What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: trench and wiring question- Guru or anyone??  (Read 8047 times)

anne

trench and wiring question- Guru or anyone??
« on: March 04, 2006, 12:43:32 pm »
If details like this are different brand to brand, I'll start by saying this is for my Arctic Summit:

I'm preparing the site for my tub today, and wanted to make sure that I can orient it any direction I want. Meaning, if the machanical parts (closest to where the electrical hook up will be inside) are one one side, I can still have whatever side I want to facing the house, and if needed, compensate for any extra wiring on the inside. The other option would be to dig my trench for wiring "around the corner" of the tub.

This may make the most sense to Hottub Guru or another Summit owner out there): I'd like the tub to sit so that the edge that has the controls is east. The steps will come up to the south aspect. (The SW corner of the tub has the "bench" seats) The electrical trench will run along the west aspect, and hopefully just drill into the skirt on the west side. I cannot remember where all the "guts" of the tub are, but I assume they are on the side with the controls- the E side for me. If it is better, I can dig a trench on the E side, but wont be a straight shot to the GFCI, and will be a few feet longer than if I can just bring it up the west side.

So Plan A is: control side faces E, trench comes up W side, drill in on W

Plan B is: control side faces E still, but make the trench come up to the east side (again, I'm ASSUMING this is the closest side to the "guts")

Plan C is: rotate the tub to compensate, but I'd prefer not to do this.

Sorry for the long description, and thank you!!!!
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

trench and wiring question- Guru or anyone??
« on: March 04, 2006, 12:43:32 pm »

jim97219

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: trench and wiring question- Guru or anyone??
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 01:46:26 pm »
One consideration:  I'm not an electrician but am of the belief that code dictates that the "whip," the flexible piece of conduit that goes into the hot tub control box, can only be 6' long.  I suspect that means either you'll have to use non-flex conduit inside the cabinet then switch to the flex from there or else you can't come in from the back of the tub.  And is there room along the side of the tub for conduit?  And a place to attach a conduit clamp?

If you're thinking about using romex, I'm pretty sure you can't. Again, I'm not an electrician but I believe code for a hot tub dictates that the ground wire have its own jacket and the ground wire inside romex doesn't.  In other words, you need to use individual wires, THHN/THWN, inside PVC conduit. And keep in mind fill rates for conduit.  Four 6-gauge wires requires the use of 1" conduit. Here's a link for that chart. http://www.wiktel.com/standards/conduit.htm

Finally, I'd like to suggest that if this is your first D-I-Y electrical project, you might want to get some professional help.  A hot tub isn't a good place to start.  I'd also suggest getting an electrical permit.

Jim
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 01:47:05 pm by jim97219 »

socal

• so it begins
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 02:03:15 pm »
anne,

where is the disconnect for your spa going to be???  
Marquis dealer

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 02:08:01 pm »
Grab a pre install or owners manual- they might be available online- I know Sundance's are.  In there it tells you where the wiring can come into the spa.  
Something else you mentioned was trenching.  if you bury the wire in the ground, you should be able to set your spa just about any way you want, then just trench to the places where the electrical goes in- there may be a couple of gromets where you can run your flex conduit into the control bay.  
Or you might be able to come up underneath the floor of the spa.  Again, the pre install guide would let you know the details if this is something you'd like to consider.
Brewman

SurgTec

• Up to my neck in hot water!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 03:19:39 pm »
My spa 'disconnect' is a GFI in the main power breaker box inside my house.  The conduit and wiring is run through my attic and out to the patio and directly to the spa.  This sounds so much simpler than what you all are going through!  

I guess how far you are running wire and climate are factors.  I live in Florida and I only had to run wire 75 feet or so from the breaker box.  A local licensed electrician did all the work - so I assumed that I'm "legal".

