)  :D

I remember spending quite a few enjoyable evenings with my friend in his tub a few years ago.  It was older, smaller, and did not have half the features of this "low-end" model I'm looking at.  We had a blast in that thing.

Tatooed_Lady

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 09:48:11 pm »
now YOU'RE older and don't have half the features you used to have......hehehe....okay, I guess that's considered "AGED".  ;D ;)
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 09:48:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42