What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Rantings of an old tired spa warrior....  (Read 12530 times)

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: Rantings of an old tired spa warrior....
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 12:04:27 pm »
13. At what point does the opinion of a person that bought their first spa outweigh years of experience of a professional that has lived the experience for many years? So many myopic, one-sided opinions meant to encourage someone else to follow the same path that you did will be embarrassing years from now when you both have product fail the same way.

bubba stu,
Considering the exchanges we've had in the past, considering the extreme respect I have for your experience--your livelihood, if you will--considering that I am one of those first time, myopic spa owners, allow me to tackle this one.

Many spa owners, especially to those of us who frequent this and other spa related sites, consider spa ownership a passion.  Before the purchase, we were ecstatic with anticipation and wanted to share our joy.  After delivery, we were ecstatic with the new spa experience and wanted to share our joy.  Subsequently, if the spa lived up to our expectations, we were ecstatic and wanted to share our joy.  If the spa failed to live up to our expectations, we were equally enthusiastic about sharing our disappointment.

Many spa retailers, especially those who frequent this and other spa related sites, consider spa retailing a passion as well as a livelihood.  They are ecstatic about their product and want to share their joy.  If they have had bad experiences with spa manufacturers in the past, they are equally enthusiastic about sharing their disappointment.

The excellent question you pose, bubba stu, should be asked by every reader when reading every post.  Many times the opinions of spa users and spa retailers alike are clouded with passion--both good and bad.  I don't think it is up to me or you to determine where this line distinction should be drawn.  When it comes to the therapy provided and use of features on MY spa, no one knows this better than me.  I live with the spa day in and day out.  I have invested many hours as well as much money on this device and if someone elicits my opinions regarding my experiences with my spa, I'm gonna tell'em exactly how I feel.  Yes, it is only one spa that I know but I know it pretty darn well.  When it comes to the troubleshooting, repair, replacement of components of spas, the retailer's opinion reins supreme and the retailers here have a wealth of experience that is a treasure for those of us who are myopic--and I'll speak for all when I say thank you for sharing.

There is no global line to be drawn.  Instead there are as many lines to be drawn as there are posts.

BTW, thanks for your rants.....well done.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2006, 12:04:27 pm »

anne

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2006, 12:06:26 pm »
Stuart and JMcD: you both sound like dealers frustrated by unappreciative, demanding and sometimes ignorant clients, and sabotaged by the few members of your dealer community that lead you to be equated with a "used cars salesman".  (To the honest, straightforward car dealers out there- sorry- but you know the "type" I am generalizing just for illustration) While I COMPLETELY share your pain and I think that all you had to say makes sense, I'd say that my opinion is this is not a SPA issue- what service/sales industry does NOT have these problems? It is a human nature issue. The negatives in people tend to stick to us:

" What make people think they can come in and offer you less than what is fair, and want the extras free?

What makes some sellers think they can unfairly take advantage of honest people and deliver less than they should? "

I'm not trying to demean what you had to say, but just putting it out there that these issues are EVERYWHERE. And anyone asking advice here is responsible for what they do with that advice:

"At what point does the opinion of a person that bought their first spa outweigh years of experience of a professional that has lived the experience for many years? So many myopic, one-sided opinions meant to encourage someone else to follow the same path that you did will be embarrassing years from now when you both have product fail the same way. "

An intelligent consumer on this forum does take ALL comments here with a grain of salt, so to speak. And if they dont, it is their own fault. Just because some "newbie" (like me!  ;) ) might spout a bunch of advice based on one week or one month of spa ownership, doesn't mean that those comments are weighed as heavily by another reader as something coming from a more established member.

Those of us new to this forum and to Spa-life in general really do appreciate the insights and FREE ADVICE that you veteran dealers and spa enthusiasts offer. Don't let the shortsighted, ignorant, vindictive few people get to you.  
Dance like nobody's watching

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 02:02:20 pm »
stuart...

I aapearcaite your honesty and openness ....Simply in any type of retail there are those who have have unrealistic expectation's and we can never simply please them nor do they really want understand or learn about the product they have purchased but there are also those who are just the opposite and do appreciate all of your efforts ...I think what makes spas so tough for so many is that people are unfamiliar with them and what actually in the end matters....I have mentioned this before but with little feed back but while so many compare it to autos ....I think because of the cost....it is nothing like buying a car....manily because everyone reading this grew up riding in car and knows something about them.....while very few really know anything about a spa and think thats what makes it so tough and YES .....there are those dealers and makers who play to this....and for those who try and do the right thing it is tough at times....I think the dealers who are here are those who regardless of the line they carry truly want to do the right thing and obviously do believe in the product they represent .....but are here just to help where they can....and I think we all (dealers) bite our lips from time to time.....but it is what makes this board one of the best out there....So to You......Chas......Steve....JMCD.....Sales Devil........Term.....NJD...and all the others.....I say Thank you....and to all of the great owners here also.......