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 04:41:44 pm »
Surgtec, it may be different in Florida, but here in Missouri, code requires a "service disconnect",  that must be at least 5 feet away from the closest water in the tub. And easily accessible. The last part easily accessible is a little vague. Some put the service disconnect on the other side of a fence or inside a garage. But in reality, code wants it to be seen from the tub. This is not always possible. If someone is to come work on the unit, it should have a service disconnect so the repairman can work safely. A GFCI is not a service disconnect. Again this is required for a reason. So people won't get lazy, and not walk all the way in the house to turn power off and on. I have a picture of my work that I did, I'll try to post here.  It shows the GFCI on top left and right below the service disconnect, then the conduit goes underground to the side of the tub. Hope this helps. Many tubs aren't wired correctly.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 04:52:44 pm by galen »

SurgTec

• Up to my neck in hot water!
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 04:49:54 pm »
Galen,

I asked about a separate "service disconnect" for that very reason - and was told it was up to me  - and an extra $200 - $300 to put one in.  My GFI in the house meets "code" - but I have to be home to trip the circuit when the spa needs service.  I prefer to be present (or my spouse) for service (IF needed - not anticipated this early on  ;) ).  

galen

• Maxxus
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 05:01:02 pm »
Surgtech, again in Missouri its not up to the homeowner or the electrician. Its code period. And I'm assuming in Florida, its the same. That's national code. You were "told" wrong. And a service disconnect for my tub which requires 60 amp, which is more than an average bear. only costs 9 dollars at Lowe's. I'd get a different electrician. Or call them back and have a nice chat about work that was done improperly. This type of thing usually gets caught when its time to sell a house. This will not pass a home inspection Go outside and look at your airconditioner unit. Is there an electrical box close by? Guess what, that is a service disconnect. I'm just trying to help not cause a problem for you. I was a safety captain on a railroad for 25 years. Its habit.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 05:12:09 pm by galen »

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 07:08:08 pm »
ok anne, I am having trouble following but let me help you with what I can.  take the side of the tub that the control panel is on.  

Lets call that north for now.  Now if you consider that then east side should have your cover lifter on it.  I belive that you said you had the bar as well.  So if that is the case put it on the south side(opposite to the control panel).  Then stairs should be on the west side of the tub.  The west side of the tub is the side that has the pumps, computer etc on.  This side should stay accessible so steps is the best thing there.  Here is a pic of my tub, hope this helps you.  As for trench, it does not matter.  With the forever floor,  it is not completely straight.  It has some grooves in it that works great for them to drill underneath tub and run wire from underneath.  Thats what I did and it worked great.

dont forget, I used control panel side as north

jnsjr58

• Do like the smart piggy... build it with brick!!

RayF-1

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 10:39:59 am »
Each jurisdiction is different re: codes.

I had good luck/results contacting a local Vocational-Technical school.  Had an electrical class come out (a few nice kids) with their teacher.  (Licensed, professional, electrician.)  I bought the supplies, kids did the (supervised) work, teacher signed off on the work, no problems.

I'd planned for power supply to be attached to my house .. prof. suggested it be trenched.  All but about 2 ft. of conduit (entering back of tub from ground) is now invisible.  Dedicated power box (with fuze and cut off switch) is on garage wall.  (Local code requires that it must be "in line of vision of tub users.")

Nice work for few $$

RAY    

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 11:41:53 am »
Surgtech, again in Missouri its not up to the homeowner or the electrician. Its code period. And I'm assuming in Florida, its the same. That's national code. You were "told" wrong. And a service disconnect for my tub which requires 60 amp, which is more than an average bear. only costs 9 dollars at Lowe's. I'd get a different electrician. Or call them back and have a nice chat about work that was done improperly. This type of thing usually gets caught when its time to sell a house. This will not pass a home inspection Go outside and look at your airconditioner unit. Is there an electrical box close by? Guess what, that is a service disconnect. I'm just trying to help not cause a problem for you. I was a safety captain on a railroad for 25 years. Its habit.

Having a form of disconnect within line of sight of the spa, and no farther away than 50' (IIRC) is and has been NEC for at least several years.  A GFI in your indoor panel is fine but NEC still requires some form of outdoor disconnect.  You were either mis informed, or maybe your locale doesn't require this?  Suprising.
I'd have spent the bucks on a nearby shutoff.
Mine is a simple 60 amp a/c pullbox.  Cost me all of $25 to put it in the circuit.  
Brewman

anne

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 12:18:28 pm »
Socal,

My disconnect will be on the house, about 25 feet from the tub.

Thank you all for your helpful comments. To those encouraging me not to take this on as a first DIY project, DONT WORRY. I'm actually getting a ton of help from very experienced people- I'm not doing it alone, and its all on the up and up..... In this original post I was worrying about the orientation of the tub and it's relation to where the wires needed to end. Problem solved.  :)
Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 12:18:28 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42