What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electrical question  (Read 2268 times)

rick

Electrical question
« on: March 06, 2006, 04:36:33 pm »
Been running my spa off a 50amp on the panel as well as 50amp on the GFI.   It tripped maybe twice in the 2 years I've had it.  Always when both pumps are on high, stereo on, lights, etc.  

Couple of days ago, I'm running just both pumps on high for shock treatment.  Left the area for a bit and came back to find the spa dead.  Panel breaker had tripped.   I flip the breaker and get a VERY loud bang and fireball at the panel!   Scared the shhheeet outta me.  This of course, tripped main breaker, and luckily after resetting him, everything else in the house is fine.
Stupid me, tries to reset spa breaker again only to be met with the same loud bang and fireball.

Uninstalled wires from breaker and removed breaker.  

GFI never tripped at all during this.

Does this mean I had some sort of short in the panel breaker?  Do I just replace with another?

Hot Tub Forum

Electrical question
« on: March 06, 2006, 04:36:33 pm »

Bill_Stevenson

• Hot Spring Envoy
Re: Electrical question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 05:07:23 pm »
The GFI not going off simply indicates that your ground is OK.  The loud bang and all that indicates that something shorted in your control panel.  You need your dealer's qualified service tech to come fix it.  At a guess, I would look for melted wire insulation due to too high current draw somewhere in the control panel.

Regards,

Bill
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 05:08:17 pm by Bill_Stevenson »

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 06:54:57 pm »
Bill is right. It sounds like under sized wire. or it has rubbed into. Under sized wire will heat up and melt the insulation, causing a short.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 06:54:57 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42