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 02:46:51 pm »
I'd say that my opinion is this is not a SPA issue- what service/sales industry does NOT have these problems? It is a human nature issue. The negatives in people tend to stick to us:

" What make people think they can come in and offer you less than what is fair, and want the extras free?

That says it all !! The actions of human customers in every business from restaurants to dry cleaners to car dealers and yes to spa dealers. It is the human factor that is frustrating. That's for sure.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 02:54:01 pm by jsimo7 »

TattedVenus

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 06:28:02 pm »
Stu-

You really are sharp these past few days. Being a dealer myself, I appreciate everything you said. Wow and Thank You!

Venus

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 07:14:32 pm »
BTW it's nice to see you back Stuart! Even if you are a ranting old spa warrior. :-*

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 11:18:45 pm »
Hey thanks to all of you other old spa warriors that appreciated this! I'm glad at least a few of you got it.

JMcD,
Thanks for the call today, always good to share a laugh with a kindered spirit! Remember, one day when I'm able to snatch the bromine tablet from your hand I too will be a master!! ;)

Windy,
You are the epitome of a customer that shares good experience well. You also do a good job of understanding other sides. If I had another Master Spa hat I would send it to you (sorry I can't tell you how I destroyed them it would frighten you, at least I sent you the good ones)

I'm very proud to see Mendo, Steve, Chas, HotTubMan, salesdvl, windsurfdog and spahappy all posted on this. Kinda felt like old home week.  ;)

If the content of my ranting hurt your feelings then you might resemble something I said and need to do some examining....

Ralph Waldo Emerson said "Never underestimate the ability for the human mind to avoid intellectual thought at any physical means possible"

I truly believe that there is a large group of people that have an uncontrollable urge to think with little or no capability to do so!! ;D 8)
;)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 11:19:26 pm by stuart »

anne

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 02:34:09 am »

If the content of my ranting hurt your feelings then you might resemble something I said and need to do some examining....

Stuart,

I think that if you perceived some of us feeling attacked or hurt, it was not necessarily that we need to do some examining. I think that while you had wonderful things to say in your "rant" and your comments about the home show, you did come across, for someone who does not know you, as bitter and in need of a break. This may not have been your intention, but it did feel like you labelled "all" customers as greedy and ignornant (which is NOT a crime, even if stupidity should be). As a newcommer to this  site, I felt alientated, and felt like I should be apologizing for something I did not do. You are right, that this forum is a PERFECT arena for venting, but it felt like the venting was AT us, not TO us, if that makes sense. I did not so much pick up on humor in your conversations with customers as I did contempt.

Just putting my perception out there if you got some responses you did not expect.
Dance like nobody's watching

salesdvl

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 08:26:22 am »
Ralph Waldo Emerson said "Never underestimate the ability for the human mind to avoid intellectual thought at any physical means possible"

I thought Ralph Waldo Emerson said "Pull My Finger."  
Maybe that was Ralph Waldo Cramden.
I cant remember.  
;)   ;)
Measure once, cut twice.

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2006, 01:25:39 pm »
Just putting my perception out there if you got some responses you did not expect.

Anne,

Thanks. That was a very good post.

:)
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2006, 01:39:03 pm »
Anne,

Thanks. That was a very good post.

:)

I agree....Thanks!

spahappy

• Mind body and soul therapy right in my backyard.
e: Rantings of an old tired spa warrior....
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2006, 03:52:10 pm »
Hey thanks to all of you other old spa warriors that appreciated this! I'm glad at least a few of you got it.

I'm very proud to see Mendo, Steve, Chas, HotTubMan, salesdvl, windsurfdog and spahappy all posted on this. Kinda felt like old home week.  ;)

;)

It's nice to know that a TP vs FF debate, and a rant from an old spa warrior can bring us all back together again. ;D

I've missed you guys! BTW where's Lori?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2006, 04:08:29 pm »
YEAH good point SH...I miss my Lori... :-[  :-*

She doesn't even call anymore.... OK, she never did but still....
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 04:10:32 pm by Steve »

rocket

• Life is good!
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2006, 10:02:56 pm »
Stuart,

We have a new saying in the store,
"We can no longer expend all of our energy helping people who have made poor buying decisions."

In the past, we spent alot of time and energy trying to help spa customers who purchased poor products and can't get help from whom they purchased.  This may sound harsh ( and does to me because I a desire to help) but they made the decision and now they have to live with it.

"Even crummy spa companies have a few satisfied customers (not very many)."

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2006, 09:44:44 am »
We service our customers, that's it.  If someone chooses to buy a SpankySpa down the road, they can get them to service it (until they change brands, which happens every 6 mos).  Then, when their only option left is to trade it in on a new spa, we are happy to haul their old one off for them.

If we don't get them the first time, we usually do the second time around.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2006, 09:44:44 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42