What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Low TA--high PH  (Read 3267 times)

dsommerl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Low TA--high PH
« on: March 04, 2006, 01:51:59 pm »
I'm setting up my spa today.  I have a situation where my Total alkalinity is too low--yet my PH is too high.  
I'm adding baking soda to raise the "TA".  Now--if I then add acid to lowe the PH--the "TA" will move down also--correct?

IF so--how does one lower ONLY the PH--so as to maintain the TA at the correct level?  
Is this even possible?   One local guy told me to just focus on the TA and the PH will likely adjust downward on it's own.

Any help appreciated

Hot Tub Forum

Low TA--high PH
« on: March 04, 2006, 01:51:59 pm »

galen

• Maxxus
Re: Low TA--high PH
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 02:03:36 pm »
As Tony has said in some other posts, set the TA first then wait at least 6 hours before testing PH. PH usually follows suit.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 05:44:05 pm »
galen is correct.  Patience is key.  Your low TA will tend to bring your pH down.  How high is your pH and how low is your TA?  One thing you want to be careful of is very high pH because it will draw the calcium out of your water and create a sandpaper effect on your shell and plumbing.  Baking soda, because it is a weak base (pH 8.6), raises your pH in a gentle way.

If you are not too high with pH you may want to let it set and see if it comes down.

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 06:10:24 pm »
I have this same problem.  Out of the tap my TA is around 70 and my PH is 8.0+.  I've tried several methods but my PH always tends to be on the high side (7.8-7.9) even after my TA is balanced. I have to add dry acid once a week to lower my PH but eventually my TA becomes low. I add baking soda to raise the TA while not affecting my PH very much. It's a constant battle.  I'm on dichlor by the way.
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

dsommerl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 07:34:48 pm »
Looks like we have the same situation, gombo

Am getting on the Eco One system---which supposedly is more tolerant to a high PH--and supposedly has a moderating--balancing effect on TA and PH.  

Just set this up over the last couple of days---sure took my time to deal with the ALK and PH equation.   BEFORE adding the Eco one and dichlor.  adding baking soda--finally got the TA within "ideal" range---however-PH is reading at 8.4--maybe more---it's off the test strip "chart" (Leisure Time test strips).

Think I'll just monitor things  for a week or so.  IF the PH doesn't self correct down--I guess I'll get in the acid lowering "trick bag" to lower the PH.  I was told today--that once the TA is set in----the acid will tend to effect the PH much more than the TA----hoping it just adjusts on it's own OR the advisor was correct and adding acid won't drop the TA below "range".  

a real balancing act----I guess

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 07:34:48 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42