What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Green residue  (Read 5390 times)

mheuple

Green residue
« on: March 03, 2006, 06:24:48 pm »
OK I have a relatively new HS Vanguard.   I recently had my water turn to a green tint.   Thought that it must be time for a water change, eventhough it tested fine (Alk, PH, all normal).   Changed the water and brought up the alk and Ph to the appropriate levels, super chlorinated.   no one has used it since then (last Sunday)  Today (friday) I go out raise the cover and there is a green residue on the top of the Tub just under the cover and the water is starting to go green.  Tested everything and its all in normal range.

What is wrong????

Hot Tub Forum

Green residue
« on: March 03, 2006, 06:24:48 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Green residue
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 06:44:13 pm »
You have to add chlorine to the tub every so often. I add chlorine every other day when I don't use the spa.

You can put about 10 PPM in and see if that clears it in 24 hours, I would run the pumps a few times to make sure chlorine runs into all the pipes. Someone more familiar with a Hot Springs can probably give specific instructions in case you don't know.

mheuple

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 07:11:39 pm »
I have a Ozanator as well.   Isn't that supposed to take care of sanitatizeing the water as well???   I thought that was the whole reason on not needing that much Chlorine.  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 07:26:59 pm »
An ozonator helps the chlorine or bromine but can't keep the tub clean. What an ozonator might do is help you use less chlorine, it depends on your usage.

If one person soaks for 20 min 2x a week you might be able to get by with a 1 PPM dose after using the tub every time you get in plus a weekly or every 2 weeks shock. If you have a party and the tub is really used, you might need 10 PPM to keep it clean.

Remember, chlorine is not an option it's a neccessity but you can run a tub without an ozonator.

I would suggest to hit the tub hard with chlorine and when it gets to 0 free chlorine try using chlorine at 1 PPM every other day, if it stays clear try every 2 days. You might find 1 PPM is not enough then go to 2.

When you test for combined chlorine you need to add 10x that amount to shock the tub. The reason why I mentioned it is with a green tub you may have a high combined chlorine level once the free chlorine goes to 0.

mheuple

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 07:36:51 pm »
Thanks, I guess a floater with chlorine is the only way to go if you miss a few days.

TubbinSoon, now we be tubbin

• Wot the
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 07:50:23 pm »
I don't think they make a chlorine for floaters. There are two main types of chlorine for home use; the pool type and the hot tub or dichlor type. Don't mix them up or get the wrong one.

Normally you put a Tblespn in...say a quart of water and stir it up so it mixes and slowly pour it in the hot tub. Leave the lid open for a short time for gas that forms to dissipate and also to kept from damaging the cover and the head cushions. Check with a chemical test kit like Taylors or other brand at Wally World or even the strips although I get different readings with them than the test kit. Please read the methods for sanitizing by Northman and Vermonter on Doc web page. The chlorine does not stay in the water like bromine from a floater. If you miss a few days, give it a larger dose to make up. You add it after you get out so the next time you get in it will not have an odor and water should be clean. When using only chlorine you can "shock" by double dosing on weekends or after a big party still just with chlorine. You don't need all the other stuff.

mheuple

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 07:59:58 pm »
Crap!!!! I have a pool and use the tablets there........both say 99% chlorine..........  I have a pool floater and just put in the tablet in that one.   (I do not normally use it in my pool.)  But thought it might do the trick with the green problem..

Another question:

the Silver thing.........does it do anything?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 08:39:54 am »
Crap!!!! I have a pool and use the tablets there........both say 99% chlorine..........  I have a pool floater and just put in the tablet in that one.   (I do not normally use it in my pool.)  But thought it might do the trick with the green problem..

Another question:

the Silver thing.........does it do anything?

Trichlor tabs or Cal Hypo tabs should not be used in a spa.  The water volume is too low for the adverse effects that a large water volume in a pool can disperse.  Use of these will void most spa warranties, including HotSpring.

Shocking once per week, even without any use, is not going to do the trick as far as sanitizing goes.  The silver thing will help.  I can go a week with Nature2, ozone, and no use after shocking with dichlor...but that is stretching it.  Without the N2, forget it.

If you want to use a floater, consider bromine.  It works very well in spas.  If you want a once per week maintenance program, look at biguanides (Baqua).  Otherwise, you need to get a good chlorine dosing program that works for you.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 08:41:40 am by tony »

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 08:58:22 am »
No manufacturer would know you used trichlor tablets if:

a) you do not let the levels get too high.

b) you adjust your TA and pH regularly.
Homeworks Financing Representative

HotTubMan

• My 2.1 cents, eh
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 09:22:49 am »

Trichlor tabs or Cal Hypo tabs should not be used in a spa.  The water volume is too low for the adverse effects that a large water volume in a pool can disperse.  Use of these will void most spa warranties, including HotSpring.

You know, you really have to dig to find that. If you visit their website, http://www.hotspring.com/Spas_Built_Last/warranty.html the warranty does not in fact state you should not use tablets. It says you have to follow the owners manual. On page 53 of said manual it does state "WARNING DO NOT use tri-chlor chlorine, bromo-chloro-dimethyl-hydantoin, ......."

That's a lot of reading for a shopper to have to do. A warranty and a 68 page document to understand all of their warranty coverage and limitations.

Do most HS dealers make it clear during a shopping experience that trichlor is not allowed? Do you tell them when they sign the deal, get the tub? I assume it is made clear verbally at some point, just curious how you HS dealers approach that.
Homeworks Financing Representative

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 11:38:07 am »
When I purchased my spa (my dealer is also a HotSpring dealer), we went through the different sanitizers to use, but nothing about what not to use.  The Sundance manual has a boxed in area regarding the use of trichlor tabs and stating that it could or would void the warranty.

mheuple

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 09:16:48 pm »
Thanks for all the help..........PS the green is gone!!  clorine is a wonderful thing. :)

salesdvl

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2006, 09:35:56 pm »
I have to be honest, when I saw the title of this thrread I assumed Vinny started it.

;D   ;D   ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 11:04:55 pm by salesdvl »
Measure once, cut twice.

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 10:42:58 pm »
Thanks for all the help..........PS the green is gone!!  clorine is a wonderful thing. :)

Yes it is.....works wonders on smells, stains, getting whites white......I haven't checked your location, but if it's warm where you are (cuz it sure isn't warm here!), you may want to scrub down the underside of your cover as well....whatever caused your green water has probably taken up residence on the underside surface....Better safe than sorry, I guess?
RIP C-Rod

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2006, 10:42:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42