What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Wier door  (Read 4650 times)

mxw128

• Newbie with an 05 Vanguard
Wier door
« on: February 14, 2006, 06:28:31 pm »
How freely should the weir door move up and down?  I thought it was supposed to float pretty free to accomodate the drop in water level in the filter compartment when the pumps are running.  Mine was sticking in the the up position and water would flow over it into the filter compartment, but the water level in the filter compartment was only a few inches above the filters with both pumps running.  When I pushed it down, it stayed down at the bottom.  Both floats are still there, but they dont; seem to have much authority to move the door.  Is there anyhting I can do to free it up?  Should I worry about it?

Hot Tub Forum

Wier door
« on: February 14, 2006, 06:28:31 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Wier door
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 08:42:18 am »
It should move easily up and down.  Maybe you have some buildup on the tracks, or whatever you call the friction surfaces.  You should be able to take it apart and see if it needs a good scrubbing.
Brewman

RayF-1

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 10:25:26 am »
Be alert for a hidden, waxy build-up. I've got to clean my door every couple of months or so.

RAY

J._McD

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 03:26:11 pm »
It should float freely both up and down.  We had clips that we could put on "sticky" filter gates that would insure they would go up and down.  Check with your dealer and see if he has a solution for this.  Possibly, if it were to stick in the up position it could starve the motor of water and run dry.  Check with your dealer to see if he has a remedy.

mxw128

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 12:01:32 pm »
OK, called the dealer and he referred me to their main service number.  Talked to a tech there and he said I should remove the filters and run the pumps to see if the door moves then.  He was thinking it could be resticted filters.  Now, I'm kinda against running the pumps without filtration, but per his directions I did it and it had no effect, the water level in the filter comaprtment droped to just above the filter pipes and the door did not move. (So I would think that the filters were letting plenty of water through)  Looks like I call them back on Monday.....

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 01:05:05 pm »
Running without your filters for a short time won't hurt anything if you water is clean.
I bet your gate is just a bit sticky.
Buildup of goop on the sliding surfaces can cause that to happen.

Brewman

Chas

• Mentor Level Member
  • Hot water is Cool.
    • Spas etc.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 01:25:26 pm »
This is a warranty item - assuming you have tried first to clean the track thoroughly. I have some customers who just shove the thing down and forget about it. But -

I have also replaced a few of them - the whole shebang - under warranty.
Former HotSpring Dealer - Southern Cal.

mxw128

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 12:20:00 am »
Yep, I tried removing the door first and cleaning the tracks.  There didn't seem to be anyting in there.  I'll call in for a warranty claim on Monday and see what happens.  It looks like replacing the whole assembly would be a pain, it looks like it has a bunch of adhesive around it....

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 03:18:51 am »
I have the same exact problem on my 4 month old Vanguard. What's up with hot springs anyway?
I have gurglings sounds after a water change...
I have a door that gets stuck...
I have noticed that sometimes my tub is running by itself...and nobody turned it on!!!

Don't get me wrong...it looks like a well-constructed but,  it does have issues

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 12:31:33 pm »
Markus,do Hotspring tubs have filter cycles or other programming to cause jets to turn on themselves?  It would not surprise me if that is so...the Sundance will start all jet pumps periodically to ensure that stagnant water doesn't sit in the lines.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 12:50:22 pm »
I don't believe HotSpring spas do that.  The circ pump runs and filters 24/7 and the therapy pumps filter when someone uses the spa with HS no bypass filtration.  There is also a ten minute clean cylce that you can run manually that runs the therapy pumps and thus filters.  It is a little different pocess than SD.

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 01:08:44 pm »
Thanks, Tony...sorry Markus, I was thinking (hoping) the mysterious tub self-start thing was normal...sound like it's not.

Steve

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 01:23:42 pm »
Jet pumps starting themselves on Hot Spring are warranty.  Rare, but easily fixable. ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 01:23:51 pm »
I believe most tubs "blow out" the lines every so often, this keeps water from stagnating.

My tub does this twice a day - it starts a clean cycle if the tub doesn't have a circ pump and starts a ozone cycle for tubs that have a circ pump.

I would think a call to the dealer would solve this mystery problem, if it's not supposed to do it then you can initiate a service call at the same time.

Markus

• HS Vanguard 2005
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 02:47:25 pm »
I am definately going to call the dealer on these issues...

I just saw my tub running again without anyone being around it. I tried turning it off and it wouldn't respond to the keypad.

Finally it responded (10 seconds later) and as I was walking away...it started running again on its own.

I will call the dealership/service dep't. and complain that...

The big bubbles from the circulator/ozonator are causing a loud gurgling sound...

The filter door gets stuck and doesn't move when running all jets simultaneously...

The tub is turning on and off by itself....

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 02:47:25 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42