What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: shell protection  (Read 4999 times)

dsommerl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
shell protection
« on: February 27, 2006, 03:11:10 pm »
What's the truth on the need to wax or polish--apply protection to the spa's shell?  My dealer sells "Fast Gloss"--some sort of wax.
Have a Jacuzzi 375---smooth marbelized type looking finish.

Have done some searches---it seems like the consensus is to just wipe it down with Windex and be done with it.

Hot Tub Forum

shell protection
« on: February 27, 2006, 03:11:10 pm »

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
Re: shell protection
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 03:19:47 pm »
You shouldn't have to do anything below the waterline.  Above, a little windex goes a long way.   Many here have found the Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean to be effective.  I use a Tub Rub with great results.
Tub Rub
8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Tatooed_Lady

• Participating in the Witness Protection Program
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 05:01:27 pm »
are the Tub Rubs anything like those plastic scouring pads you can get at the grocer? I've dealt with the Magic Eraser around the house, they're alright.....I may try one on the tub.
RIP C-Rod

Snowbird

• What did he say?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 06:19:21 pm »
We have a Jacuzzi 385 and we use both the Tub Rubs and the Mr. Clean Eraser Pads.  Each has their place.

The Eraser Pads clean well but crumble if you use them too hard.  For light cleaning above the water line they work well with a little Windex.  We try to get as little Windex in the water as possible but I don't think it is a big deal if a little gets in (a teaspoon in 550 gallons can't do much harm).  I would be hesitant to use the E-pads below the water line because of the mess they could make if they start to crumble.

We have gone through 2 Tub Rubs and the good part is that they are much sturdier than the E-pads.  We do not use Windex with them since we use them primarily below the water line to remove that gritty stuff that occasionally settles in the tub.  Without Windex the T-Rubs don't clean as well above the water line.

Regarding wax or polish, the dealer has told me twice there is no big advantage to using them, but our tub is indoors.  If I had an outdoor tub I would wax above the water line just to get a little extra protection from UV rays and other elements.
The World Champion Pittsburgh Steelers

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 06:32:17 pm »
You shouldn't have to do anything below the waterline.  Above, a little windex goes a long way.   Many here have found the Magic Eraser from Mr. Clean to be effective.  I use a Tub Rub with great results.
Tub Rub
8)

Don't know about the tub rub but the cedar towel warming cabinet on that link looks interesting. And if the bikini clad "blonde" comes with it I might really be interested.   :P

http://www.rhtubs.com/store/towel-warmer.htm#chlorine

Too bad it is out of stock...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 06:37:13 pm by tanstaafl2 »
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

tanstaafl2

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 06:39:07 pm »
Hmm, for $1899 the bikini clad blonde would just about have to come with it to make it worthwhile...
 >:(

http://www.balticleisure.com/tw_outdoor.asp

tanstaafl2

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 06:46:54 pm »
Hmm, for $1899 the bikini clad blonde would just about have to come with it to make it worthwhile...
  >:(

http://www.balticleisure.com/tw_outdoor.asp

Hmm again. Apparently that is the cheap one. The one with the blond costs an extra $100...

http://www.heatersplus.com/towel.htm

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 08:25:57 pm »
are the Tub Rubs anything like those plastic scouring pads you can get at the grocer? I've dealt with the Magic Eraser around the house, they're alright.....I may try one on the tub.

Tub Rubs are different than the scouring pads from the grocer.  They are soft but do a great job scrubbing a tub without harm to the shell.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 08:29:56 pm »
What's the truth on the need to wax or polish--apply protection to the spa's shell?  My dealer sells "Fast Gloss"--some sort of wax.
Have a Jacuzzi 375---smooth marbelized type looking finish.

Have done some searches---it seems like the consensus is to just wipe it down with Windex and be done with it.

I've used Fast Gloss on my spa.  I actually like it, but don't think it is necessary.  I try to use it once per year, preferably during the warm weather.  After draining, apply with a cloth and wipe down.  It is very easy to apply and speedy.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 08:48:43 am »
If I had an outdoor tub I would wax above the water line just to get a little extra protection from UV rays and other elements.

UV rays should pose no problem at all to an exterior tub in the vast majority of private, non-commercial tub installations as long as the cover remains in place when the tub is not in use.  Of course, 303 Aerospace Protectant is a must for the cover. 8)
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2006, 01:47:05 pm »
Is 303 the same as Armor All?
If I could just chew through these restraints...

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 02:03:24 pm »
Is 303 the same as Armor All?

As much as a new born kitten is the same as a rattle snake.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 02:22:55 pm »
303 Protectant is much better for your cover because it contains no petroleum or silcone.  Armorall tends to make your vinyl addicted to it so it needs it more and more to keep it from drying out.  303 is like a miracle product.

dsommerl

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 02:36:22 pm »
I've always admired Armorall's business model.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 02:47:27 pm »
I've always admired Armorall's business model.

It's modeld after a very succussful columbian product.  ;)
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2006, 02:47:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42